El Diez

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Wiso, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    Since cuauhtemoc is no longer with “la seleccion” who is going to wear #10 for the upcoming games?. Nery ?

What is the definition of a number 10? Does a player have to earn it? -Meaning he has to have experience with the team.

I could see Giova wearing it in the future,

but for now, who do you want to be el diez
    panama?
    Brazil?

Thoughts…..

2. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  3. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i don't care if it's gonna be his first games with El Tri, but Gio better have the number 10

4. NO8DO

NO8DO New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Guillermo Franco wore it at the WC. That said, I don't care who wears it, it's Mexico.

5. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah, doesn't matter:cool:

6. mopey04

mopey04 New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    this is one of my personal fav question the 10 shirt and no question it belongs to Grande Gio

7. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is a very interesting question... and my concern for 2010.

I don't care who wears it, but who will be Cuau's repalcement is what concerns me.

Gio can slap it on his back, deserved, but I have not seen Gio play as what I think that # should.

In the 90's we had Galindo (aka el Maestro), Cuau was his succesor. Who is next, I don't know. Zihna did sort of that role in 06 (should have been Cuau but let's not go there). I don't care who wore it in 06. Galindo wore 17?!?!

By a 10 I mean, a player who can create a goal with one simple touch. Players that make D's look out of place, out of balance, el Maestro had a surgical touch, Cuau has an ability to stun defenses...(and I don't necessarily mean by scoring)

While Marquez and Pardo have "salida" they are not true, pure playmakers that can shake a defense and set 9/10ths of a goal like Cuau sometimes can.

And while Gio, Nery, Vela are awesome, more gifted players, thay have not shown me that role as much. And while they can take players head to head and create their own opportunities and score, we need a threat behind them to be truly lethal. Some that would concern a D as opposed to having D's just stick like glue to Gio/Nery/Vela.

If Bofo elevated a bit and were consistent, he could be the one. Hobbit still has much to learn, but maybe can develop into that. They can wear the 8 or any number for all I care.

/p

8. BoostedE55AMG

BoostedE55AMG Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Attacking Miefielder = 10
    Giovani = 10

9. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Thw way hugo lines up his 11 in friendlies, they always come out 1-11 (or at least they have), so it will depend on who starts. When they turn in an official roster for tournaments (the next one being the pre-olimpico), it will be either giovani or nery.

10. mixtil36

mixtil36 Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you guys want a playmaker to wear the #10, I think it should be Andres, but I would prefer to see Nery wear it because of what he showed he can do. Eventually I think Gio will wear it but we need to make him earn it and not just give it to him.

11. RandomLx

RandomLx Member

Dec 15, 2005
    LA/OC
    Maza = #10 :d

12. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've watched all his appearances with the 1st team...he isn't even close to a 10. He's been playing as a forward with a shoot first mentality. At least right now Barca is not using him like that at all. I don't think it would be wise for him to play in a position that he hasn't been playing. He's most effective as a forward playing on the right...for now I think he should play a similar role. Nery's been playing further in the midfield with his new team...he's more of our ten.
    I don't think we really need a true 10 anyway. Our most talented, difference making player is on the wing. If we could only find someone to compliment the right side we would be set.
    Hugo is going to have his hands full in trying to fit all these guys on the field at once.

13. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    I personally don’t think that we have a real numero 10. If the definition of a #10 is the most creative player, a player who can turn a game around, a captain that can lead the team with experience and determination, then we definitely do not have one. Although Cuauhtémoc was a slow arrogant, cocky player, He really was a true 10, I can’t think of another player for Mexico that performed so well for the national team. He never wanted the ball to score; he wanted the ball to win.

That being said, I would love to see giova wearing the number 10, but I think it’s way too fast. To all who responded immediately by saying Giova should wear it right away- we’re not even sure if he’s going to start against Brazil! I personally would have cacho and nery start, sub cacho out for Giova in the half. Hugo knows what he is talking about when he says he wants to take Giova’s intro to the team one step at a time.

I would say nery is probably our number 10 against Brazil. (And not because him and cuauh roomed together – noob comment) , but because he can turn the game around with his quickness and ability to score. Or maybe Torrado, other then the last game, he’s been a great leader and his experience with la sele certainly shows in his game.

14. ЯR

ЯR New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Morocco
    Gio....unless Nery disgraces it.

15. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think we are trying to answer different questions...

The trivial one:
    Who will wear #10?

The important one:
    Who is #10?

There is a certain allure, glamour associated with 10, from the player's standpoint and just as much or more from the fans. People think the "man" should wear it.

So I think from that standpoint, if things continue like this, Gio will wear it eventually, deserved.

