Post-match: ELIMINATÓRIAS, R1: Chile x Brasil, 8/10/15 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2015.
  1. Win

100.0%
  2. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say they're the best team in South America right now.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Willian had a better second half than first. I thought Alves declined some in the second.

3. Terrain

Terrain Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I might be overreacting (heat of the moment), and I hate to say this, but I've had this gut feeling ever since Dunga was reinstated that we might not qualify for 2018...

Dunga's record leading up to the 2010 WC was great because of the talent he had at his disposal, but now, with Dunga as coach and our football being about the worst it's ever been, failing to qualify wouldn't surprise me.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They'd make a coaching move by then. I have a hard time seeing us not qualifying, as pessimistic as I have been.

5. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    But he was still calling guys like vagner love, Josue, etc to the team. He built that 2010 squad.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    There is a lack of talent in central midfield and striker but the other spots aren't filled with scrubs. Guys are playing at top clubs. No excuse to not have a good competitive team incapable of qualifying.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Idk what else you guys really wanted from the volantes tonight. They were solid positionally and won a lot of balls, not a lot of wasted possession either.

Mengão86 repped this.
  8. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Whoever put the blame on Oscar, Dunga, and Marquinho is dead on. Gabriel Paulista should've played or of course, thiago Silva.

Mengão86 repped this.
  9. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I sincerely think that this is all on Dunga, it's not like we don't have good or even great players. The tactics and system implemented by Dunga is amateurish. We are so easily found out it's painful. Another thing, Oscar seems to drop off in quality massively if Neymar is not on the pitch. Time for Willian to take his spot and Costa out wide.

#TiteTime?

10. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dunga's record in his second stint in OFFICIAL games: 2 wins (Venezuela and Peru, barely), 2 losses (Colombia and Chile), 1 draw (loss to Py in PKs).

And people are satisfied with friendly results....

11. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From a pure tactical standpoint dunga had his tactics spot on. Arm chair tactitians ripping him is a little naive. The substitution aspect is what failed him

Kaka10725 and celito repped this.
  12. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Agreed. I can't complain about Elias tonight and I'm not his biggest fan.

MerlinRM repped this.
  13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree. I thought it was one of the better games from a DM pairing that we have had in a while. People need to accept that we don't have a Xavi or Iniesta operating there. He system also doesn't help. Even Fabregas struggles to produce out of a double pivot. Last season, he alternated positions with Oscar that allowed him to make plays.

If I wanted to nitpick about the DMs, I'd only say that Elias could have been more active defensively in the last 20-25 min of the game, when Chile started taking control.

14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paulista is doing well at Arsenal. I don't know why Gil got the nod over him but I hope he continues to shine at Arsenal. At 24, he is exactly the type of defender we need playing during qualifying.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. He did enough to get a 0 x 0 tie which would have been a good result. Let's be honest, Chinelozinhos (Chile) were crap tonight too. The 2 balls off the post were mid-range shots. Then they had some not so dangerous speculative shots. Other than that they created 1 good chance in the 2nd half. I am guessing Dunga saw the game was under control and was hoping for the tie. When you look at the bench, it's not that inspiring. Although Oscar should have been taken off as he was horrible tonight.

I was hoping for isolation plays on the left with Douglas Costa but that didn't happen. Only player that I see pulling something special out of nowhere. Willian was probably the best out there. But he won't win you games. The defense was pretty solid overall. But again, Chile didn't look anything special. Dunga's old team would put 3 against these guys.

Dunga takes some blame but let's be honest, this generation sucks balls. Can't wait for it to pass. I don't see them winning anything.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think Neymar's absence affected Oscar. He's just in poor form and isn't regularly playing on a struggling team (Chelsea). Remember, he had a great performance vs Holland in the third place game of the WC without Neymar. He needs to ride bench for the hotter player, Lucas Lima. He needs to focus on getting back in form. The Seleção isn't the place for that.

17. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I should have specified more, as a whole in his second stint his tactics have been terrible I think. We seem rigid and insecure at the back even though our back line is probably the strongest part of the team.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For our standard, the generation is average. For world standard, we are among the best. Let's not be too harsh, now.

I agree that it seemed that Dunga was playing for the tie, but that's where he made a mistake. The team felt the failures from those missed opportunities on counter attacks. Chile started to control the game. Taking out Oscar wouldn't have changed anything as far as keeping things in control and going for a draw. Lima would have taken advantage of those opportunities. After Oscar's first half performance and the first two giveaways on counters in the second, it was time to change.

I agree that Chile wasn't that impressive. But they took advantage of the situation and lapses in attention.

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It's like the star align and karma kicked in. DL gets injured and Dunga looks to his bench and see his options are young Marquinhos and Gil. When he watch the film, he probably thinking, it would of been nice to have a defender of Silva quality ready especially away to Chile.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree about costa he has won my respect and he was always looking to do something, no fear in his game. If you look at all the leak out counters we had in the second half I think that dunga knew exactly what he was doing but like others said here Oscar needed to be taken out. Dunga is forced to use hulk as a 9 so your point about the talent is completely valid even though I have no qualms about hulk starting as the 9.

21. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Maybe internally, but outwardly he's lamenting David Luiz getting injured

22. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought chile was pretty bad honestly, I'm with celito. I also like feel like Brazil played well at times so maybe that counteracts it.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chile were just fortunate to find a goal from a set piece. It could have been us. Can't say they were dominating enough to score a goal. The counter was wide open. You're right in that maybe Lima could have done better. Fuk, maybe Kaka' could have made something on the counter. Oscar does look out of form and it's Dunga's fault he didn't notice that in training. Hopefully we see that change for the 2nd game. We can lose the odd away game, but we must win most home games.

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Honest opinions, how many teams would you guys say is player for player better than the current generation of talent?

25. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    Germany obviously
    Spain
    Maybe Argentina? They have issues too, but I'd say they're maybe better.