Ekelund not returning; Corrales likely to Norway

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by swedcrip34, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it could be a long but interesting off-season as we watch the Quakes remade.

2. JMichaels

JMichaels New Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Ramiro's going to Norway? The people are taller there, but are the goals taller too?

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't pick up his option last season either, then re-signed him late.

"With Donovan headed to Germany and sources indicating that Ramiro Corrales will likely to be playing in Norway next year, the Earthquakes will need to find a new partner for Richard Mulrooney in the central midfield."

This is a bit like replacing the engine in your car. So let's see, we could pair Mulrooney with Dombrowski, Alvarez, or even Roner. Still, I'd like to see the Quakes use an SI spot or a discovery option to grab a central midfielder from Central America or even the Caribean. Get a guy who sees MLS as an oportunity to strut his stuff on a bigger stage. Someone who will be motivated to give his all every time he steps on the pitch.

I like this too.

"Ekelund said he hopes to remain in MLS. The Earthquakes still own his rights within the league, meaning if he finds another team to play for, a trade would have to be worked out."

Maybe RSL will take him. Could you see a central midfield tandem of Andy Williams and Ekelund? No wait, they probably hate each other. But he could end up elsewhere in the league.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

4. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is playing on turf for a couple of years, right? I could be wrong, but I don't see Ekelund and turf, even the good kind of new turf, being a good match.

Certainly mixed feelings about this. Ekelund was one of the architects of these last four wonderful years and is still an amazing player, when he is healthy. But its better to trade a guy a year too early than a year too late.
    And I think its a year too late.

Tony

5. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mean cruel and vicious.

And I wish I'd said it first.

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ramiro in Norway? That just doesn't seem like a good fit at all ("tall goal" jokes aside :) ). Maybe a good move financially but.... When is their season? If it's during the winter, that would be brutal. I hope he knows how little daylight they have in the winter. If he wants to get away from MLS for a while, Mexico would obviously be a much better fit. He spent several years of his youth there (ages 7-15, I think, according to his bio) and I think has some family there.

7. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    The Norwegian league plays a summer season.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, forget the "no daylight" comment. They have tons of it in the summer :)

9. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    To the 35th row??

10. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Yeah, Ramiro going to Norway was a shocker. Maybe they meant DeRo? It was mentioned before that DeRo is scouting teams in Norway....

11. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The likely culprit would be the salary cap. He did have to restructure his contract to play this year.

More reshuffling coming up for the 2005 season...

12. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRO? That would be tragic. Re-signing him is now priority number one.

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    He already has a contact in Norway (Wade Barrett). I wonder if Wade (or his agent) has had anything to do with this.

14. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a suprise. I wasn't expecting him back this year. Although he had a decent year, he just didn't seem to have impact on the field as past years. Going to miss how he didn't back from challenges and his short passing ability which allowed the midfield to control the game. Also, along with Agoos and Dayak, his leadership meant a lot to a young team. A true professional...

One of my favorite Ronnie memory will be the first (direct kick) goal in MLS Cup 2003, but the favorite has to be the direct kick from about 30-35 yards out at Spartan when Richard flicked the ball in the air and Ronnie blasted the ball in the back of the net.

As for Corrales, I would be suprised to see him anywhere else (I.e. other than MLS). Of course, I was surprised to see him started on the USMNT!

15. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    a great moment...

followed by the Shake with the Quakes, when someone asked where they learned that, Richard simply said "Playstation."

and it was a Playstation moment...:)