EJ & Adu: Aris vs Levadiakos (Superleague) 3/28 19:00 Greek/12:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man that looks good, I'll see if I can hunt that down here in the states!!! Will my eyebrows fall off? Or more hair for my chest?:D

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Goood old greek moonshine!

3. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have any really sweaty socks laying around? If so, just get them wet, wring them out into a glass, and add some vodka. Presto! You have tsipouro.

4. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, Thessaloniki is Greek for "Kentucky"?

6. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    hahahahahahaha....

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What were the game grades?

I'd be interested to know, since I watched pretty much the entire game.

8. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Red Card

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    What many seem to forget is that Adu isn't a winger. He's a central player through and through. I guess having a central player playing wing is akin to having a tight end play wide reciever. I guess the analogies could go on forever, but Adu is just learning this position (and having been forced to the wing after playing central I understand). You really have to look at Adu as a rookie--the way you should look at any player after a position switch. Right now, he's trying hard not to make defensive mistakes, and also not to lose the ball on a dribble. He's playing a little scared so to speak-- where right now he's doing good things apart from what he does best. His real value is beating people on the dribble or that electric through ball--the thing is, right now u aren't seeing that electric because he's concentrating so hard on the basics. I predict magic in the next several weeks and months once he can deal with the basics, while taking his successful "risks"

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^This is VERY true, and a point many miss.

He really is a 'enganche' 10' that plays centrally behind 2 forwards FIRST. That is his position, or as a supporting striker, that can roam.

Under cuper he is starting fresh in a system that is asking alot of him, which is causing him to change his game. Its a good thing though, but that needs to be taken into consideration, and given this he has been playing pretty well given the fact.

Adu is putty in Cupers hands, and yes, there is a reason why he has looked average as of late, he is getting back into the rhythem of the team, and gaining confidence again. It will take time, as it did with Toni Calvo.

I dont know if he'll be as much of an explosive player as Calvo, but he can be more consistent, and put in his work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Calvo

Read about his time when he first came to Aris, it sounds ALOT like freddys so far.

10. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Adu is not playing his favored position so he will need an adjustment period.

An Aris supporter mentioned how Johnson and Campora are too similar, that is why Adu should be Koke's replacement if Koke is injured, suspended or needs rest. Like Adu mentioned when he first got to Aris, that is the position he likes to play.

However Cuper wants Adu to be a left winger so everyone has to be patient with Adu's progress.

11. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    .;).

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Adu has mostly played out wide in his career - wingback with DCU, wide midfielder with Monaco, left with Belensenses.

Besides, in Cuper's textbook 4-4-2, wings pinch in a lot and fullbacks overlap.

That's not that different from the classical trequartista.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was NEVER a wingback with DC. He was outwide, but didnt fit well into Nowaks system as Josh Gros was more inclined for success in that system, given his work rate, and ability to run up and down the flank like a mad man with 3 lungs! Freddy didnt fit well under Nowak as a winger.

He interestingly enough has a similar player that is used to playing more centrally playing on the wing too, in Roger Torres of Colombia at Philly Union right now.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gros was the right wingback, Adu was the left.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Are you serious? They both were outside flank midfielders (well thats where Nowak played Adu)! Is that what you mean with outside back? They were never played as defenders, Gros I think MAYBE.... but Adu NEVER!

16. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Wait, are the Aris fans saying Calvo has a more impressive youth resume.

Lol

17. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I'm afraid you don't want to understand a word we are saying...

potential/talent
    youth resume
    becoming a complete and useful player

these are three completely different things...

Adu wouldn't play for Spain National team in the age of 14. Different conditions...

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Guys, Are we still debating who is better? who will be better?

Honestly I could care less if Calvo is better, way better, 10x better,etc. as long as Adu gets his shit together so when WC 2014 and 2018 comes around he can have a mirror image of his flashes displayed from 2007-2008..but this team those flashes turn into 90-minute performences.

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside mids in 3-5-2 are often known as wingbacks due to attack and defend responsibilities. But, that wasn't necessarily how Freddy played the position.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dont know, maybe its my understanding of that formation, that its all about clogging the midfield, I never knew they were called 'wing backs' I always thought 'back' was a term for the defensive line? I perfer outside defender lol, the 'back' term always confuses me.

But yea, Adu never did play that position like Gros, which he ran from box to box on the flanks, you cant learn heart like he had.

Also isnt it a 5-3-2 you are thinking of? I would think of a player likr Roberto Carlos or Dani Alves there, that is used there instead of a player like Adu.

The modern day 4-3-3 is my favorite formation right now, especially with how Bielsa uses it for the Chilean NT, sometimes only 2 defenders are left behind from the way that they attack balls to the wall!

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 3-5-2 becomes a 5-3-2 on defense with wing backs. I suppose the term recognizes that they are part winger and part fullback. Josh Gros played as a typical wingback (very demanding role) while Adu as a 15 and 16 yr old did not have to cover the same amount of ground defensively in Nowak's system.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I dont remember that lasting long? Didnt we end up switching to a 4-4-2 in time?

23. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namoff was never much of an offensive threat at RB, and covered for Freddy a lot in those days. And Olson/Simms/whoever in the hole would allow for Fred to cut inside and wreak havoc with Gomez and Moreno. But Gros was left alone a lot more on the left side, by design. It was quite effective, especially Freddy's last season there.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This was Nowak's 3-5-2/5-3-2

----defender-----defender------defender----

wingback----------defensive mid-------wingback

-----------attacking mid-----attacking mid------

----------forward----------forward-------------

wingback position wasn't necessarily symmetrical, as Gros really worked up and down the flank while Freddy preferred to work more up than down.

Sometimes they flipped, sometimes another d-mid was added to give wingbacks more attacking duties, et cetera.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Funny thing is, he actually really contributed alot more to the offense then ever last season, before his injury, and even scoring those 2 goals off those nice headers! Not to mention his nice crosses, and run up play on the wings!