EJ to Europe before WC'06 could be a huge mistake

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drace768, Apr 25, 2005.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Many feel that it is inevitable that Eddie Johnson will go to Europe after this MLS season. While this seems like the logical next step in his development, this might be the worst thing he could do in regards to WC'06.

A move to Europe after the MLS season would mean almost no break for him in over 18 months leading up to WC'06. If he goes to a major club (MANU has been rumored) he will not start regularly right away and there could be a drop in confidence. He would not be available for many of the USMNT tune-up games that are scheduled in the spring. He would not be available to join the team until a few weeks before the start of the WC'06.

Due to all the factors above, IMO it would be better for the USMNT if he did not go to Europe until after WC'06. Of course EJ has to think of himself, but a successful run in WC'06 would send his value through the roof. EJ has said that his tentative target for Europe is after WC'06, which I hope ends up being the case. The only downside to this is his contract only runs through the end of '06, so MLS will not get as much in transfer fee. If EJ wanted to give MLS a nice parting gift, he could re-sign for 2 more years and still take a transfer. Of course this probably means less money for him, so I doubt his agent lets him do that. ;)

2. Colo-Colo

Colo-Colo New Member

Jun 13, 2000
    I think the greater concern than not getting any rest is the possibility of him going somewhere and not playing. That would do more to hurt his form than anything short of injury.

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His recent comments in the press would indicate hes not savvy enough at this stage to handle European media. Hed get roasted alive for the comments he made in the british press for instance.

4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I mean, c'mon, do the British even know what a "Grown-ass Man" is? :D

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I dont think they tabloids would get past admitting to diving and faking an injury for a while.

6. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    As opposed to polished veterans of the media like David Beckham, who would never say... admit that he intentionally fouled another player hard so he would get a yellow card, since he knew he was injured and would have to sit out the next game anyway. :D

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, but he is English - not American.

8. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with you if: GAM can't get off the bench, or only 15 minutes per game (Donavan, Casey, etc.); or goes to second tier league (Eddie Lewis, et. al); or pulls a "Kirovski."

Disagree with you if: GAM goes, AND PLAYS, in a first tier league anywhere in England-Italy-Spain-Germany (maybe even Holland).

His youth may prevent the kind of burn-out you are concerned about.

9. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the club. It depends on the club, it depends on the club. I'd love to see EJ at Man Utd, but not with all the hype and pressure that comes with it. Because the possibility of failure is much, much higher at Man Utd because there is no room for 'learning' or patience in the first team. I'd rather see EJ at a mid-table or even relegation-fighting club, simply because he wouldn't be expected to lead the Premiership in goals.

Just as Howard is expected "to record 30 clean sheets a season at Man Utd." I'm not concerned about EJ actually playing (although riding the pine for anything less than a performance-based reason would suck), but as much as him playing, playing ok-to-well, and needing time to acclimate himself to England, Holland, wherever he'd go.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If EJ doesn't sign an extension, MLS will be making a HUGE mistake if they wait until after the World Cup to sell EJ to Europe.

EJ's contract ends at the end of 2006 and the closer a contract is to ending, the less a team pays. The transfer window next summer will be the last time EJ could be sold under the current deal but with him being only six months from being available on a free, teams aren't going to pay that much.

Yes, MLS might get multiple teams bidding for EJ that might drive the value up but those teams aren't going to start with offers that are very high for a player they could get for free a few months later.

Barring an extension, MLS has to sell EJ this summer or in January or else have to settle for far less than he's worth next summer or lose him on a free - worst case scenario - when his deal ends.

What EJ needs to ensure his interests are being looked after is to make sure whomever buys him has to shell out mad cash for him. If a team invests a lot in him then it's harder to justify sitting him. And by a lot I mean like 10 million dollars, minimum.

If a team pays that kind of cash for EJ, they're gonna play him though the way EJ is playing right now, he could go to almost any team in the world and play regularly.

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing what Holland has done for Beasley, I would like to see the Grown Ass Man get fat off of all the cupcake teams in the Dutch league and then move on to a bigger league when the time comes. I wouldn't want to see him play for a big club and get lost with 4-5 other forwards who are as good or better. Manchester United would be a terrible move for him...look at what happened to Kezman at Chelsea...

12. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I like the ideas in the original post and I agree that it would be very very bad for both EJ and the USMNT for him to go to Europe and sit the bench or get 15 min/game.

And the chances of him starting at ManU are about zero. At the very very least, either Rooney or Van Nistelrooy would need to be hurt. Maybe EJ could fight it out with Smith and Saha for the 3rd in line position, but Rooney and Van Nistelrooy are simply untouchable because SAF loves them almost as much as he loves Roy Keane. So ManU is a bad bad move for EJ. Unfortunately, they seem to be one of the most likely squads to pick him up as they've already had him on trial and gave him the whole "all you need is just the 75% caps you need for a work permit and we'll sign you" talk.

The fact that Benfica tried to swoop in early is good because that shows that the world is watching and maybe the dream move, which would be for EJ to go to a mid table EPL squad like Man City, or to a midtable Bundesliga, La Liga (very unlikely), or Serie A (even more unlikely), or top Dutch team (bingo).

I'd love to see EJ at PSV, I know he'd prosper. His skills would work well with their current squad and he'd rack up goals. The problem is, EJ might actually be too expensive for PSV come this summer or whenever he does move. It seems like more than 5 million is needed, and PSV is pretty frugal when it comes to buying (not that 5 million is out of their range, but its a lot). Maybe Ajax could buy him (possible), or AZ Alkmaar (doubt it).

My guess is that MLS will hold onto EJ until this coming winter and sell him during that transfer window. They probably want him for when Dallas opens their new stadium, and would like to keep FC Dallas together this year because bringing the Dallas market back up to where they'd like it is very important and is worth a lot more than whatever transfer money they'll lose by holding onto EJ until the winter. By the way, if EJ is transferred this winter, I don't think MLS will take much of a hit money wise because EJ still has another year on his contract AND teams will be worried about his value skyrocketing after the World Cup and will want to buy him before that.

13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Hey, gang, let's not forget that playing soccer is his job. If the right offer comes along, he may have to take it. At the end of the day, it is about the scarole. Now, will the short term cash mess with his long term development and therefore his long term paycheck? Who knows?

But if I were him, I'd be at least considering the do-rei-mi.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Wait until Eddie meets Scary Spice or some other skanky Euro pop tart. Or a Page 3 girl. Or worse, a gut-spilling nanny. :eek:

15. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

What about Germany? Or are still many of members here a bit sceptic
    about Germany dissapointed that we have not given Donovan chance?
    I think for EJ wuld be Germany good, or England. Chelsea?
    I would be very happy if we in Germany had much more American players.

bltleo
    GERMANY

16. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a selfish perspective, I'd love to see him go to Portsmouth. Pompey will be losing Aiyegbeni Yakubu this off-season and will be looking for a target striker to play up front with the creativity and flair of Lomana LuaLua.

I wonder how he would grow under the coaching of Frenchman Alain Perrin?

17. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I think EJ's style is most conducive to an up tempo league like the EPL, Dutch or even French Ligue 1.

I can't see an American player starring in La Liga or Serie A any time soon.

I don't think a move to Europe will be a mistake as long as he is going to get some minutes on the pitch as others have pointed out.