El indecido me molesta, si no me quiero, Transfer Thead 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    GunneRy repped this.
  2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The cake is a lie.

lynesjc and daedalus repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    during that time alonso won the CL, reached another final and came within a whisker of winning the league.

I guess he and rafa were not very good.

daedalus, Shen-O and thebigman repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What did denilson win again?

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hospital ball of the year. They have since retired that award, because nobody can surpass ol Neves in this category

Also world champion at most number of lazy trips resulting in dangerous free kicks around the box .

thebigman and Super Llama repped this.
  6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Damn the Denilson revisionism on here is surprising

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not really revisionism - I've said that he was very good until the back injury, and have done so for years. I think Prince has too.

DutchCane, DaPrince84 and Shen-O repped this.
  8. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    God I dunno, I remember how frustrating he was in possession. He was better at maintaining possession, but he wasn't any more incisive than Coq nowadays. And he was pretty much out to sea defensively.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  9. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He had some moments where he looked really good. I'm forgetting the exact year, but I think it was the year we had a really strong youth team in the Carling Cup - Vela, Bendtner, Denilson, and others. He never produced that on the main Arsenal stage, though.

10. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There were a lot of players from that Carling Cup era who looked like they were going to be really good.

11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    prior to that everton game, he was not the momentum killer he became and, while he was never fleet of foot, he was getting to be solid defensively.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not true.

https://arsenalcolumn.wordpress.com...-risen-from-the-shadows-to-take-centre-stage/

In 2008/2009:

Tackles won (includes aerial): 148 (average 4 per game)
    Tackles lost: 81 (average 2 per game)
    Pass interceptions: 146 (average 4 per game)
    Accurate passes: 2,009 (average 59 per game)
    Bad passes: 238 (average 7 per game)
    Assists: 7
    Goals: 3

For a 22 year old midfielder in a team badly hampered by injuries, those numbers are really, really good. Hell, those numbers are fantastic for any deep lying midfielder.

daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I'm probably biased and I'll say that I never rated Denilson. Not because he was terrible...he was a good player. But he was a momentum killer is what I remember. Defensively he wasn't okay during that stretch, but he wasn't Gilberto during a time when Gilberto's and makeleles were still useful. In 08/09 iirc he played with song behind him so that helped.

For me, he represented the tiquitaca that was the problem back then. And when cesc went out he didn't step up and create chances, or at least that's what I remember. He once had 73/73 completion and almost none of them were forward and those that were were short. I remember that he rarely bypassed defenders with his passes which is a characteristic only recently valued and led to the signing of xhaka and probably ozil as well.

I think as teams (including arsenal) started to value chance creating, ball-winning and tempo driving midfielders he couldn't find a niche since he was pretty mediocre at all of those.

Super Llama repped this.
  14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's not true.

thebigman repped this.
  15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    People remember who they like fondly

DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Eduardo even before injury

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Not true that it helped or that they played together?

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Song only played CM 14 times that season in hte premiership while Denilson got 35 matches, so it isnt a true statement.

19. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    We're songs other games at CB? I saw him as 31 league games and 48 total. Along with denilsons 51 they were on the pitch together for most of our games that season.

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im going by this
    http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/541/?t=216&s=19

By the end of the season, Song started more games as Denislon kind of faded physically.

I meant 19, not 14 tho but it wasnt enough for you to make the statement that Song was helping Denilson out a lot.

The truth is, Cesc was the problem with that midfield, not Denilson. Its why Wenger went with the 4231.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The real problem was the Flam/Fab/Hleb midfield was epic whereas the new guys who came after like the french lesbian and song weren't good enough at playing football

IMO the only dude with real class of the bunch was Diaby and we know what happened to him

Also Rosicky but he turned out to be crocked

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Not going to go back and do a game for game analysis, but if song played 19 and Denilson played 37 of the 38 then they both were on the pitch quite a bit together.

To the point, if Denilson was so good defensively then how/why did Arsene put song in the midfield?

Cesc was hurt iirc and only played 22 league games. Diaby played more that season than cesc.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not saying Denilson is as good, but Mascherano was behind Xabi Alonso.

It's called a formation and wanting complete control, Cesc could not be trusted in a two man midfield unless he had a rabid runner beside him who did nothing else but run. (Flamini)

It's why I believe Wenger needs to get with the times and start playing more central midfielders or risk losing control against better midfields.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember that as well as the chance to sign Alonso, Masch was available at westspam FFS!

But yeah - the Alonso / Masch midfield was two absolutely elite guys just starting out and was very dominate (sadly Liverpool also had many other shit players)

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    At that time Cesc was absolutely elite in the D - so he needed to be playing at the top of midfield

I am not sure he ever was that great as a proper CM but the 3 man midfield with Flam and Hleb was very very good

Lets also remember that that 2007 side also had Gallas when he was still an elite centre half

after that it all turned to shit