EJ running mate candidates

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. One More Year

One More Year New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Frisco
    What is the deal with Reyes? Is he staying? I think a little more training and time with the team and he could be very useful. He is just so dang fast.

2. One More Year

One More Year New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Frisco
    How about Ali Karimi from Al Nasr. That guy can play. I am pretty sure he is way too expensive but who knows?

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a clue but believe he followed Flamengo when he was a kid, and they are red and black. Could have set up a red and black exchange around the world. AC Milan, Atlas etc. Now I guess red, white and blue teams.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yea my Persian side would definetly love that, he lit it up this summer at the Asian Cup...but I hear he's on for bigger things, but who knows.

5. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Yeah, really. It may be one of the world's great mysteries.

6. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the Wadespeak Primer vol. 2:

Rigid Panda Abortion - (adj) 1] obscene. 2] Also known as RPA. 3] The obscene sight of white lines and purple end zones when trying to watch the beautiful game

Additional Recommended Reading:

The Lord of The Rings
    Free Masons Through the Ages
    Buckminster Fuller and the coming revolution
    The Illuminati, Black Helicopters, and Other Conspiracy Theories
    White Salamanders and Other Dream Symbols
    Little Known Battles and Events in North American History
    Flags of the United States Through History
    Vexiology and the Study of Flags Around the World
    The Encyclopedia of Soccer
    MENSA and the 99th Percentile
    Rainmakers: The Art of The Successful Businessman
    Sun Tzu: The Art of War

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the ads they cram down my screen they don't need my $15 to pay the bills, that is a load of crap.

And there are 4 or 5 other boards out there that can be used that don't ask for money. Matchnight has one for example. But so does Onion Bag, and USsoccer.uk... I bet I can find ten more if I cared to.

8. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Thanks, chaz, for the clarification. I thought it was a Southlake reference but I couldn't quite figure it out.

Just thinking about that reading list makes my brain hurt!

9. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    But bigsoccer is special because we're all here, right?! :D

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That my friend is a solvable problem.

not saying I don't enjoy big soccer from time to time.

But you are right it is only "special" becasue of the people that come here, not becasue it's functionality. And they are charging YOU money. You being the very thing that makes it worthwhile.

11. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer.com has a lot more requirements than any of those you mentioned. There are 49,229 registered users. Unfortunately they don't report how many users are active at a given moment anymore, but I guarantee it's a lot more than the other sites you mentioned.

Matchnight has 1,938 registered users, and the most users they've ever had online at a given time was 424. That's not a heavy load, thus they don't need a whole lot of bandwidth or top-end servers.

The Onion Bag has 1,368 registered users - still not very many. I don't know what their maximum or average load is, but there have only been 11 users active in the past 15 minutes.

USSoccerUK has even less: 720 registered users. Again, I don't know what their maximum or average load is, but there are a whopping 2 users online now.

The simple fact is that bandwidth and storage is not free. Somebody's got to pay for it. Banner ads & popups don't cover near the costs that they once did (pre-dot-com bubble-burst). Is $15/year too much to ask for? Quite possibly, but they don't require every member to pay. They just add 'extra features' as an incentive so that SOMEBODY will pay. Did I give them $15 so that I could post an avatar and get a sig? No. I payed them for 2 reasons: 1) I appreciate the service they offer and think they should get a little something in return, and 2) I *never* get "Server load is too high" errors anymore. Either of those reasons alone are enough for me to part with $15.

To say that needing $15 from a few people is "a load of crap" is a bit short sighted. You should find out exactly what their eqipment costs are before you do that. Servers ain't cheap. Do they need $15 from everyone? No. Do they need $15 from a small percentage (rest assured only a small percentage do pay) of the users? Probably. I just don't mind being one of them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to start paying. By all means, there's nothing wrong with using the site for free. They give everyone that option. But to imply that they are "evil", "tyranical", or however it was put when they ask for those willing to pitch in $15 is just silly. They've got to make a living too.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not offer those example to point out they are better... just that their are other places than bigsoccer. The fact you think the other places are below standard or that bigsoccer has something of greater value than the rest (other than the people who come here) shows that their plan to brand bigsoccer has worked.

Between the three ads per page, and the shop, and the hosting they do of other sites... bigsoccer gets plenty of revenue to pay for their servers. Message boards are THE way to generate traffic on the net. Every time you come here to post something you put money in someone else's pocket by advertising $ on page views. Every single person you talk to in the internet business will tell you to add boards to your site if you want to make "real money." Why do you think people like Bigsoccer, Onion bag, and Matchnight all actively recruit good soccer sites and offer to host for free. Board traffic that is why. I can't tell you how often I am recruited by people with message boards, including this one several times in the past.

