EJ & Adu: Skoda Xanthi vs Aris Salonica 31/1/2010

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Bellof-3, Jan 27, 2010.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed it. Please PM me.

1 person likes this.
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I've watched the highlights 2-3 times and can say with confidence, no way that pass was an accident. There was no lane to pass the ball low to Johnson, matter of fact there were 3-4 defenders between the two of them.

4. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Well, lucky enough my satellite receives about 3000 channels, most of the time at least one of them will show the match I'm looking for.

:)

5. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out Adu's pass to Lewis vs Barbados back in 2008, almost replay.

6. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

BTW I meant "no way" not 'now way" ...lol

7. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I would just add another caution... coming in at 2-0 down, where the other team is defending a lead and your team is attacking all-out, is going to show off Adu's talents... and tend to minimize any tactical/defensive shortcoming... this should be fun to watch developments at Aris the treat of this season ...

8. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Your english is fine. How does the Greek league work?

10. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    [​IMG]

6 people repped this.
  11. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    16 teams. The champion goes to Champions league. Positions 2-5 make playoffs, as a mini championship. So the first team goes to Champions league as well, the other 2 go to Europa league.
    Greek cup gives Europa league to the holder as well.

So for example at this moment
    1 ΠΑΝΑΘΗΝΑΙΚΟΣ 20 49
    2 ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ 20 43
    3 ΠΑΟΚ 20 43
    4 ΑΡΗΣ 20 32
    5 ΑΕΚ 20 30
    Panathinaikos go to champions league
    Olympiakos paok ARIS aek play for playoffs for 1 spot to Champions league and 2 spots for Europa league.
    I hope i helped :)

12. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Repped.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    so at this point. aris has a 25% chance of reaching the chapions league, and 67% of getting to europa?

whomever looses in the playoff but feel really SH*T.

and how exactly the does the 4 team playoff works? is like like a group stage where each team play 6 games?

14. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Something like that. I forgot to mention that at playoff teams start with standings equal to season standings. 5 points mean 1 point at playoff. So
    It would be
    Olympiakos 3
    paok 3
    Aris 1
    Aek 0
    Cuper knows and prepares the team for playoffs
    We need a perfect and ready Adu and EJ for April :)
    You may see paok at high standing but paok always looses the playoff matches for some reason and i think santos is to blame for that.

15. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Also the cup winner gets a europa league spot. If the winner has already won this spot through the league then the other finalist get the spot. If both teams have won a european spot through the league, then... i don't know what happens...

16. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Not exactly...

In the play-offs the teams start with points depending on their final league points. The base is the points of the last team of the play-offs. This difference is then devided by 5 and you have your points.

Also the team that conquers the cup automatically takes a Europa league place, unless it has already taken a CL place so the other team of the final takes that place.

hope I helped.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

haha. Repped.

18. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not now, Johan. They're on a roll.

By the way, I agree with those that think that it was a great pass.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It was a sweet pass...........but also a perfectly timed run by Eddie. And a nice finish. Good idea to go thru the keeper's legs there, and then quick instincts to pounce on the rebound.

20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Man I totally forgot about this one! Great for EJ to score and Adu with the assist! What a perfect day of these guys. Greece seems to be the best place for them.

21. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just gotta say,I'm not surprised with Freddy's pass-

but if EJ meant to do that,he moved back into the WC picture for the us.

22. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The fact of the matter is that this was a sensational goal. An incredible pass which Johnson brilliantly puts between the legs of the keeper on his first touch to put in the net. If the players reputations were better, this would be getting far more attention.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I have my doubts. I mean it's good enough as is: his speed separates him from the defender, he manages to get a touch on a ball coming over his shoulder and that throws off the keeper, and then his speed gets him to the ball again, and he finishes well. That's all damned good. If he actually intended to 'meg the keeper with that first touch, then we're moving into whole new categories of profane adjectives.

24. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with people going nuts over the Freddy pass, what was better to watch for me was Eddie's finish. He was probably never out of the World Cup picture given the US' options. I think a confident Eddie Johnson showing instincts around the goal was always one of the US' top strikers (assuming Donovan and Dempsey are midfielders).

It will be interesting what Hector Cuper can do with these two over the next months.

25. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the Youtube replay a bunch of times (did you know you can put it in HD? I just discovered this. I'm not internet savvy.), I'm 50/50 on whether he meant to do it or not. In a sense, it doesn't matter because his timing and use of his speed put him in a position to make the most of a chance. Without that good work he doesn't even make the first touch, intended nutmeg or not.