Election Day Smack Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Elections' started by dreamer, Nov 2, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altho the historical trend is for Dems to vote later than GOPs (slightly), I wonder if this election might not see a different trend, what with all the intensity on our side.

NO BAD KARMA!!!

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DON'T JINX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Obie, I've noticed a very definite increase in the shrillness of your posts the last month. What's up?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. But when you're up 3-0 in the seven-game series, you can start mapping out the parade route. Unless you're the Yankees.

OK, I'll stop now.
    What can I say -- I'm pissed when it comes to these topics. The time for reasoned, rational debate restarts tomorrow regardless of who wins.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Stop that!!!!! It's not over yet! You're tempting fate.

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Why is the media saying it's close when every one knows Bush will win easily?

Political labels aside, the media wants a close race because it makes for better ratings. It is in everyone's interest to say the race is close. It is like Monday Night Football trying to build up a crappy matchup. (The suddenly vulnerable New England Patriots will take on the surging San Francisco 49ers).

Then again, maybe it really is true that the reace is close, and we are all just being cynical.

6. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Why is the media saying it's close when every one knows Bush will win easily?

At one point, this "thread" had 50 views and noone posting in it but a dreamer.

I was hoping that this thread continued to get the attention it deserved.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

While I do agree that the media prefers a close race, where was the media in 1996 (sure, cable news networks weren't what they are now, but they were already major players) when Bob Dole was given up for them practically the moment he was nominated?

The country really is divided into red and blue, methinks.

8. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

At some point, this thread will prove to be the only worthy thread among the noice here. Mark my word, Bush will win by a landslide.

9. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That much? If so, I'll struggle to maintain my poice.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hence your handle, Dreamer. How fitting.

11. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

What's poice? Must be something difficult to maintain. Good luck.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Hopefully after this is over everybody can go back to being red, white, and blue.

13. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

That's right the nurse who named me was one smart cockie. Drop dead gorgeous too. :)

14. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

But we're still red, white and blue right now. That's why we fight like this. Nothing wrong with a little fighting now and then.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC

For this election to be a landslide, it has to take more than 3 moderate sized states to turn the result (that requires a 100 EV margin). Or Bush winning multiple solid Kerry states, or vice versa. Or for a candidate to sweep the battlegroun states, give/take a couple.

None of the above is happening. Not going to be a landslide either guy. I bet my life on it. If either candidate wins in a landslide, I will allow one of you to come to my apartment and stab me to death. That is a promise.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Make sure it's not verybdog. He'd probably bring along a digital recorder so he could post a link later.

17. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Skip Skip you're always right so by saying something to the contrary of what I know is a sure thing, you've put me between a rock and another rock. :)

But they're now saying on TV exit polls are showing positive for Kerry and negative for Bush........... Hey if lightning strikes and I turn out to be wrong, I can always blame it on the Whiskey. :)

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 hour rep limit.

19. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? So who's been right in the past? You, or shady? What's your "sure thing" record?

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not calling a Kerry win until he, you know, actually wins.

21. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

I said Microsoft was going to hit $100 but did anyone listen? Their loss. :)

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, I was considering writing in Howard Dean.

:D

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Me neither. But I might buy a bottle of champagne. Actually, two, one for Kerry, and one for a certain soccer team. :)

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, lest we celebrate too prematurely, I have to repeat the CNN numbers: 0-0

That's a statistical deadheat.

25. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the MOE is 100%