EJ running mate candidates

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX

Toni is one odd player. I've never seen a forward less interested in scoring goals. Not that he can't but Nhelko won't actually look for a shot unless he's right in front of the net. He does offer excellent distribution and can hold almost anyone off the ball so not a bad player to have around but not someone to pencil in as 2nd striker.

My off the wall name for the striker search is Jordi Cruyff, who is currently out of contract after leaving Espanyol. Despite being a Dutch international he was never comfortable having to live up to his father's immense reputation so the U.S. would be the perfectly place to play. Still only 30 Jordi should have several more years as a top flight player. Cruyff would be a wonderfull linking player and could probably knock in 10-15 goals as well. Plus he's a pretty boy which should attract the soccer moms.

2. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    In the spirit of GE's mantra, "Winning is our Ethnicity",
    and the idea that we want THE BEST AVIALABLE PLAYER (PER HSG $$),
    I want to know what Ivan Guerrero's deal is, can we get him
    for the left side of midfield, and who then becomes the target for
    our schemer?

I don't think HSG is going to give Viking the "best player in MLS".
    I don't think HSG is going to get us "the million dollar striker".

I'm of the mind that the BIG NAMES and BIG DOLLARS (in HSG terms)
    should be spent at left mid and schemer.

Guerrero for left mid.

-bs

3. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    'ya think ??

I know GE is smarter than that, but remember who he works for.

-bs

4. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drummr Boy - yes there are several people in the FO who are fluent spanish speakers.

Pegasus - On your point re FO purge, Victor is also gone. And I heartily concur with your point that the loss of key hispanics, if replaced with equivalent TALENT on the field, would have been acceptable.

Scipio and burning247 - I do not remember Theo supporting the race argument. Rather he is vociferous in his support of a specific STYLE of play. That style has a name - "Latin Style of Play" - and that is where some of the confusion comes from.
    (admittedly, some of the confusion comes from Theo's choice of words when posts - but I think he does that on purpose just to see how every one 'responds')

Theo - Please remember that one of the main stated criteria for players being brought to FCD is that of character, and desire to be here as part of the TEAM. These seem to be very subjective criteria, but are important enough to the coaching staff and FO that meeting this criteria (or not) can be the deciding factor if candidates have equal 'talent' but different styles.

Note to all - these are only opinions expressed as part of a discussion. Let's be sure we all continue to discuss.

5. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Thank you Chaz.

As to Simo, he does work his butt off. Yes he is much tougher than Deering ever dreamed of being. However, you would think that those qualities, (gut,s effort, pride, and toughness), could easily be found from domestic sources. After the long awaited CC signing came down the pike, I was so pissed. No, not a creative playmaker, no not a excitement generating forward-- instead we signed the hockey equivalent of a goon. (don't get me wrong, you need those types). However, I expected so much more. He is not an effective linking player. He will kick the snot out of an opponent. I am still in waiting for the stylistically imprinting player.

As to the question about wishing to be here as a primary consideration to getting employement on the roster. Well, of course. However, if you are finding a good portion of the knowledgeable soccer world turning thier noses at the way you do things, maybe you should look to improve more than just the roster. Examine why those perceptions or realities about your franchise exist.

The Wanchope question is a pointless silly excecise. At his salary level, high performance in one of the world's super leagues, and stylistic preferences of play he is literally out of our league. However the comment that he lacks MLS fitness is wrong wrong wrong. Those who follow and rank Concacaf National team players put him far above any other. Donovan and McBride don't even crack the top 4 and they are too good for MLS. I just watched Wanchope run end to end the full 90 in a qualifier against Honduras. I don't know too many forwards that have that type of heart or endurance at any age. Check him out in the Hex. You will see what I mean.

As to the best player available, we all agree. Heck if Thierry Henry wants to play in Dallas, you won't find me knocking him. That ain't happening. I think that consensus here is that if you target a high profile Latin player, this will be a bonus at the gate. Now, we get back to the "must want to be here" caveat. What if you are a big time latin "STYLE" player, but the organization that enquires about you is into an antiquated old school Euro style? This becomes a deal killer. That is why I advocate for a new deal maker.

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well if we want a new deal maker, we need new ownership who is willing to pay the money.

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

And how many minutes does Wanchope have this season for Mancity ???

-bs

8. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    0. As was previosly mentioned City sold his contract to Malaga before the season. There he's first choice along with Marcio Amoroso.

9. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Don't come to the Dallas boards a lot but what do you guys think about Colin Clarke as a coach? Do you think he was the right man for the job? Do you think he's going to take the team places? I really havent watched Dallas enough to assess them or Clarke.

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple points...

