Election Day Smack Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by dreamer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: What Will Happen to the Liberal Love-Fest (Bush Hater Legions) on BigSoccer?

Unfortunately, yes. He won by close to 4 million votes and the Republicans now have 55 Senate seats.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: What Will Happen to the Liberal Love-Fest (Bush Hater Legions) on BigSoccer?

I'm afriad so. 5 seats in the South + SD - IL & CO

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a pretty positive spin.

-or-

You could look at it like Carville does. Your candidates were running with the advantages of a bad economy and a bad war. You spent record amounts of money in advertising. You tried like hell to bring out your base in record numbers, and were successful. But you still lost the White House by more than you did in 2000, lost seats in House and Senate, and some governonships as well.

It's time for an honest self-assessment. The Democrats need to figure out how to be more competitive in the South and how to reclaim their dominant position among hispanics.

Getting rid of the 'we're 100% right and the rest of the country is just stupid' attitude is the first step.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, nothing's gonna change. People will still be here bitching and complaining about Bush as has been the case the last four years. Some will fade as the apex of activity on this board has always come around election time. Some will revel in Bush's misfortune, other won't. It's pretty much the same.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but picking a guy who voted for the war resolution, and then passed up his two chances to legitimately, unflipfloppily repudiate the vote, negated the bad war issue. IMHO.

People who thought Saddam was involved in 9/11 overwhelmingly voted for Bush. Kerry was the wrong person to dissuade people of that false notion.

Kerry had one advantage, domestic issues. Bush had one advantage, the war on terror. Because Iraq was conflated with the WOT with many, many voters, it wasn't a plus for Kerry. Young people were the same portion of the electorate as in 2000. It's a chicken and egg question...did they not increase their portion because of the way Kerry handled Iraq, or did Iraq not turn the election for Kerry b/c the youth didn't vote? I dunno.

As far as "we're right," well, if your suggestion is that the Dems should start lying like the GOPs, that won't work. The media as a whole are too much on the conservative side. That's like saying Blackburn Rovers would be better if they had just outbid ManU for Ferdinand.

6. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA

Exactly. You present the data (as I was hoping to have done with the President election numbers) to these liberals like Claymore.... and what do they do? The try to spin it into their narrow perspectives on politics. It's not only that President Bush won the popular vote by 3.5 million in a record vote for any President in U.S history, bu there is an obvious growing trend to elect conservatives to Congress. With ALL the spit tactics of 527 groups, P.Diddy's "Vote Kerry or Die", MoveOn.org's conspiracy theories, and CNN's portrayal that Kerry is an all-mighty hero while Bush is a lame duck, they would rather deny the self-growing reality of the country they live in.

Now the liberal elite will spin it and say "the hurricanes in Florida helped Bush, there was bad weather in eastern Ohio on voting day, the P.Diddy young voters did not show up at the polls, blah blah blah..."

As long as the Democrat Party elite and their liberal pawns like Claymore continue to deny reality... the trend will continue to favor the Republican Party who win on cultural issues. I don't call myself Republican, nor do I agree with many things of the Republican Party such as gun-rights, environment-protection denial, etc., but I'll be damned if I go the "Dutch" way (as they say) which is what the Democrat Party is aiming for. I would rather sacrifice "world-popularity" and "economical powerhouse status" than sacrifice my moral dignity which is more important than any image as "free-thinkers". And apparently, the majority of Americans agree with me.

7. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    I'm not too sure where to put this. Here's as good a place as any.

But my neighborhood is very roughly split 3/4ers between LDS (Mormon) NASCAR fans & 1/4 Latinos (recent immigrants and those whose families have been in the country longer than mine has.)

But when I voted last night, I did not see a single Latino in the 45 minutes I was in line.

There were no obvious signs of voter intimidation & our Republican congressional candidate speaks fluent Spanish & is proposing an amnesty bill. I rode my bike to the polling place, figuring that I could sneak past any parking lot crowds. I wore a balaclava and carried a backpack in, so someone really should have stopped me for being a security risk.

Or maybe they just voted earlier in the day.

Or maybe they did were not too excited about choosing between a guy from the same party as Tom Tacredo & a guy whose party is in favor of abortion on demand, gay marriage and no school vouchers.

