El indecido me molesta, si no me quiero, Transfer Thead 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some day I hope to be able to comprehend a discussion thread on Twitter.

cantona94, Fifty and crazy150 repped this.
  4. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
  5. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Translation?

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #3407 GunnerJacket, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    This is a chicken-or-egg scenario, however. In theory they could've bought any number of clubs in the EPL and done just as well because the product they were buying would still have required great investment. Yes, they may be realizing a return on their investment but it still necessitated more than $1B in total spending to achieve this state. It's the commercial branding equivalent of "If you tell a lie over and over again..." built on the same approach used by RA and only possible via the global appeal of the Premier League.

Which is to say, the products weren't underpriced. Rather, the volume of consumers who're financially equipped to do what CFG have done is extremely rare to the point of clubs can't depend on that scenario.

(Even less so if UEFA had the nerve to do what's right and not pay out so much CL money directly to the clubs.)
    This is the thing I find so frustrating. Chelsea, City and PSG are still at the stage where they need the artificial bumps to sustain their appeal, and they're getting it! Kudos to them for taking advantage of the terms presented, but it still stings and reeks of foul play that the likes of Chelsea should land a deal like that. This is why I will never root for City or Chelsea to win any game unless it aids Arsenal in the standings. Not even against Spurs. I simply can't do it.

8. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in response to him getting 6/6 on a trivia thing Arsenal had posted. No idea how that's cryptic.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wtf is happening?

darcgun repped this.
  10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from holding, nothing.

thebigman and Fifty repped this.
  11. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It looks like it's truly just about Rob Holding. If that's the case I propose we ban any mention or linking of this clown's tweets.

12. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    As if humanity wasn't dumb enough, our main source of news these days now has a character limit.

Ya, i gotcha. But it is and has worked. Chelsea are still taking loans from RA. A lot less recently, but still taking it. However, it's clear to see the growth that success has had for them. Afaik, lately RA has not influenced their commercial revenue. Despite having a smaller fan base, older stadium and little history until 2014 they've averaged 40-50% more commercial rev than us. We've leveled with them nearly, but with their new kit deals we will likely be 20-30 behind again next season.

13. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Think so? Think he was being sarcastic?

14. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never gets old. Arsene will get them to the promised top 4 land with 8 donkeys, a Czech, Mesut and Alexis. The rest is just business. I am sure it rubs on most players. They know as long as they get to top 4, all will be well.

Fifty repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Idk - I think he was referring to "stay close to Arsenal.com for any further news"

Is that normal language for the club's announcements?

I was hoping we'd sign Michael Holding instead, but total_football might explode if he knew who that was.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    we weren't already doing this? 4 of our last 6 signings were from smaller leagues/clubs.

How much lower we gonna go than Wigan in league one, lens U19 squad and fc Basel?

18. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed this quote from Gazidis. "We've got a squad now that we believe is capable of competing to win the Premier League. " Unbelievable.

cantona94 and crazy150 repped this.
  19. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Are there any more apologists still around with their blinders on. Let's all have a moment of silence and come to agreement that we are getting f'd again

cantona94 repped this.
  20. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Icardi said No and he was the last major player AW was courting.

Do they really think the fans are stupid? If we are willing to pay 20 million for Vardy, everyone knows we need help at forward. How can they think we will forget about that. Everyone knows that Arteta and Rosicky were good players when available. As good as Xhaka is, it isn't pure upgrade. It's also replacing key players as well. It's not the lack of signings that really pisses me off, it's the lies and condescending attitude of Gazidis et al that try to shove this crap down our throats and expect us to believe it. All the fans know we need more. Don't patronize us with that crap about being good enough. Nothing about being accountable if we fall just short again while signing less than we needed.

Of course we have a squad capable of competing. We've had that the last few years. What we don't have is a squad capable of winning.

21. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annnnnd the apathy for me is now full blown. That statement by gazidis tells me all I need to know. We aren't getting anyone else or if we are, he will be very underwhelming. I'm done. I'm unwilling to put any effort in supporting this joke of a board and manager if they're unwilling to make an effort to win. I would imagine that I watch less than 5 games if that this whole season now...there's no point in watching or buying merchandise anymore. I can tell you how next season will go before the first kick of the ball. Ridiculous.

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The summer is not yet over. Chill out. Wenger's come out and said we need players. Stop reading something into everything that someone says, it's not always well thought out signalling.

charlie15 repped this.
  23. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    He said we needed 2-3 players. Just like last summer:

From last summer about a year ago. And then he signed no one...

This summer he's said we will try to sign 2-3 players. By my count we are at 2 and Gazidis is now lowering expectations.

We all know AW will not overpay for some midlevel attacker. So that leaves either a sonogoesque gamble or an elite higuainesque signing. Based on Gazidis' comments, I can only see the latter happening on deadline day if there are some serious dominos falling circa bale-ozil. I'm not excited about sonogo 2.0 but it's depth at least. But surely we could have got that done so the lad could have these preseason games and help until Giroud and Sanchez are back.

Whatever the case, I think apathy is the order for the day.

DaPrince84 and cantona94 repped this.
  24. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This might be the most frustrating part to me- the fact that the team's shortcomings are usually so easily identifiable, often by Wenger himself but they aren't filled.

Arsenal fans were asking for a Xhaka-like player for how long? 10 years?

And now, even Wenger recognizes that we need more goals (thusly the ham-handed attempt at Vardy).

It's the fact that the team has had money for a few years now and STILL cannot fill the holes that even Wenger recognizes exist.

cantona94 repped this.
  25. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if things continue the way they're looking. Next summer is going to hugely suck.

AEAAFC96, Fifty and cantona94 repped this.