EJ & Adu: Olympiakos - Aris (Superleague) 4/18 19:00 Greek/12:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Apr 15, 2010.

1. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref stops it this time at exactly 3 minutes. LOL

2. FIREbradley

FIREbradley New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    Looks like the "genius" move of taking out an offensive minded midfielder for a defender while being down 2-1 did not pay off.

3. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    2-1 FT:mad:
    Bad news is that Arano(red card) is out for the Final in 6 days.

So play offs starting in 10 days and the table is:

Olympiakos 4
    Paok 3
    Aek 1
    Aris 0

6 games for each team. First spot gives a ticket for CL.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cards carry over from league to cup?

5. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Just Red Cards....

6. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPnm4mFcg3g"]YouTube- ?????????? - ???? ??????? ??????[/ame]
    :mad:

7. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Calvo got injured, our left back was sent off and there was a big hole on the left side of our defence. Bringing in Adu to defend the left side on his own wouldn't be such a "genius" move, would it? And Neto is more like a Daniel Alves type wing back, he's better in attacking than defending.

You'll need to explain them what this vid shows. I'm sure they didn't notice that it was the throw in that was given to Olympiakos instead of Aris that led to the penalty (it was a penalty though).

8. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok now explain the Aravidis sub? Who is this guy and how is he better than Adu at attacking?

9. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Guys chill, obviously he's not any better than Adu, but he did great in the last training, scored a hat trick, and got rewarded with playing time. So would it be fair to sit him on the bench? Don't think so. Perhaps Adu should start over Meriem but that's football.

11. FIREbradley

FIREbradley New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    After Neto came in, Olympiakos had a bunch of great opportunities to score that they didn't have throughout the whole game. My belief is that when you're down 2-1 and your offensive minded midfielder gets injured, there's no way you bring in a defender, even if he's a Danny Alves type of wing back (notice the huge holes given to Olympiakos?). It was the perfect opportunity for Adu to come in. It's better to go all-in with a short stack than just to fold and have the blinds eat you up.

12. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Daly scores 5 goals in training he gets in the game?

How about when Adu scored and he got no minutes?

Its BS if you ask me, Adu needs minutes and time to get his game going in a positive direction. Who cares how many you score in training, it's not the same as scoring in a game. Just sounds like another excuse to me.

This Aravidis guy was completely ineffective and invisible on the field, Adu sits for this, because he scores 3 goals in training? Losing faith in this coach very fast.

I think it's more important to see how Adu plays against quality opposition ( to see if he can be effective in the playoffs) than "rewarding" some random bench player for scoring goals in practice.

Whatever, I just wish Adu could find a place where he plays every week so it's really not Aris's fault I just want Adu to play, even if its a reserve league or whatever. He can't afford to rot on the bench for half a year again.

He can't develop his game if he doesn't play so it's very disappointing for his fans when he rides pine again.:(

13. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Hm... It seems that FIREbradley is everyday in trainings of Aris and he knows the situation of each player so ADU should play and Aravidis not.....:rolleyes:

*Neto is right back but he can play as right wing in every team of super league(greek A) imo. This summer some teams from Premier League tried to ''take'' him from Aris.

14. FIREbradley

FIREbradley New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    I didn't have a problem with Aravidis sub (I didn't post anything about it), and I think Neto has been the best player for Aris from the games that I've watched, but the Neto sub under the circumstances didn't make much sense to me.

15. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I wish Adu had played but I'm not angry, just disappointed. He seems to remained relatively healthy and out of card risk. I'd wager he is going to play in the remaining games more than some might imagine.

16. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Aravidis was a good decision correct? I mean he was effective?

Calvo was terrible today before he was injured. Lazy and taking weak and ineffective shots, poor dribbling, poor off the ball movement. Lets see accountability across the boards.

Meriem like I predicted before the game is not an AM.(or an enganche) I watched him plenty at Monaco, he's a tricky player and outstanding stamina and decent technique but not very creative. He's perfect for a winger and a better winger than Adu by a long shot but as an AM? If you try Adu in that position I think you would see Adu's quality.