1. This franchise had been trying to replace Leonel Alvarez on the field since he left.

2. These kinds of players you can find in the US, but you can't get them. What do you think it would cost to get Armas, Mastroeni, Mulrooney, Zavagnin, or even a kid like Ricardo Clarke? Loads is what. Talent Dallas didn't (and maybe still doesn't) have to trade. You can probably only get Clarke for a load of cap space in return.

3. FCD planned to move Davis into the middle where he played for the Olympic Team. As much as you don't like him, that was still the plan. I happened to think it was a good idea and wish they had not given up on it so fast. But others do not and that is fine.

4. HSG, FCD, Elliott, and Clarke said for 6 months the primary target was a holding type midfielder to give grit, strength, and ball winning to the midfield.

So while you can certainly feel pissed about it on the basis of the player, you should not be on the level you were suprised or upset about the kind of player. They were saying it was coming for 6 months.

11. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I echo Buzz on this one. This position is highly important on the team & getting a top notch D-mid is not so easy methinks. The difference between Chad playing like the Nats player he once was & playing like an average D-mid was far too often the difference in the Burn looking smooth & crisp or looking like absolute crap.

IMHO the acquisition of Simo was a perfect use of their allocation & SI spot IF (and that's a big if) they find an equally good creative or attacking player with the Adu allocation.

12. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    most.sensible.wade.post.ever

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for factual accuracy, Simo was a discovery signing. NOT an allocaiton.

14. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    oops.

15. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    If Simo worked on less tackling and more awareness of his most effective positioning when defending, his salary may be justified.

But, as of now, I'm with Theo on this one. Simo does not distribute well and he spends a lot-of-time off his feet. Man marking is critical too; especially when an outside back is pushing and is out of position.

Does CC have the ability to maximize Simo's potential?.. or is Simo just a reflection of what CC has to offer... ... ...

This is the main reason why I don't expect FC Dallas to contribute to Copa viability. And this effect has trickled down from irresponsible leadership.

But, back on topic, I'm not interested in Ruiz being ineffective "off his feet" also. Can we find someone who actually wants to advance The Beautiful Game by representing FC Dallas and MLS responsibly?

16. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A defensive midfielder is not suppose to distribute the ball. That is the job of the other central mid. A DM is suppose to take out one of the oppositions key players.

17. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Actually, Deering not only broke up attacks in the defensive third in his prime; but he also distributed the ball laterally - very effectively.

In order for a tackling DM to be effective; he needs someone else close by to gather the ball while he is still on the ground - otherwise the attacking player will just regain the ball. Again, Deering, in his prime - managed to stay on his feet AND gather the ball.. AND distribute well.

But, back on topic; I don't think Buddle is available.

18. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed move it back on topic.

With the new Dev deal, should be easy to get some young, but experienced players in which might help solve the question of who to partner with ej up top.

Then again you could always try and get a player loaned out for say 1 yr with an option of 3(in case he is a bust or worth keeping).

Someone mentioned Magee and to be honest, he might be worth trying to get, but depends on the price.

19. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime

I guess I stand severely corrected.

Wanchope it is.

But Guerrero comes first.

-bs

20. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

-bs (ssw)

21. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    So I finally watched a game of league leading Newell's Old Boys and much to my surprise the guy runing the show was a guy that would look great feeding EJ next season: Ariel Ortega. No wonder Newell's is about to win it all.

3rd, El burrito is younger than Kreis. He was born in 74. Cash starved clubs in Argentina are always looking to deal.

His curriculum is here http://www2.afa.uolsinectis.com.ar/...Jugadores/Jugadores.htm?Op=101&Cod_Jugador=21

22. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Absolutely perfect suggestion. Name, game, and style at a position we desperately need. This guy probably still has plenty of gas left in the tank. Is he affordable? You'd think that a guy of his pedigree would be pretty pricey, but as you point out, the Argentinian economy is a wreck.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he really does have gas left in the tank he would be a great fit. Would you play him as a withdrawn forward or a mid? With CC's preference for a center mid who plays a lot of defense I think he would have to play forward. Of course CC could show the same versatility he showed at the end of 2003 with his 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid by going with a diamond midfield or a 3-5-2.

24. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Wow, times in Argentina are tough for its soccer clubs. Boca's young phenom, Carlos Tevez was just sold to Brazil's Corinthians. Maybe you could get Ortega or others at fire sale prices.

Tevez is another "out of our league" type of player, but if MLS is to ever take a next step, he too would be a franchise building block.

25. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I would play him at the top of a diamond midfield in a 4-4-2. If Pareja's bones were still in one piece, I would start El Burrito at the supporting forward role in that same line up and then slide him back to the central mid role when Pareja comes off.