El Diablo to join Bolivia.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by LOCO4UNITED!!, Oct 7, 2003.

1. LOCO4UNITED!!

LOCO4UNITED!! New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Section #120.
    I just heard it on the radio. They interviewed Marco and he said that it's up to DC UNITED to grant him permission to play with the Bolivian National team againts Honduras.

2. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I guess he understands "retire from international football" like Michael Jordan understands "retire from the NBA"

3. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    This is good. It gives Ray Hudson a diplomatic out in not playing El Diablo.

4. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Yeah, especially since all he did against Columbus was create and score the tying goal...plus, it's not like he did anything the last time we played at NE...except draw the tying penalty in the 88th minute or so...

While I don't think Etch should start against NE, we're just a better team with him available than we are if he's 500 miles away. Odds are good that we'll need him on the field for at least part of Saturday's game.

5. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va
    i was wondering if you people that just love to bash etch all the time actually watch any of the united games? i am going to have to assume that you dont ever watch football. now im not saying this is the same diablo from a few years ago, but if you dont think he has been helping this tean win you have to be insane....of course thats just my 2 cents

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, i happen to watch plenty of DC matches and I don't think Etch is necessary. I say let him go and play. has he scored a couple of goals. sure. has he totally disappeared in most of the games that i have watched him play in this year ........ sure. Etch isn't anything close to a 90 minute player these days, and with Stoitckov available now, he provides the same minutes and older leadership that Etch brings. We gotta put some more faith in these younger guys or we are gonna continue to stagnate as a team. Those teams that are looking the best at this very moment, are teams who decided to give the young guys a chance (San Jose, Chicago, Metros as of late). When will we learn?

7. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    I would say the honorable thing for Hudson to do would be let Etch choose. Even those of who criticize Etch on these boards recognize what he's accomplished over the last seven years, and, considering that he is not a lock to start or even play, he should be granted the option to choose if he wishes to be with his national team or with DC. Nelsen is already off with NZ, so it's not like DC can say that they're not allowing anyone to go play for their national team this weekend. Let Etch choose.

(And no, I won't criticize him for either decision.)

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I believe Etch would choose to stay with DC United.

9. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    I hope he doesn't play. He is no longer an effective forward, and the midfielders we have are far better then he could ever hope to be.

10. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    I agree that he should be able to choose whether he wants report for his national team call-up or not. Whether Bolivia play him if he shows up, or whether DC plays him if he chooses not to answer the call-up, should be entirely up to the respective coaches.

11. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In 90+ minutes versus the Crew who was it that was going to score OTHER then Etcheverry?

Scruggs comment re: NE is also dead on. The guy led one of, if not THE greatest comebacks in team history up there last time we played. Does anyone need to borrow a DVD of the game to see how "well" we played without him in the first half?

I hope he plays for DC United, but will look forward to cheering for him vs. Honduras if he stays here.

12. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    why in the hell would marco play in this match? i thought the point of the match was to give bolivian players some work because they had less matches going into comebol qualifying? surely marco is not in their plans for qualifying.

nelsen is called for a "counting" type match so that makes some sense. nothing against bolivia or honduras but nothing is at stake in that match while a ton is riding on new england match. i find it hard to believe marco would leave his club facing such a match.

i want marco on our team, maybe not for 90, but he is too valuable a tool not to have use of in what is clearly the biggest match of the year. if we are gonna catch the scum, a win is a must.

13. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Hey, remember back before DC United became the Marco argument baiting internal troll fest?

This place is a frickin yawner these days.

How much longer can we continue to rehash the same old crap?

"Marco's old and slow and hurts the team."

"If you think Marco is the root of all evil then you're an idiot...in my very humble opinion."

"What do you all think of our new worthless captain Nelsen?"

"I think Nelsen is 100 times better at locker room pep talks than Marco ever was...I mean, he doesn't have an accent!"

Z
    Z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    Z
    z
    z
    z
    z
    Z
    Z
    Z

I can't believe I'm saying this, but MAN I could use a dose of sormun's happy demeanor right about now.

Tim

14. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    maybe this will be etcheverry's testimonial match although it will be a little late considering he has not played with the national side since late 2000.

vamos marco!

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    This coming from a culo, er I mean a cule. :rolleyes:

HALA MADRID!

16. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Did Bolivia really invite him? I have trouble believing this, except that they want it to be a testimonial or tribute or something quaint like that. It can't possibly be...

That's not to knock Etch, but he's winding down. His effectiveness in MLS is beginning to diminish, and that can only be magnified in the International arena. What will it benefit?

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I think the point is moot. He has a wedding to go to Saturday. :)

Thx,

Jay!

18. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...

...it's not like we have a problem with injuries, or any other players being called up. This would be the perfect time for him to leave the team for a meaningless friendly.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was interviewed on Radio Unica this morning and said he's not sure of the FBF's plans but he feels his place is with United.

20. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
  21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  22. This report, which is picked up off the Reuters wire service, not written by SI themselves, just says he has been 'called up', no confirmation of whether or not he will play. Seems consistent with the story that the Bolivian federation asked him to play but were turned down. AFAIK MLS/DC United have no obligation to release him at this short notice, for a friendly, in any case.

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    There are still conflicting reports between Goff (more reliable) and CNN & MLS News -

Doesn't seem right for Etch to be away from the club when we need him the most - I don't think he's near his best from 4-5 years ago, but he's a helluva lot better than the last 2 years - And has been pretty key player in big games - I don't know if he can go another full 90+ Sat night, but even if subbed out in the 2nd half he could still put in the beautiful leading pass and assist for a goal - (or even another beautiful dive for that matter)

That's unless he's pretty much wasted from the 5 games in 2 weeks schedule DCU just went thru - If he can't really play at all on Sat, then sure loan him out to the Bolivian Natl Team - There in RFK Sat night to appeal to the Bolivians in the area - (The Salvadorans had their team here, too) - And adding Etch would be another big draw - But only if he can't recover enough to play a full speed Sat night for DCU

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really find it amazing that folks are still ragging on Marco and counting him out despite what he has done this season for D.C. United... some of the soccer junkies are just so dense they refuse to accept Etch's contribution to DCU, indeed his leadership of DCU, depite the Captain's armband being passed to wasshisname by foolish Coach Hudson. Yep.. once again.. Marco will lead DCU and the Bolivia Team is none to stupid to notice that and grab Marco... Good!

This Bolivia matchup should be good; doubly so that Marco is involved!

IntheNet

25. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    OFFICIAL:
    El Diablo is traveling to NE and playing for DCU and not Bolivia. This was made official yesterday at the DCU practice.

FACT:
    Bolivia match is a FIFA game on a FIFA approved date. Players that are called up for National Team duty have to be released by their clubs. Clubs have no choice on the matter.

FACT:
    Our Captain, Nelsen, was called up by his Nat'l Team and he is a goner.

FACT:
    MAE was also called up, but given the team's current situation, he decided not play for his Nat'l Team. MAE had a conversation with the club officials and decided to stay with DCU.

FACT:
    Technically, the Bolivian Federation could ask FIFA to sanction DCU and MAE.

MY 2 CENTS:
    I am sure FIFA will not receive a complaint from the Bolivian Federation and MAE has talked to the officials involved to make sure things are smooth.
    I imagine MAE has asked DCU coaching staff to guarantee his services will be used for this game in NE.
    I hope Nelsen at least attempted to avoid playing with his National Team for this date, but I do not know what kind of relationship he has with them.