Eight matches to go

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Mar 22, 2018.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was feeling pretty uncomfortable after the Bournemouth let down. Sitting 15th with arguably less talent than he had last time, would Rafa be able to improve on his final 10 match results from 2016? We had the conflicting evidence on an inspiring win against Manchester United and a late collapse against a much less difficult Bournemouth side. Let's throw in this late 3-week layoff for good measure. Plenty of reason to expect a relegation fight down to the wire.

Mercifully, the Southampton win leaves us with a positive outlook over the long break and so much closer to safety. If we can manage home wins against Huddersfield and West Brom, that should be enough points by themselves. Any unexpected results before then will just be a bonus, and perhaps allow prospective buyers to restart negotiations with the club - and that's what it's all about, right? I can't see Rafa staying otherwise.

Another week until the Huddersfield match on Mar. 31st!

2. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're safely where Ashley wants them this time around. Not taking the drop and costing him money and not threatening Europe and costing him money.

I was poking around on FiveThirtyEight and their statistical probabilities and hit the Championship. Sort of shocked at where the Mackems are sitting. I felt sort of bad for them, which left me feeling conflicted about feeling that way.

el americano repped this.
  3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also thinking that the beating they are taking was starting to be too much, but then I thought of Cattermole, and I thought I would enjoy seeing him play in League One. :D

4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I sort of ended up in the same place. Then looked up the Thomas Tank Engines singing Dirty Mackems again.

5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I ran a predictor on the 19thof March. Figuring we would get just two more points and stay up in week 37. Three wins on the spin since and I’d love a top ten finish. But then FMA will think shoestrings are just fine, we won’t keep Dubravka or Kenedy and we will be f’d again.

Thx,

Jay!