EJ running mate candidates

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Chamo, you, (we), are wasting your time. HSG and their minions do not want want non-Euro in their line-up. To suggest a slow and lumpy Casey indicates that most of these people would drink urine if you told them that it was a fasionable drink in Europe. You will need to be a little more clever to force them to face the facts. Instead, suggest a Latino who currently plays in Europe. Now, that is a real conundrum for these Euro-wannabe's. You see Casey, although being labeled a bad egg by Bruce is employed in Euro. In their eyes he still must be great. So, we will find out their true colors by the following name: Paulo Cesar Wanchope

He is black, he plays in Euro, but he is an HISPANIC. Style, flair, and speaks Espanol. If the Euro league has endorsed him, yet he is Hispanic something doesn't compute for these guys. I'm sure we will get comments about diving or some other such stupid and superflous excuse. I will wait, but I think this will be too confusing for them to form nor post an opinion.

(Of course he is out of HSG's budget). Interesting to see if these jokers have the guts to show their true colors.

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I guess all the talk at the Town Hall Meeting of placing a premium on hispanic players was just lip service. I don't know, Theo, I don't think they would have been so clear on this subject if they had no real intentions of seriously looking at players from Central and South America. The team did go out and sign Milton Reyes under the Clarke/Elliot regime...and they did draft Ramon Nunez. Yes, I agree, Colin's coaching style does tend towards the European style, but to say they are downright anti-Hispanic is going to far, in my book.

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some rumors have him going back to Europe.

4. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock

Were you the person who wrote about possibly looking into getting Medina out of Panama? I know this is a little off subject, but I think he would be a great signing for an outside mid spot

5. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I am not saying that they should just go out and sign anyone who comes from a southern latitude. However, some of the most affordable and market savvy signings would come from those parts of the world. I think that your book lacks the concrete evidence to make a judgement and so you admirably reserve judement. I however take the low road and take the liberty to project. Let me let you look at my thought process....
    Nunez was left to rot on the bench. If he truly was a little prima donna that needed potty training then fine. However, it was not on the basis of talent, (especially considering our midfield) that he sat. You saw the shot he took in the 5 minute game vs. Tornados. That kid is something special.

...How long did it take for Milton to get a shot on the field? It was only as a desperate after thought. Your examples leave me even more jaded.

It is put up or shut up time for HSG. GE has spoken, but we are still waiting. CC spoke and went last year but it had the same old ending to the same old story of HSG....nada.

What about Paulo Wanchope? Would he fit in here? What if Graziani came in his prime here? I greatly question whether or not he would start. Man, I hope you are correct and I am proven to be wrong, but I don't think so.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I was. I like him from the games I saw agains the US.
    I asked about him but couldn't get an answer on CONCACAF targets.

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my prespective he hasn't played much yet due to lack of tactical understanding on the defensive/team shape side of things. Not lack of talent. You may not care about team tactics but Clarke seems to.

But in a general sense yes he should have played more.

He is something special and he will be a real stud eventually. But games against Tornado are not good games to judge. that is why reserve games are so critical to MLS... and FCD.

Oh come on Milton was cap in training for the first two months. When he started showing in training he played. End of story.

Just becasue they didn't talk about it didn't mean they didn't go after anyone. They did try and sign Gustavo Figuroa, MLS wouldn't pay the big transfer fee his team asked for.

Of the 7 players on the short list right now, Three are from South America, one is from Jamaica, one is from Africa, and two are English.

Graziani here now would start just like he did then and when in SJ. He gets traded away for his atitude not his talent.

8. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Still avoiding the Wanchope question.

9. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I just don't care much for Clarke's defensive tactics. His north to south game plan seems palatable. It is however the east to west limitations and the non-existant transitional coverage rotations, (esp. to cover penetrations by the outside backs), that leave me pulling out my hair.

10. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Scratch Larsson off the list. Larsson on a one year deal to put butts in the seats would have been great.

Theo, Wanchope would be great, but I have no idea what his club situation is. Do you?

Pedro, Marioni is trying to cash in on his goal scoring title in Mexico last season in Spain, so I doubt he is within HSG's price range.

3rd, you say you see in Casey "a 23 (ish) year old player that with more refinement and work can really be a stud". I say that most 23 yr olds have grown all that they are going to grow especially when their form is as poor as Casey's is.

11. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chamo,
    I thought that Wanchope was retired from soccer and was coaching a club in Costa Rica (his former club) and was angling for a job in Mexico and eventually the Costa Rican Nats. ...

12. Wheezer10

Wheezer10 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Kennedale, TX
    True Colors because of my opinion on Wanchope? Wanchope hasn't played this year for Man City. I don't want him. If he was healthy great. A 6'4" big guy and can draw defenders.
    I am not a Euro snob more probably a US Snob. I was just thinking of realistic ideas of players I know about. I may not now all about the South American teams and players. I am sure you will find something in this post to argue about and say I drink urine or something silly and degrading for no reason.

