PBP: El Clásico | FC Barcelona v Real Madrid | J10 - La Liga 19/20 | 18 December 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 Viscaelbarca, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wednesday 18 December 2019
    20:00 BARCELONA TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAMP NOU
    B A R C E L O N A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]
    SLL 02-03-2019 FT Real Madrid 0 : 1 Barcelona

SCdR 27-02-2019 FT Real Madrid 0 : 3 Barcelona

SCdR 06-02-2019 FT Barcelona 1 : 1 Real Madrid

SLL 28-10-2018 FT Barcelona 5 : 1 Real Madrid

SLL 06-05-2018 FT Barcelona 2 : 2 Real Madrid
    SLL 23-12-2017 FT Real Madrid 0 : 3 Barcelona

[​IMG]
    VISCAELBARCA

2. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Another La Manita:thumbsup:

3. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    This Madrid team is far from unbeatable. Problem is we aren't so hot right now either. At least the front three is kind of firing. Hoping for lots of goals from us to balance out the defensive blunders which let's be honest seem unavoidable.

4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    This is the most unpredictable Clasico ever. Madrid are absolute pants, only problem is, we aren’t much better at the moment. I always hope we can beat any team playing our brand of football. In this case however, I don’t particularly care how we do it as long as we beat the scummiest club of all.

Our midfield (and defense for obvious reasons) is what worries me. Basically two box to box midfielders and one defensive midfielder. Even if you don’t see Raki as box to box he simply isn’t dynamic enough as an attacking midfielder. Can’t stress enough how much we need a Puig-type player.

Oh well, maybe Raki can have one of those magical games. We’ll see. Visca Barca, always.

ShortyMac repped this.
  5. skalomax

skalomax Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Who's injured and/or suspended for this upcoming game?
    I want Vidal in that midfield with FDJ and Busquéts.
    I hope AG takes his chances well, I'm sure he's gonna be fed.
    Pretty nervous about this one.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Regarding suspensions all Barca players are available. No suspensions.
    (Others keep better track of injuries than I do so I'll defer to them.)

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    I don't want Raki or Vidal starting in our midfield. Give me Alena or Arthur if he's healthy.

evil_allan and ShortyMac repped this.
  8. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A win would be a great birthday present.

inswinger, Danko, celito and 1 other person repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I would prefer Authur too, but unfortunately he's out injured. Gotta be realistic - Alena won't start this one, nor should he as he's way off form. So that leaves Rakitic or Vidal (so probably Raki).

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't say they are "absolute pants" ... they found some balance in their midfield with Valverde. He looks like a real solid player and is going to be a nuisance specially if he tracks Messi. They also rested Casemiro who will be coming in fresh.

In past Clasico's they've had plenty of scoring chances but either they'd bottle them or MAtS would come up with some massive saves. I expect us to concede many chances again given the current problems in the team.

Rakitic has really fooled EV into thinking his return made the midfield better (in games where the midfield wasn't pressured) The game vs La Real is proof of it where we were overran again.

Typically we'll get scoring chances as Madrid comes out to play. Hopefully we can convert on them.

inswinger and ShortyMac repped this.
  11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Agree to disagree on the “absolute pants” bit. Have seen enough of them to be able to make that assertion. I agree that Valverde seems to be an asset for their midfield though, at least up to this point.

Conceding many chances also isn’t indicative of how “good” Madrid are but rather how sub-par our defense is at the moment. Most games this season we have conceded many chances to the opposition. Not exactly a bold prediction, albeit true.

Again, one of the most unpredictable Clasico’s ever. Most are, though, as form tends to go completely out the window when facing each other. More like a grudge match most times. We’ll see.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One positive thing is that they've been very reliant on Benzema scoring this season. At least in La Liga. I think the next highest scorer is Ramos with 3 goals. And that's with PKs. Kroos is on 3 goals too.

