El Diablo to join Bolivia.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by LOCO4UNITED!!, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    actually this isn't a fact. the official calendar lists the 11 and 12th of october as an offical competitions period, not an offical fixed date for friendlies. the bolivia/honduras match is not a part of any recognized competition and the date is not fixed for friendlies, so clubs could refuse relief.

those official competitions--african wc qualifying, euro 04 and the cup match nz is in are fixed dates and clubs must comply with national association player requests
    http://images.fifa.com/calendar/calendar_2002_2004_E.pdf

2. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    While it is true that players are required to report, and teams are required to make them available and not to play them if they do not report (all under threat of fine, caution, censure, and suspension of the club),

It is my understanding that Bolivia did not do this, so I doubt that the club or the player are liable for any penalty.

Reference: Chapter XIII of the FIFA Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players

3. Ridge

Ridge New Member

marco

from yesterday's MLS Confidential:

1. MATCH DAY: Several countries have scheduled friendlies for this weekend, which is a FIFA international game window, and will thus denude MLS teams of key players.

Canada has called up Pat Onstad and Dwayne De Rosario of the Quakes. Jamaica has summoned Damani Ralph and Andy Williams of the Fire and Craig Ziadie of the MetroStars. New Zealand named Duncan Oughton (Columbus), Simon Elliott (Los Angeles) and Ryan Nelsen (D.C. United) for a game in Tehran against Iran. Bolivia has recalled D.C. midfielder Marco Etcheverry, who's played just once for his national team in the last three years.

San Jose, Los Angeles and Chicago aren't in the same boat as D.C. United, which hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet could finish as high as second. It trails the second-place Metros by three points with three games to play and is six points ahead of fifth-place Columbus, which it plays next weekend.

"This came out of the clear blue yonder," said United coach Ray Hudson of the Etcheverry call-up. "We just heard about it a couple of days ago and that's too late. We can't release him. I talked to Marco about it and he understands."

Technical Director Dave Kasper spoke by telephone with the Bolivian association officials Wednesday afternoon to inform them Etcheverry wouldn't be available.

"In the case of Ryan, they notified us a while ago," said Hudson. "We didn't want him to go and he didn't want to go, but sometimes you just have to push on.

"There should be some latitude for the clubs and the players for friendlies when they conflict with league games. I can't see Manchester United letting their players go for a friendly with a few games left in the season."

European leagues suspend play during FIFA international dates, which this weekend includes many crucial European Championship qualifiers.

Etcheverry was called as a late replacement for Julio Baldivieso, who according to a Reuters news story failed to report for training when the Bolivian team gathered in La Paz on Monday. Bolivia plays Honduras Saturday at RFK Stadium a few hours after D.C. United faces the Revs at Gillette Stadium.

"I got the message yesterday [Tuesday]," said Kasper.

In the case of one-off matches (as opposed to a tournament), FIFA regulations state a national association must notify the player and his club in writing at least 15 days in advance of the match date.

Clubs may refuse to release a player for friendly matches if the date doesn't fall within the FIFA international calendar.

For the New Zealanders, they are playing Iran in a competition called the OFC-AFC Challenge Cup. It matches teams from the Oceania and Asian confederations.

"That's a long way to go," said Kasper of Nelsen's jaunt, which took him to Dubai to meet up with the New Zealand squad and from thence to Tehran.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Re: marco

ridge, i don't want to quibble with you guys but according to the fifa calendar this isn't a "fixed date" for international friendlies, while it is for competitions. can national associations actually compel players to play in a friendly on these days? there are other days listed as fixed dates for friendlies.

doesn't a friendly have to fall on a "fixed date" in order for a national association to call the player?

5. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    screw this marco should be able to play for bolivia

who else is going to drive our midfield on saturday

this really sucks i wanted to see him in a green shirt

6. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    Dude, are u serious?

Have you seen him play, say the last 7 years?!!!? He is nothing close to what he used to be. He is an icon, but that's it. The last few matches he played for Bolivia, he was horrific.

Diablo has only gotten worse with time. IF the dude is slow for MLS, how do u think he's going to look playing in an international match?

Also, if you know anything about our national team, midfield is about the only position we have decent depth with.

I'm happy he's not playing. I loved him in the early 90's as a forward, and supported him in MLS as a midfielder (only b/c he's Bolivian), but the next match with the national team should be his retirement farewell match.

7. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    ok but baldiwazo aint playing so that really screw us up big time. i agree it should be his last match but i think this was his last chance to play for our bolivia. also he is still the master at crossings.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's a friendly, get over it.

9. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    well... he's rather useless for dc, no? so might as well get him to have some fun with the bol nats, dont you think? :)

10. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he isn't "rather useless" for DC. I don't think "having fun" outweighs his committment to United as they are in the midst of a playoff run and our crucial match vs the Revulsion this weekend far outweighs the friendly in terms of importance to Marco's career. If he/they want a testimonial match, GREAT! Just don't schedule it for the next couple of months.

11. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    i guess he feels wanted now

12. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    this is the best post ever and andy is the best poster ever. and marco is the kewlest dc player ever. there. hugs, bud.

13. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks, I feel wanted now.....