Readers, users, and posters come to any site for content. A news site puts up content for you to read. On a bulletin board the users put up the content. On big soccer in order to make even more money than they do from ads they created a second tier service that requires money. They created services you get for that money, but they also created hindrances to the free sub that drives subscribers to their $ sub. That busy server thing had to be coded, they had to make it. If they didn't you would get a 404 and it would come to any and all users. By making a second tier of member who can bypass that, they drive $ subs to make revenue. There is no 'need' for the subs to keep them on line, the subs are just one more revenue stream.

USsocceruk does the same thing, by creating a second tier of subscriber that gets a service, in their case they off content to that second level that the normal level can't get.

Matchnight too is in the business to make money. They guy who runs it owns an internet company and has several big fat servers that handle much more load than the little it uses on it's boards. That company host a bunch of site and does design and build work. matchnight is a side project the guy does with the big servers and engines he has for the "real" work that the company does. Matchnight is but a small little corner of what they really do. But that doesn't change that fact they would sell ads and make money in a heart beat if they could. The reason I moved 3rd Degree there and not a place like OB or BS was the fat database server side apps they can do for me to make my news end content better.

The old Burn site had boards, do you really think it was as a "service" to fans? No. Traffic. Period. Why do you think the news FO are trying so hard to make their site better. So you will go there.

These days memory and bandwidth is incredibly cheap. Staff to produce content... I.e. writers, is the expensive part. That is why the message board is such a brilliant model. Content creation is free, revenue is pure gravy. Everything that a reader needs to make bigsoccer work is free, just like all those other site work for free.

Feel free to pay them if you want. But I never will. This may be the stuck up part or the big headed part but I feel like I add a real service and real content to bigsoccer. No way in the world am I gonna pay to do that, they should be paying me. I can get a board any place I want and time I want. I come here to post because there are more people her. That's it. More people means more spread of information.

Do I get traffic to 3rd Degree because of my posting here? Sure. Hell I would make money if I could. 3rd Degree is my hobby, but If I could make enough money with it to quit my real job I would do it in a heart beat. Can you imagine getting paid to do your hobby? But 3rd Degree makes no money and it may be decades before it does. The entire thing is done for my love of the game. 8 years of work, 8 years of going to practice, 8 years of paying my own travel costs (except the preseason tours), 8 years of expenses, thousand of dollars in equipment, 20 to 30 hours of work a week on the site. It ads up.

I will never pay for bigsoccer for something I should be getting for free, and maybe even paid for. If it comes to it I will go somewhere else.

13. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I just want to touch on a couple of things from your latest post and then I'll leave this off-topic-ness and get back to "EJ running mate candidates" (my apologies to everyone else for the wandering)

I never said they were below standard or that bigsoccer has something of greater value. I said their technological needs aren't that of bigsoccer's. (the Matchnight people may have a greater need of equipment, but the matchnight portion of their stuff does not) The only reason I chose bigsoccer over the others is that I was dragged into the bigsoccer world by TA, Zen, and Chaz that first day I met the Inferno. Before then I didn't go to ANY soccer forums. I come to BigSoccer to communicate with Inferno members primarily. If the Inferno members posted in the Inferno forum as much as they posted here, I'd probably come to BigSoccer a LOT less often.

You got one thing right. There was code that had to be written, but not in the way you suggest. At least, they didn't need to do it the way you imply. I won't write all the code for you, but here's the general idea:
    #1 User hits server
    #2 Does user have bigsoccer cookie?
    No -> go to free-users server(s) [#3]
    Yes -> Are you a paid member?
    No -> go to free-users server(s) [#3]
    Yes -> Go to paid-users server(s) [#4]
    #3 Is maximum server connection reached?
    No -> Display page
    Yes -> Display server busy error
    #4 Is maximum server connection reached?
    No -> Display page
    Yes -> Is this the last server to try?
    No -> Try next paid-users server [#4]
    Yes -> Display server busy error

No 404 is neccessary (incidently, it wouldn't be a 404, it would be a 502 or a 503 if the server were too busy to respond, but you can code it like I just showed to ensure you never got one [unless you're being DDoS attacked, that is])

I will. I'm not saying you have to. My point is we shouldn't complain that BigSoccer is trying to make a few bucks...whether they are just recouping expenses or making profit (clearly the latter).

