Electric Vehicles discussion (was NJ bans Tesla dealerships)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by puttputtfc, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also don't care too much about the tech and while highway auto pilot is very good in the TESLA, is not perfect yet.

It would be too dangerous for me to have it, because I would engage it and fall a sleep (there are ways to trick it).

Right now my goal is to never own a car again (greenest thing we can do), but if I do have to buy one, it would be electric (or hydrogen if the technology gets better and the infrastructure develops) but it would not be a Tesla, and that has nothing to do with Elon, I just don't trust the company.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Geebus....did nobody watch this movie? :eek::cautious:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i don’t trust the company because of Elon. He lies about everything.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I’m glad the VW scandal was raised

Its a good example of why weak corporate governance is dumb and bad. And it’s good there were heavy consequences.

Mike03, soccernutter and xtomx repped this.
  5. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well yes....that and also when I want to go to San Diego I don't wanna end up in Houston! :cautious:

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #956 The Jitty Slitter, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    @Yoshou

It's interesting that we've known most of this story for a while, but big media are only just starting to report it properly. Gift WAPO article

This, which we talked of at the time, is a blatant governance failure and indicates how conflicted the CEO really is.

Mike03 and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you!

song219, xtomx and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my wife is headed for a battery conference (in the Floridian Democratic Republic of DeSantistan - I advised her not to go in case she gets arrested for speaking out of turn and reassigned to a role of handmaid, but she's gotta look out for her career). One of her former coworkers from PENA (Panasonic battery manufacturing at the Tesla gigafactory in Reno) came over for dinner - he's also headed to the conference, transiting through SFO from China.

They got to talking about how Elon protects his position. He actively prevents anyone at Tesla from developing into an alternative that the board could consider as a replacement for him. One example is former CTO JB Straubel, now running a recycling technology company in Carson City, but got pushed out shortly after the gigafactory opened. A current candidate is Drew Baglino - the guy who called my wife a dingbat shortly before she left Tesla - who rose to VP but has not been given the CTO position, because Elon doesn't want him to gain additional power. She hears that his position is "precarious" - he's been able to deflect blame onto his underlings for a while now, which results in the underlings getting fired, but he's running out of underlings. He's supposed to talk at the battery conference this week, which is unusual for Tesla, they usually don't want their executives making public speeches, so this might be his attempt at a next career move. Then there's this guy Tom Zhu, who back in January was "promoted" from head of Tesla in China to head of all factories in North America, and then, silence - no mentions of this guy in the news since January.

So we talk about failure of governance from the board, but Elon apparently knows how to play the game as well, by not giving the board an easy alternative. The one counterexample is Gwynne Shotwell at SpaceX, who does seem to be competently running the thing, but also Elon doesn't interfere in SpaceX nearly as much as he does in Tesla, so the SpaceX board hasn't found it necessary to take action.

9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    But but but but..... Elon is the genius engineer and part-time rocket scientist designing the rockets and stuff! <clutches pearls>

BTW, my wife would kill me if I posted her shop talk here.

MattR and xtomx repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting stuff S.murf

I get the feeling from the court case that the Tesla board don't have any real power. In theory they do if they all came together but too many of them are Musk's creatures.

xtomx repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    All successful Roman emperors did this. The reason they were strong is because they allowed no strong subjects.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't the board just bring in someone from outside of Tesla? Like.. Say.. The former CTO working at a recycling tech company. Tesla could also benefit from a CEO from a manufacturing company.

soccernutter and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    my read of the testimony in the recent court case is most of them are musk stooges. That is how he managed to get paid a gazillion. They just go along with whatever he wants.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty accurate statement for most BoGs, tho. It's really not until you get activist board members that the BoG starts to act somewhat independent.

xtomx and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my thought.

Which is going to cause Tesla to lose market share. They need to realize that they are now a car company with technology and not a tech company with cars.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is voting for these board members?

I do get that many Elon fans own TESLA stock, but some big venture capital firms also own large shares.

I doubt those VCs would just go along with Elon poppets on the board.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #967 The Jitty Slitter, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Agreed - its pretty much the common factor in every major corporate scandal

18. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the VCs are totally fine with Elon's puppets on the board. VCs have shown themselves recently to not be the smartest tools in the shed - think SVB as an example - but they think of themselves as the best of the best, and Elon is like the ideal VC, the absolute pinnacle of how the VCs want to see themselves, so they're going to support him.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is quite interesting on some other EV projects that were at SXSW

https://the69thchamber.substack.com/p/sad-by-southwest-a-dispatch

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Right

I mean this very criticism was made of the Twitter board who were largely useless for years as the share price languished. Often the incentive seems to be to pad your own CV than to cause any problems

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF, Tesla has made the VCs an absolute crapton of money. I know Tesla took it in the shorts the last year, but it has bounced back some and, if things go right, it could continue to go up.

22. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Special Report: Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars
    By Steve Stecklow
    , Waylon Cunningham
    and Hyunjoo Jin

• Private camera recordings, captured by cars, were shared in chat rooms: ex-workers
    • Circulated clips included one of child being hit by car: ex-employees
    • Tesla says recordings made by vehicle cameras ‘remain anonymous’
    • One video showed submersible vehicle from James Bond film, owned by Elon Musk
    LONDON/SAN FRANCISCO, April 6 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc assures its millions of electric car owners that their privacy “is and will always be enormously important to us.” The cameras it builds into vehicles to assist driving, it notes on its website, are “designed from the ground up to protect your privacy.”

But between 2019 and 2022, groups of Tesla employees privately shared via an internal messaging system sometimes highly invasive videos and images recorded by customers’ car cameras, according to interviews by Reuters with nine former employees.

xtomx repped this.
  23. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Trust me, bro.

MattR repped this.
  24. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002