EJ & Adu: AEK vs Aris (Superleague) 2/21 16:45 Greek/ 9:45 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 19, 2010.

1. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    :eek:

Here's the video, "enjoy"...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5tqEBUCnzc"]YouTube- Damarcus Beasley getting injured[/ame]

But now back to Aris!

2. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Can you say "rose colored glasses"?

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Maybe he was hoping for a zero zero at that point. Anyway, the sub didn't work out.

I was surprised at the Bald Villain (seeing the DMB stuff) just shoving EJ down from behind with two hands when there was no jostling going on, way out at the sideline. Then he went and complained hard to the ref after the foul call. Then he took EJ down immediately again when EJ had his back to goal at the halfway line. EJ was on the ground saying WTF?

They should look to get him tossed out in the rematch. Run at him.

4. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Did you watch even a minute of the game?

I didn't think so...

Anyway, I don't think it's an indictment of the manager, he seems perfectly willing to give Adu chances. Though I do believe for whatever reason there was a strong desire to get Meriem in the game. That said, Adu wasn't the issue in the first half it was poor finishing by others and a non existent center. I don't think Adu helped his cause with his poor set piece service but his coming off at 45 was not warranted any more than any other player and I was fairly critical of his play today. As it turned out the result demonstrated that fact as the team looked worse after the substitution.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Adu's tiredness had something to do with it. He has played a lot recently, possibly more than he has in the past two years.

6. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Its too early to speak about Adu but one thing that i dont like so far is that when he has the ball he doesnt know what to do....:confused:

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow... thanks for the memories :eek:

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Is learning too much defense stunting his offensive abilities?:(

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    that's easy. get Cuper to tell him "RUN".....Run kiddie, Run....:D

10. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Bad performance from Aris at 2nd half, the team looked really tired after the cup games.
    We should score the 2 big chances at start. It was a derby, we have to score these.
    Many people ask why Aris was playing by Calvo's side at first half. I dont blame you cause you dont know Greek. It was Cuper's orders to play from right cause their back Georgeas had really poor performance in defense.
    After Georgeas got subbed, then Aris tried attacks from Meriem's side more.
    Adu didnt go well i hope for better luck next game.
    EJ was good, i like him a lot.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrEQgcWaPQ"]YouTube- aek aris 1-0 (21-2-10)[/ame]

11. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu knows what to do with the ball he's just a little rusty and over-thinking things. You can see Adu trying to make the best pass but he's thinking too much and just needs to let it come naturally.

Probably, the coach has given him orders to play a certain way and maybe it's not his "natural" style so I think that 's where the hesitation is coming in. he'll get better as he adjusts to the Cupers style.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Because he's tactically undeveloped. That's an unfortunate consequence of throwing a 14 year into a professional setting.

13. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean a tactically-underdeveloped professional setting :) DCU/MLS/Novak didn't really know what to do with the kid.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Whatever you want to call it - though I don't blame Novak/DCU - I do blame MLS however.

The fact of the matter is that when you toss a 14 year into a place where winning is the most important thing and not developing as a player, that's bad for the development of said player - and that's true of any sport. Not even Sid the Kid went to the NHL until he was 17 or 18, and he and LBJ were probably the most gifted prospects I've seen since I started following sports seriously some 20 years ago.

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but when you have knowledgeable posters like Vamos Aris noticing he has a problem tactically when he's on the ball, it's probably something to bring up.

15. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I think this observation paints in too of broad strokes based on what happened in this game. In the same post he also said the team was under managers orders to play down the right side (due to the perceived weakness of the defender on that side) and they did to a fault. I described it as tentative during the game but I see it was something different, following orders to a fault. It's true Adu didn't do anything with the ball on the left side but it's also true, no one was making overlapping runs or any offensive movement to create passing lanes down the left either. Every time he started down the left, he stopped, played back into the middle and the play switched to the right and he stayed parked in a semi-defensive position. It appears they were given more latitude in the second half but the tactical choice to play almost exclusively down the right in the first half was obvious and noted by many posters. More than Adu's positioning in the first half I was disappointed in his actual ball striking both in the run of play and of set pieces, both were bad. I'm not sure it's fair to take the tactical choices made by the manager during the game then make them into some broad commentary on a players development. If you watched the game the choice to play that way was painfully obvious.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    That's fair enough.

17. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    That said, he still didn't play very well with the few chances he did have. And I actually agree on the larger issue, the whole 14 year old in a winning vs. developmental situation, bad for all involved.

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Everyone has a bad game, today was adu's. He knew it, and showed his frustration at the end of the first half. It isnt the end of the world. He'll live to play another day, same goes with Aris. Luck wasnt on theri side today with those 2 misses they had after that EJ cross and that one from Koke.

19. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Bad games are inevitable, especially when you're young and coming off two years of the bench. I'm just glad Adu showed some promise by knocking in a couple of goals already.

20. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I need a one hour ice bath right now!"

-Freddy Adu

21. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    kind of a relief that he was just stiff and sore, rather just sucking today

22. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The problem with this is the big picture. The manager eventually comes to resent the player for the points lost when he's too tired to play well in a big game.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Pretty much any attacking player worth his salt will just take his marker off the dribble at this point, thus creating the movement.

Freddy may or may not be capable of doing that.

24. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Or willing...

I'm sure he's not taking any chances right now but time will tell. Willing or able, he needs to do better.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or willing.

No one knows what his instructions are but, if going by experience, dribbling is what a winger is supposed to do to break the stacked defense.

So, let's see what Cuper does.

Good coaches adjust to the talent of their players while continuing to improve them.