El Indecido Me Molesta ,Si No Me Quiero Digame-Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    slacker. :D

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We still love you BigMan... The Arsenal forum would not be the same with you~ lol
    By the way, seriously, England NT sucks and they younger crop U23 or 20's arent that good either! :)

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think they will do better than the current gen. Still better than usa with less than a quarter of the population and poor coaching/football association though

4. thedude83

thedude83 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Kansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blah, blah, blah... you have more talent than we do but what happened at the last world cup? We topped the group and you got second. Suck it

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The correlation is between number of adult players - not total population.

But where you compare between football nations like England & Brazil, then Brazil has a clear cut advantage simply because it has 4x the population.

England actually does reasonably well in football for a 'country' of its size.

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    While I think there is some validity in that argument, it doesn't tell the whole story because it ignores the competition.

English Rugby has very similar problems to english football despite having the richest league

NZ's league has pretty much zero foreigners and the rugby is of the highest standard. We also have loads of players at all levels of the english game, who take away development opportunities from the english players - but benefit from the extra opportunities and money available in the UK.

The killer app is being able to develop the most talent at the lowest price.

That is where Germany & Spain are owning england right now.

Meanwhile opportunities for young English players are hugely restricted.

mebeSajid repped this.
  7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait really? I didn't know that. Is there no catchment area at all now or has it just been expanded?

Brazil is THE statistical anomaly. Name me another country with more than 80 million people that has won the World Cup.

There isn't one. On top of that, Italy's only won one less World Cup than Brazil, and has a population a fifth of Brazil's. Similar case can be made for Germany, Spain, Holland, Argentina, France, etc, etc.

If population was such a determinant in producing quality football players, we would expect that this would similarly be the case for other sports that the country plays right? In other words, Brazil should be consistently good at other sports because it's such a big country. But it's really not, apart from windsurfing and beach volleyball. The same point can be made for India and cricket. India is a case of the "biggest cricketing power in the world just happens to be the most populous cricketing nation" but it SUCKS at every other sport, apart from like field hockey. There's obviously something else at play here. Population size is a spurious variable.

Honestly, the fact that you had to state your point in such a convoluted way (I had to read "biggest football power in the world just happens to be the most populous footballing nation" a couple times) says it all.

Don't forget that football is the most popular spectator sport in China. They just suck at playing it.

dwedan repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So usa is better then? U scored a fluke goal and we fcuked up vs algeria. We got out the groups at the euro....holland didnt so are we better than them? We took italy to pens and they easily beat germany....are we better than them....suck it

9. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    the fa blackmailed the clubs into voting yes by telling the clubs they were withholding development payments for those that voted against the change. an abuse of power and an abuse of the democratic voting system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-bad-for-the-future-of-the-English-game.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gillingham/9628629.stm

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This has all been analysed by Simon Kuper in Why England Lose so I'd recommend anyone simply read that chapter of his book ;)

Population does in fact matter when comparing apples to apples.

ie. Brazil pop 190m, Germany pop 80m and England pop 50m.

Super Llama - you are wrong about this.

The point is that population size is not the only variable, and not the most significant one.

So comparing China to England re population is pointless because the variable is drowned out by all the other factors.

Of far more importance is the number of people in the football talent pool.

According to Kuper england has issues with a shrinking talent pool.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You haven't understood the valid point flyerhawk has made to you and are now proceeding to flog a straw man ;)

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the pool.....I was in the pool. It was cold. I'm being shortchanged!

goonsquad, DaPrince84 and Tonerl repped this.
  13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    tell me this.....why aren't arsenal interested in paulinho?
    i've been wondering for a few weeks now, as he looks ideal for the premier league, but not a peep, not even any mention of "wish we could sign..." in here. how come? is it because we already have wilshere/ramsey/arteta?
    he's arguably a better fit than fellaini and would cost less.

TxTechGooner, CDM76 and deaner1971 repped this.
  14. deaner1971

deaner1971 Member+

Aug 10, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been saying this. I agree that I think he is a better fit than is Fellaini (not knocking Fellaini and not saying he isn't a good player whom I would be happy to have) but I believe he will also cost marginally less up front and less over the contract. I know he lacks BPL experience but he has the luxury of learning from a player with tons of it in Arteta. It is also a dent in the hopes of a team thathas become a table as well as cultural and geographical rival.

I say we step in with a bid of 20, ask Gilberto and Edu to act as ambassadors and see if we cannot turn this kid's head.

I think he is a very, very good player with a ton of upside. His tracking back and overall tenacity are more in the mold of the best of our recent holding/DM players and I think he ends up as a great box-to-box with a defensive bias.

We are in the market for a player like him and we are watching a rival try and lock him up. If nothing else, we have to make them pay a bit more than they want to by making an offer that they will have to match. Our silence here is baffling.

15. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not really. The rest of the world made some huge strides in the 90s and 2000s to close the gap but they haven't had much movement in the last few years.

Eventually I think you will see the disparity wind up being something close to Brazil versus the rest of the world, assuming the sport continues to grow in the rest of the world. But that is still a ways away.

16. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fellaini is far less risky. He is a proven commodity in England.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    yeah, it looks like he is going to Madrid or Inter tho.

18. SkoalFyfan

SkoalFyfan Member

Aug 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    It’s understood Wenger and Arsenal would like to see a dream partnership of Real Madrid’s Gonzalo Higuain as a central striker with Rooney playing behind him.

Does this mean we're considering going back to a 4-4-2 now? Or does Rooney then play the #10 ?
    It still baffles me how we'd even consider Rooney at 200,000 a week. He's not worth it.

19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    that reminds me, the isco to real madrid deal has been done.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    you know edu is the corinthians director of football?

21. AmericanArsenal

Jun 12, 2013
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes.

22. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Typical George

23. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So what do you call the last 8-9 years with Arsenal? Haven't won anything, but got to a few semi-finals, a cup final, and always in the CL.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the Bulls have needed a 2 guard for 5 years and passed up on one many times.

They paid Boozer.

The Bulls have a great coach and Rose, but the front office has let them down.

And hte Bulls NEED more scorers. Thats their problem.

thebigman repped this.
  25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    broke my heart, m8

thebigman repped this.