But to be what is generally associated with a 10, I'm not sure we have one yet.
    Someone mentioned Guardado, I beg to differ, Andres is fast, can set a deadly cross, escape while flirting with the sideline, but not create plays in the middle of the field with 4 defenders looking like "what the hell is he going to do next??".
    Nery, well, I have not seen him play at Shaktar (however that team is spelled). If they are using him as a creative guy, he needs to do a lot, and I mean a lot of maturing. In Copa America he kept the ball twice when he should have clearly passed, and (after most likely getting a new one torn out) he passed when he should have kept it. The exact opposite of what is expected from a true #10.
    Gio will not be used like that in Barca, there are a slew of guys who need to be hit by the proverbial beer truck before Gio assumes that role there. And while I think he has it in him to be a great playmaker, it would be hard for him to truly develop it playing in front of Dihno and Deco. But who knows he might.

SoCalDan, I politely disagree about not needing a 10, I mean in certain games, sure, in some of these friendlies teams hardly need a goalie. But having fast wings and 2 even 3 "matones" will get you far, but a good D will just mark their men like glue and can make that attack much less effective. We need a guy who holds the ball and just as likely set Pardo for a long distance shot, would set Nery/Gio with an advantageous position. Mexican players are not usually physically superior, that is not our strength, we need to play "entre lineas" control the ball and the rythm of the game. To me a 10 does that for a team. Helped by a guy like Torrado (recuperador nato) or even more like Marquez/Pardo who have "salida"

Disclaimer: Sorry for all the dual language used, not sure how to express them better.

Disclaimer 2: No intention to categorize Gio/Nery/Vela as pure "matones", "matones" were guys like Borgetti, Hermosillo. The current 3 create their own plays, dribble, move great with or without the ball, etc. but they are not yet a 10.

peace

/p

PS: Please no one take my opinions personally, they are just that, if we all agreed all the time this would be boring and we wouldn't learn anything from each other.

16. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I, unlike some other dudes around here, respect your opinion but I
    disagree. :) There shouldn't be a lone #10 for this team cuz there's so many that can make that amazing pass or play with Nery, Guardado, and Gio. What we need is a true number "9." Nery's great but not sure about his heading skills... Vela will hopefully be ese nueve we're lookin for, not just a header like Borgetti or a speedy player like Nery. I am in no way rippin Nery btw, he was awesome in Copa America but against Argentina we were missing ese nueve that could make the goal when we needed it.

17. Robert_08

Robert_08 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    El Paso
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  18. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    This is the first time, in a long time, that Mexico has two legit successors for the coveted number ten jersey. No one came close to challenging Cuauhtemoc, in his prime, and I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him.

Still, the fact that we have two players of the caliber of Nery and Gio that can make the no. 10 mean something, unlike Franco and Luis Garcia, well that says loads of the quality side that we have.

19. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Neither Gio nor Nery is a classic 10. Both these guys are speed demons who are dangerous on the ball and have great skills and could adapt to the role of a 10 but would be better off playing up top.

If you compare them to Argentina they are in the mold of Tevez and Messi. The thing we need is a Riquelme, and I don't think we have one.

But its not like a 10 is really that much of a necessity. Italy has Pirlo who is a great player in his own right but he is not exactly the most creative and imaginative player out there. And Italy won the world cup.

One more thing Luis Garcia is one of the best players Mexico has produced so don't hate.

20. LMexiquita

LMexiquita New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Tora Bora Cave #69
    Well vs Panama #10 is Gio for the MNT

21. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    gio wore 10 against panama. is he going to wear it in the brazil game? I thought nery played like a number 10 in the little time that they could play.

Nery plays like a mid sometimes. He goes back to the defense and is all over the field.

I would give cacho #9 and nery #10 next game..

just my opinion...

22. BoostedE55AMG

BoostedE55AMG Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    #10's pass the ball too...

Nery is no # 10...

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    The game has changed, faster more physical, which is what makes the likes of Nery and Gio great players, they have the "classic" touch, gambeta/ picardia, call it what you will, and can also keep up with the modern day football athletes.

Both are also very versatile players, which is why they don't usually play where we expect them to be. Tactics have also become more rigid, we went from seeing five strikers in the days of Pele, to teams that only field one center striker. Clemente's Spain many times played without a true striker!

Riquelme can change a games tempo by holding unto the ball plus his great distribution combine make him dangerous. Both Gio and Nery can do that but I bet Hugo prefers to exploit their velocity. In the national team Pavel Pardo is the player that gives us that 'pause', Rafael Marquez can do that too.

Pirlo might have been the motor of the team but Italy had two number 10's in Francesco Totti and Alessandro Del Piero, both of which played key roles in important victories that lead to the trophy.

He was a good striker but not a number 10 :mad:

24. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    so nery had on the #10 on the brazil game.

although he didn't play like a 10- because you have to pass the ball- i think he is the only one that could wear it for now.

25. CruzAzulino

CruzAzulino New Member

Sep 25, 2007

It Doesn't Matter Who Wears It
    Hugos ********in Gay Ass System Doesn't Include A "10" With His Gay 4-4-2
    he should go with a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2

------------------------------Ochoa----------------------------
    --Esparza------Cata---------Marquez--------Salcido----------Aldrete
    -------------------------------Torrado--------------------------
    ------Gio----------------------------------------Guardado---------
    -----------------------Nery------------------Vela--------------------

OR WHAT I WOULD USE