EJ & Adu: Aris Salonica vs Panathinaikos 24/1/2010

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by aris-salonica, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ever hear of Lucio Filomeno? Guy was outclassed in MLS but headed to Greece and seemed to do pretty well for himself.

2. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I agree. I was talking about the honeymoon between the Aris posters and BigSoccer. You should have seen how quickly we drove off the Hull supporters.

If you reads these threads, especially when Adu doesn't play, you will read negative opinions about Aris, valid or not.

But it seems like your fellow supporters aren't so sensitive, so I think we'll be alright...

3. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    No minutes for Adu? Coach says, he just needs some more time in training?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0wN46d3Co&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0wN46d3Co&feature=related[/ame]

4. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    1)Actually i read all posts of this theard about Aris, MLS etc and one thing i have to say. WTF?:confused::D

2)Personally so far i am ok. I try to justify them(we are greeks, they are americans so its logical this ''gap'').

Hope you understand what i mean.

5. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    EJ's Aris career isn't really a pure test. If he does really well, then he'll probably go South Africa ahead of Casey, Cunningham, and Findley, which is evidence that he's better than the best MLS strikers and if he does badly, some of them will go instead of him which will show that he's worse. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone agreed about the central point, that the best MLS teams would finish middle-of-the-pack in Greece.

(edit: But, really, aren't EJ, Casey, Cunningham, and Findley all roughly at the same level?)

6. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    LOL. I agree.

Absolutely. Besides that, you guys are fans of Aris and we are (most of us at least;)) fans of Adu and EJ. So there is a "gap" there as well.

Look, you guys are awesome posters, and I think your team rocks and is a fantastic place for our guys to be. I hope it works out for everybody. In the mean time, my only advice is to not let the dissenters get to you.

Vamos Aris!

1 person likes this.
  7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would. That sort of agreement usually means that the people involved have both 1) watched both leagues fairly carefully for a while and 2) are dispassionate enough about that viewing to draw careful conclusions. Very few of us meet one of those criteria, much less both.

Which is why I tend to be increasingly leery of entering these League A vs. League B conversations. They tend to devolve into pissing matches and arguments about whose dad could beat up whose.

1 person likes this.
  8. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    1);)
    2)Vamos Campeon

9. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    He was good at a middle table team called Asteras, but now at Paok hes horrible.
    On the other hand if we try to compare 2 championships we have to see who are playing in them, the coaches and the national teams.
    So for Greece we got some good players as Cisse, Gilberto Silva, Leto, Galleti, Koke, Toni Calvo, Melberg, Diogo, Lua Lua. And coaches as Cuper, Santos, Ziko, Ten Kate. Our national team won Euro 2004 and its in South Africa 2010. Olympiakos is at 16 best teams of Champions league, and Panathinaikos at 16 best of Europa League.
    What about MLS? Since i got really few details.

10. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS teams lose to teams from Trinidad and Tobago, barely get by teams from El Salvador and get destroyed by the second stringers of Mexico and yet many US fans think the MLS is just a notch below the Premier League

11. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    ok jas i got the point :)

12. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This
    is an overstatement and is unnecessarily provocative. Most of the MLS fans I know, and I consider myself one of them, have hopes for the future of the league while maintaining a realistic sense of where it stands currently.

14. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ARIS Salonica vs Panathinaikos: 1/24/2010 16:45 greek time

15. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009

1 person likes this.
  16. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

17. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a red herring (so, good color coordination) when it comes to evaluating the level of quality in league play.

Anybody at all realistic about MLS knows that the lack of money means a lack of squad depth. So even well coached teams with solid players on them only go 18 deep at best. If an MLS team is playing only league games, it can play pretty good soccer every time it steps on a field (allowing for inevitable stinkers that all teams have, no matter how good they are). But once an MLS team gets into league games and US Open Cup and/or Concachampions, either league play or the other stuff will suffer. Usually, MLS teams make the pragmatic decision--the same one made worldwide--and prioritize league play. In fact, they do it even more often since in MLS there's no equivalent of the mid-table team that doesn't really fear relegation and doesn't really have a shot at winning the league (or playing in Europe) and decides, "Hell, we might as well win the domestic cup. Silverware makes fans happy." An MLS team can make the playoffs from the middle of the pack.

Even, say, Premiership teams with much deeper pockets and benches will occasionally stink it up against inspired League 1 teams in the FA Cup because the second-stringers aren't ready or the first-team guys aren't going full-out. It doesn't mean that League 1 is better than the Prem; it means that even Premiership teams have stronger starters than squad players. In MLS, the drop-off from starters to bench to squad is more significant. That itself does indicate that MLS is hardly a top-tier league, but we already knew that.

All of which, of course, is part of a threadjack, albeit of an expiring thread. So I'm going to stop contributing and take my answers off the air.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Is the game up yet on Arismania?

19. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    These threads are supposed to be about Yanks Abroad. What does MLS have to do with any of this?

EJ and Adu haven't played there for years, this is the Yanks Abroad Gameday thread, so can't we keep the MLS discussions to the MLS boards?

20. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

Marx is always right. He's Bradley's partner.

21. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    :eek:

You know that you have the name of Aris' son?

Deimos (=Δείμος), which means terror.

I am shocked...

22. ramonesmania

ramonesmania New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
  23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I second that emotion.

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    if only this were true.

25. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe "many" was not the right word, but it annoys me that there is always a few MLS fans that always claim the MLS is equal and better than very other European League outside of the big five.

They watch a Portuguese game, "MLS is better"

They watch a Scandinavian league game, "MLS is Better"

They watch a Greek game, "MLS is better"

It's not and it shouldn't be with it's financial limitations.

Last night it was MLS All Stars vs. Honduran League All Stars and you saw what happened.