Just saying that Cuper's decisions are very interesting/perplexing and I think tips his hand as to who is going to play in the upcoming games. I'm not attacking you, just giving my opinion and very frustrated with the situation.

17. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Blustar i understand that you are not attacking me.
    I agree with you that Adu maybe he can show his quality if he plays as AM but you have to understand that Cooper likes 4-4-2(first time that he played 4-2-3-1.)
    About Aravidi i have to tell just 1 thing. You saw last games of Adu? I am sure that you did. Just this i have to say.
    It was the perfect game to take Aravidis some chance. Adu had some chances and he was bad.
    About Calvo no comments. Even in his bad game he played better than Adu played in last games.

18. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Here we go again...

Cuper does what he does for a reason. He might have thought that he could need Neto to play as a midfielder in some situation either on the final, or on the play-offs.

You never know what a coach has in mind. And it might come in handy in the following matches.

As for Aravidis, he is a good player and a hard working guy. Why shouldn't he get a chance since he performs great in training? I can't get it...

Adu will be more involved with the team next year as I see... Cuper sees what he does in training.

For us the team comes first. And Cuper has our complete support for doing whatever he thinks as appropriate.

That's all for now...

19. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    After Calvo's injury, yes Adu's sub would probably make things a little better offensively, but far far worse in defense. You saw it yourself, after that red card we had trouble defending, and they had like two 1on1. Imagine if there were 3 defenders. What's the point in scoring a goal and then concede more(and conceding was more possible than scoring).

20. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm saying if you want Adu to improve and play better then he needs to play. Adu hasn't played much in the last 2 years and needs time to improve.

Adu still has potential and he's not going to get better just training. I don't think Aravidis has more potential than Adu and he proved nothing today and he certainly wasn't better.

Calvo was terrible today and no he wasn't better than Adu today, Olympiakos toyed with him today like a little baby and he was sullen for 20 minutes before he was "injured". When Calvo plays bad he plays real bad, I don't why that is but maybe it's fatigue and emotion.

I think you mean that normally a poor Calvo is better than Adu but Calvo was worse than poor today.

Adu in the last 2 games he played was average, not terrible like CAlvo was today.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    in some important ways the pressure is off. Freddy is not going to the WC and it is 2 years before the next WC qualifiers.

22. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    This sentiment does not exist in American sports.

You all see second guessing the coach, criticizing and our general commentary as an affront to the team/club/coach, it's not really intended that way.

We see it as being fans....

I read this and immediately understood why there might be friction here from time to time.

Heck, a US football coach with multiple world championships rested his starters in the 16th game after winning 15 straight, with home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

They didn't win the championship (when someone caught the ball of his life on top of his head) and people called him an idiot for resting his players in the meaningless 16th game.

It's just the nature of sports in the US.

By the way it's not just Adu threads, go read the Jozy- Hull- Gameday thread, many of the same observations were made. (Yes Jozy came in as a late sub but many were frustrated he didn't start)

23. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I can understand that.. This happens here too in most of the teams.

But when you have to do with Cuper (I think he is currently #16 in world ranking as a coach), questioning his choices in a completely negative way is somewhat stupid.

The main reasons are:

1. He is one of the most successful coaches in the world.
    2. He knows more of what happens in training
    3. He has a gameplan and experience

etc...

simple as that...

24. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Would not matter here, Phil Jackson 10 world championships, faces the same thing daily.

Our coaching pedestals are more like phone books. They will *always* be questioned.

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong teams. The Giants beat the Patriots on the incredible catch on the head play, and the Patriots DIDN'T rest their starters and in fact were undefeated until the championship game. It was the Colts who rested their starters late in the season, and lost their final 2 regular season games after being undefeated for 14 straight, then lost in the Super Bowl. And the coach took a fair amount of heat in that week 15 for resting them at the time he did so, but very few people cared by the time the Super Bowl rolled around.