Indeed I can - I did get paid to do my hobby. Unfortunately, in my case, it caused me to lose the love I had for it. It's amazing how something you love can become a chore when it's your job. I'm not saying that would happen to you. I hope one day you can quit watching cars turn left, run 3rd Degree full time, and become rich and powerful, swimming in your money like Scrooge McDuff (anyone else remember that cartoon). That would be great, and you'd deserve it for all the great coverage you've given the community the past 8 years.

14. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Become a mod, it help solve all problems. :)

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Getting back on topic here.

Looked up on some info for Jeremie Aliadiere and he is 21. He had a knee injury earlier in the season, but is expected back in March or April.

Now before anyone says you only like him because he plays for Arsenal, you are only .01% correct.

1. He is young(21) and fits under the YI(youth international)/whatever you call the dev. section these days.

2. He has played in the big stages before. He made his debut against Liverpool(saw the game and he played very welltoo I might add), Leage Cup, FA Cup, and Champions League.

3. Plays on the U-21 Frane Team.

4. Should be avaible for loan for at least one or two season(would liek to buy him however).

5. Improvement over JK9 and Toni.

6. Has played long side the main striker/as a support striker role.

Is he Latino? No. Does he need to be? NO! Does he need to be able to get the job done? YES! Is he affordable? MAYBE! It would be worth checking out though.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is my very point. They only thing that big soccer has of real value is the people that come here. The very people they then ask for money.

17. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Isn't he from France?

I thought this makes him Latino.

18. yawnysan

yawnysan New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Land of Gar
    Club:
    FC Dallas

19. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, Latino=Mexico, Central America, and South America. Thats what it is in my books. If there is another name for this region, please let me know.

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You much have missed the 6 points I left for you to read.

Here is a question for ya, why Pennant and Bently(both England U-21) have been sent out on loan for a season even though they have very big things ahead of them? And I'm talking a straight up loan here, not some oh lets swap players around.

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Uhh...you sure about that one, Buzz? Bergin keeps pimpin' that Platinum service on his site where the latest breaking rumors (read: figments of his imagination) are posted. At least a user on bigsoccer who doesn't pay gets ALL the content available on this site, not true for ussocceruk.com. That, IMO, is worse.

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true in regard to that site. But I did mention that it is was a second tier service like bigsoccer has, just just content based instead of access based. I do thikn Bergin is out of line charging like that.

And my general point still holds that you could get the exact same technical service other places. It's only the people here that make BS better, and that can be changed.

it's also clear that virtually everyone else on here doesn't agree with me and thinks BS has something special that makes it worth money. So let's move on.

23. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    In my opinion, Aliadiere is simply not realistic. I agree with the earlier poster who said he is being groomed for big things. The things I have read about him indicate he is 'really' one of the up and comers that Wenger expects to be first team in the next 2 to 3 years. There is simply no way that Arsenal would send him to MLS for that time. At a minimum, they would loan him w/in EPL or Championship where they can constantly monitor and scout him. On top of that, I'm not convinced MLS/FCD/Hunts would pay what he is currently making for a year's loan. Just my opinion.

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Don't get me wrong....I agree with you and Brushes on this point. I just particularly dislike the way Bergin runs his site. I don't think BS is worth the money. To make your point even more, there is no reason that the Inferno board (the-inferno.net) couldn't replace the FCD Big Soccer board. Those that think we should pay for BigSoccer - care to tell me why that can't happen? Heck, for some part it already has. And somehow that board is free.

25. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    When I created the Inferno Forum; I had a team effort in mind. The result was a matter of convenience. I take responsibility in resigning.

With the recent insurgence of "new blood" into the Inferno; cooperative participation could overachieve "convenience".. if growth is a shared goal and not an 'afterthought' of "convenience". Heck, even ElJefe, who has a vested interest as a leader/moderator on this board - has posted to the Inferno Forum.

I've always been interested in adding my value to a team effort - as long as basic principles of growth are adopted. I support growing the FC Dallas fan base; and I am willing to re-invest my value when HSG shows results of its claims to bringing in Latino talent.

I will bridge the gap when HSG does its part as the center of the ripple effect.

Back on topic; I want to bring in Ruiz and have the new Inferno members teach him ethical behavior that will promote this league above and beyond any representation provided to us from around the world.

:)