Jpows and ShortyMac repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the only position up in the air is RB and I think EV will go for Roberto since Madrid are missing Hazard. I don't see them playing Vin Jr. even though he did well in El Clasico last season. The other option would be Isco on the left which would really favor us. But they could come out with a diamond midfield with Isco or Modric at the top of it along a Casemiro/Valverde/Kross midfield. That would mean they don't have width, but we will be outnumbered in midfield and that will create a lot of space in between the lines. Griezmann will have to work hard to pinch in and make up for that difference.

inswinger repped this.
  14. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Honestly outside of Benzema nobody else has been scoring for them. He's the guy we got to shut down. At least try because I'm not sure we can shut down anybody.

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same line up as against La Real, meaning that Arthur still not medically cleared, and Dembele also out with a longer term injury.

The complete 18 man squad is as follows: Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Nelson Semedo, Gerard Pique, Ivan Rakitic, Sergio Busquets, Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi, Neto, Clement Lenglet, Antoine Griezmann, Jordi Alba, Carles Alena, Sergi Roberto, Frenkie de Jong, Arturo Vidal, Samuel Umtiti, Carles Perez and Ansu Fati.

First teamers who are not injured but not in the squad either are Wague and Todibo and Junior Firpo.

-----
    Madrid are missing a number of players through injury, with Marcelo, James Rodríguez, Marco Asensio, Eden Hazard and Lucas Vázquez all absent. Also missing, albeit for technical reasons, are forward Brahim Díaz, right-back Álvaro Odriozola and striker Mariano Díaz.

The 19 called up are:

Goalkeepers: Courtois, Areola & Altube.
    Defenders: Carvajal, Militao, Ramos, Varane, Nacho & Mendy.
    Midfielders: Kroos, Modric, Casemiro, Fede Valverde & Isco.
    Forwards: Benzema, Bale, Jovic, Vinicius & Rodrygo.

Danko and ShortyMac repped this.
  16. Meditative

Meditative New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Dec 14, 2019
    I think the battle will be bloody, but Barca must win.

ShortyMac repped this.
  17. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    They still have plenty of talent especially in midfield. Hope MSG go off!

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vidal apparently stormed out of practice (sounds like he even left early) after learning that he would not be starting. I love the passion he brings when he is on the pitch, but can do without the histrionics right before the biggest game of the season. Plus he is in our 18 man roster and we could in fact have used him as a sub even if he did not start (we could still use him but seems less likely now), and now that is in jeopardy, though at least Alena made the 18 man roster too. Also if correct (it is not reported in Sport.es or Marca) he tipped our rivals to our starting midfield lineup in advance: Busquets, FDJ, Rakitic. Not that they could not have guessed that given that Arthur did not make the squad and Rakitic has been starting in his place. And frankly Vidal himself should not be surprised, he has only started 5 times this season, so why the drama now (beyond trying to force his way out in January), very immature and selfish of him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...na-training-finding-not-start-El-Clasico.html

ShortyMac repped this.
  19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Send him away.
    I, too, love his fighting spirit but... no. He needs to be gone by the time February arrives.
    Assuming that's true, of course.

celito repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agree. The guy has bitched on social media before too. This wouldn't be the first occurrence.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Griezmann has been good at doing just that though. And the point you make also highlights the importance of Alba being back in the lineup.

So I'm not as worried about the MF as others. Defense is obviously worrisome though.

22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    If the reports are true than I agree that it’s time for Vidal to go. Rakitic can follow him out too as far as I’m concerned. They both seem unable to accept a secondary role and should look for consistent first team action elsewhere. We don’t need that type of drama in these crucial times.

The quicker this happens the quicker we’ll really start to inject some quality in this midfield. I love the prospect of Kai Havertz. Vidal and Raki out, Havertz and Puig in.

I will say that I’d rather have Vidal on the bench than Rakitic if it came down to it.

Oh well. As long as Valverde is in charge I can’t see changes of this magnitude taking place. Barcelona needs an overhaul, manager included.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Starts at the top. Barto should be the first to be ousted.

evil_allan repped this.
  24. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Busquets starts on the bench
    [​IMG]