Election Prediction Thread.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by -cman-, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This is going to be a VERY interesting week.

It's off to a poor start for Bush: Halliburton in the news is never good for him; the 380 tons of explosives is potentially devastating; as expected, things are heating up when it comes to attacks in Iraq; and finally, Cher has implored all of her gay fans to vote for Kerry. ;)

On top of that, we have Rove's promise to unleash some "surprises" late in the game against Kerry.

I am hoping against hope that Kerry wins Florida, but I wouldn't bet one way or the other.

In Minnesota and Iowa, bad news -- including the 380 tons -- could be just enough to push Kerry ahead. I am guessing that Kerry will regain WV for the dems, but lose NM, NV and OH. Nothing scientific there, I am just acting Bush like and trusting my gut.

So, after a couple pick ups and losses on each side, I think it will come down to FLA. :eek:

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    O.k.: I've heard a ton about ppl (i.e.: undecideds) may decide to go for Bush so as not to change horses mid-stream. Yet, if that were so important for them, why are they still undecided? Basically, I think that the 2/3 undecideds go for the challenger will hold up.

Those that are predicting a Bush victory (and insinuating a slight landslide), are ya'll expecting the following to happen in the next 7 days:

1. France and Germany decide that Iraqi occupation was the right thing to do and they spearhead a large Euro rush to involvement in Iraq?

2. 800K jobs to be announced (and the affect felt immediately) when the next jobs report isn't scheduled to be released for a few more weeks

3. Medical insurance premiums miraculously going back to Y2K levels?

4. The Dow Jones to reach 12K

5. California gasoline going from $2.65 a gallon to $1.75, and hence Bush miraculously getting Cali's precious 55 EC votes? (I personally don't even fill up the tank anymore b/c it hurts. Badly.)

I'm not saying that Bush cannot win, but just that he was arguably the most popular prez in US history and has squandered the Love so much that a significant part of the populace feels ambivalent about him. The fact that it's this close so close to the election leads me to believe that there are REASONS why many are ambivalent. I don't see that ambivalence going away in 8 days.

3. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I predict that Obama will win the Illinois Senate. Outside of that it's too close to call.

I think that there will be some vicious propaganda out in the next week and how thats received could well swing the vote... I'd like to see more about stuff like losing 380 tons of explosives.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict that some disenfranchised person in either Florida or Ohio exercises their second ammendment rights against their local county clerk after being turned away from the polls.

This person will be seen by the nation as a cult hero for trying to take their country back from a corrupt government.

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to predict anything but the following certainty: Heinz-Kerry will stick her foot in her mouth at least once more before election with a public speaking gaffe; then she'll go on a long trip somewhere (France?) and not return until after election...

Oh yeah... and Bush will win election!

IntheNet
    Bush/Cheney in 2004

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. West Virginia's always been more likely to go Dem than Ohio because of the strength of the unions (not that Ohio's are weak). Given job loss, I see that being the case once again this time around, after bouncing to the Bush camp in 2000. IMHO, of course.