Either way, a bunch of potential Democratic voters stayed home or at least that's what it looked like.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, overall, I'm just kind of stunned that I am so out of touch with the majority of American voters. I am trying to figure out how it happens, that with all of the information available, that my conclusions based on that information are so totally different from the majority's conclusions.

I'm going to shut up now and see what happens over the next four years, but I reserve the right to scream "I TOLD YOU SO" at the top of my lungs when appropriate.

9. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you:

Scared **********less about terrorism?
    Are you a bible thumper that wants to impose your beliefs on others?
    Do you own a pickup with a shotgun rack?
    Got a hard on for Middle Eastern countries?
    Can you read?

If you said no to all of the above you're probably not a redneck.

I reserve the right to scream "I TOLD YOU SO" as well.

10. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A majority of the people that voted for Bush think that Saddam was involved in 9/11. This has nothing to do with "being touch with the heartland of America." This has everything to do with being as dumb as a sack of hair.

11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking-what angle hasn't been covered here. Since I like to look toward the future, I'd like to see a poll on what new and exciting adventure Dubya will plan for us after Iraq, whenever that is. Here's one- Venezuela. What's the name of that guy down there who keeps thumbing his nose at us? Tsk. Tsk. Snuff him. Or what about this Lula fellow in Brazil. How 'bout an old-fashioned CIA ouster? On the home front, now that oil drilling has begun to move into wilderness areas in the West, what about putting a theme park into Yellowstone, built by the same folks who gave us faux Venice, Paris & New York in Las Vegas.

12. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    I thought Syria, Iran and North Korea were next on the list. Do any of those places have oil?

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    There's a very good chance we'll get hit bigtime. This is a very serious matter.

14. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    do you have any proof to back that up? or are you just going to keep repeating this just to make yourself feel better. Every liberal i know has all these opinions that i dont neccessarily disagree with but i hate the way they say them. thay have a hollier than thou attitude. they complsin about the enviroment how we depend too much on fossil fuels for electricity etc. then what do they do they ride home in their suv's to their houses that are run by electricity. they are just as wasteful as everyone else but feel that just by announcing something that everyone realizes that they are better than them. until this kind of fuking attitude is reversed then conservatives will continue to dominate the fed. govt.

15. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You really should read more, and watch Fox less. Going to the BS boards is a good start. Keep it up. You are already smarter than the average Bush supporter.

This is a "smack" thread. Deal with it!

16. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still don't get it.

The GOP didn't just win. They skull*****ed the liberals. The fact that the GOP skull*****ed the Dems doesn't make them smart, nor the average voter smart.

But most people don't think that the GOP has a radical agenda, and a majority feel that, in general, the GOP has better ideas than the Dems. Less taxes. Less government involvement. Strong defense.

You can hang out in NoCal, munching on granola, waiting in line with New Age kooks at Michael Moore's next movie, and you still won't get it.

You're just a wee bit out of touch. Or maybe a lot. But that's pretty much Bay Area, and the rest of the country is not aligned with the Bay Area.

Topper

:D :D

17. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Er...no, they just won.

18. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    i dont watch fox

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You forgot deficit spending, a hallmark of the Reeps for 25 years.
    Now I know that this is a smack thread and I shouldn't try to get all serious, but I think that what this election proved is that there's a growing gap btw urban and rural America in the political sphere.

Take a look at this map: http://www.hannity.com/img/usa_election_map.jpg

You'll find that the vast majority of urban (i.e. densely populated) counties in this country went for Kerry, while rural counties went to Bush. Much has been said about the evangelical Christian vote making a huge difference. But I think that this is going to be a difficult tightrope act to pull off. On the one hand, you have these huge sections of the country that are buying into the GOP. But we all know that it's the urban areas that fund the GOP and the Dems. The evangelicals are already demanding to be heard (re. abortion and gay marriage), the former being a lightning rod issue that I suspect will be quite damaging to the fund-raising capacities in the big cities.

Bush is going to have to disappoint somebody. If he disappoints the evangelicals, subtract at least 3% from the Reeps in 2008. If he disappoints the big-city folk (he's already pissed off coastal California; in fact, he's blown us off completely) and their wives, then that will galvanize the left even more and it will isolate the moderates who swing GOP.