I would like to see the Panamian Medina on the left here in Dallas, he doesn't play in Euro. I would have liked to seen Nunez more, he didn't play in Euro. I like Milton Reyes he didn't play in Euro.

To sum it up.
    1) I said this before that it was a stereotype and I am sorry. Small hispanic forwards make me thing of El Pescadito and Sergio Galven Rey. I don't think that is a good partner with EJ.
    2) I think a big guy who aggravates and draws defenders would work well with EJ. (This is just watching the US matches). If you watched the US v Mexico match here in Dallas. Casey drove the mexican defense fits all night long. He fought for the ball in the box. True he didn't score, but I still liked his fight.
    3) I do want a hispanic midfielder that can spread the ball around with a little style and find the runs that EJ makes.

13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's playing in Malaga.

14. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Man I used to love watching Wanchope. He looked like he was all over the place then just as you thought he had totally lost control over his appendages he would somehow pull off something great. Inspiring to watch if you are also a 6'+ skinny guy. Had no idea he had hispanic heritage. No idea what he is doing now. Also no idea if he was consistent since I only saw him in the odd game.

15. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    You can check him out all through out the Hex in the upcomming months. With a couple of years on him now, he might have come down in price from the days that he was being named EPL player of the week on a sporadic basis for Man. City and Derby County.

The guy that Balonpie was thinking about is the long since retired Hernan Medford.

16. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Si Si. The current coach for Saprisa. Hell Latinos w/ Anglo names all sound alike :D I say that w/ the firmest of tongue in cheek.

17. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ain't this the truth.

18. Fougs

Fougs Member

May 26, 2004
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with 3rd and Wheezer on this one. Casey has the tools to play the target role. See the US vs. Poland (in Poland) from the beginning of this year. Beasley's goal was assited by Wolff, but the goal kick was settled by Casey, back to the goal and tightly marked. Casey bumped off the defender and chest-trapped the goal kick, exhibiting good touch and creating space. He then had the vision to see Wolff's run. Wolff frew the defender and fed to Beasley, the Beaz finished with a cool keeper nutmeg.

A target who can receive with his back to the goal, create space, and RECOGNIZE the positioning of his strike partner (i.e. EJ) is the right answer. Let Casey draw defenders when he receives the ball. He will free up EJ running behind the defense and serve him through-balls. I would love to see it.

That said, he's getting more starts for Mainz lately, so I doubt he's coming home. I would kill for Cletus. I acknowledge all his downsides, but I can't help loving the guy. When he is on, he is REALLY on.

I think th epoint is we all agree that the FO needs to take a chance at this position- do something BIG- something a little crazy. Spend some money. Create some controversy. Bring in somebody secial.

19. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    I think too many are using Casey's Nat performances as a judgement on Casey's abilities. Would you take Ralston, Lassiter or KREIS at age 23 despite their lack of Nats performances?

20. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I think that when speaking of an allocation quality forward, many on this thread are saying that Connor Casey lacks the excitement factor to his game. If he were available to pick up for free, maybe he would be worth a look. Expecting him to be the hombre? No, not by a long shot. He simply lacks the mobility.

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I don't think Casey is anything like Ralston, Lassiter or especially Kreis. Completely different types of players in my mind. I just don't see the growth potential with Casey. He is 23 and he's playing in the Bundesligia and he still lacks touch and passing skills. He ain't gonna learn them at this point. Perhaps he learns some more about ball movement....maybe his passing will improve because of increased understanding, but that's about it. Again, I don't see how he is that much of an improvement over Nhleko...and everyone wants to run big Toni out of town.

22. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad - I agree, Casey would overmatch most of the defenders in this league outside Pope. And if Pope is occupied by Conor, Eddie would be tearing someone a new 'hole.

As for Conor not coming over, let's see if maybe he wants to be more available for WCQ...? It didn't work for Kirovski, but maybe that had more to do with his level of play than anything else. (I know, probably not, but anything is possible.)

Chamo - keep those ideas coming - I like the way you're thinking! Hopefully the Brain Trust are paying at least some attention... (if they aren't ahead of you - who knows?)

23. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Truthfully you guys are wishfully thinking, considering Conor Casey as a possiblity, he is in the Bundesliga, his team is doing really good, and he is apart of the reason scoring goals here and there.
    I.E. He won't be coming to MLS anytime soon.

Real canidates; Wolyneic, Mike Magee, possibly Dipsy Selolwane, and Simutenkov.

Although Clarke has been rumored to acquring Ecuadoran striker Gustavo Figueroa.

24. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't avoiging, just don't feel I know enough about him.

5 years ago in a hear beat.
    Now? how old? where is he? is he out of contract?

It's been a long time since I have seen him play.
    But what I remember 5 years ago is a big target guy that Eddie would also look good next to.

25. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand that. But that is a different question.

but I think part of that is avaliable talent.... which may being us right back to this thread.