El Diablo gets call up...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    I miss Lisi. I liked Ziadie too. I think Ziadie could have done as well on the right side as Villegas has been doing.

Babelfish makes me laugh. At least somebody speaks worse Spanish than me.

2. Beaker

Beaker Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a chance this is just a swan song-type move? Perhaps he'll be retiring from MLS and moving to Bolivia for national team work. Maybe this is a final national team game for a once-great player who is leaving the pitch after this season.

3. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Sounds like this Vaca guy is truly cut from Marco's cloth.
    Perhaps Marco shoud just stay down there, if he'll be happier, and the cap space will be too.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You'll get to see for yourself when Dallas comes to town.

5. oscarm

oscarm Member

Oct 31, 2000
    Fairfax, Va
    A big reason any more players from outside of the Bolivian league were not called is the cost involved in bringing those players in, especially for a meaningless friendly. The FBF isn't exactly rolling around in piles of money.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's possible that the FBF saw the all-star game and called him up on that visual proof (plus a little word of mouth).

Personally though, I think this is the symbolic equivalent of a testimonial. He gets called up (for a friendly against a team that have a chance of beating). Then he hangs it up for good with the National side, retires at the end of the MLS season and voila!