Egypt's Muslims attend Coptic Christmas mass, serving as "human shields"

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by bigredfutbol, Jan 7, 2011.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muslims turned up in droves for the Coptic Christmas mass Thursday night, offering their bodies, and lives, as “shields” to Egypt’s threatened Christian community

Beyond just being something of a “feel-good” story, what is important about this story is the sense of solidarity these people feel because they’re all Egyptians. This underlines the fact that personal identity is, or should be, complex and nuanced. People aren’t, or shouldn’t be, exclusively “Christian” or “Muslim” or whatever. The Islamists, like all fundamentalists, want a world in which all Muslims are not only the “right” kind of Muslim, but are nothing buy Muslims, or at least are primarily Muslims. This is recipe for conflict, and worse. But it seems that many Muslims in Egypt consider themselves to be Egyptians, and they regard Coptic Christians as fellow Egyptians first, non-Muslims second. That’s a victory for secularism, pluralism, and civil society, and a defeat for fundamentalism and doctrinaire theists.

That’s the whole point of a secular society—creating a “neutral” civic zone where everybody is ideally equal before the law and relate to each other fundamentally as equal citizens. Otherwise, you get societies based on exclusive and divisive criteria such as race, ethnicity, language, or religion.

1 person likes this.
  2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Good post overall, but you're wrong here. Muslim majorities and prominent figures have been standing up against the extremists for a while now. This latest example is a really powerful one, but it's hardly the first.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I regret that part; I actually do know better. It was an unfortunate choice of words and maybe I was bending over backwards to demonstrate that I do recognize that some Muslim societies do have a problem with rampant extremism. But you're correct--that wasn't a fair statement.

EDIT: You know what? I'm just going to take it out. I'm not at all sure why I phrased it that way.

4. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    "Islamists" and violent extremists are not the same thing. I consider myself to be an Islamist. I'm pretty sure many people in that crowd also consider themselves to be "Islamists" too, including that preacher Amr Khaled who the article referred to.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiTd2yWQU84"]YouTube - Amr Khaled's Quest for Muslim-West Dialogue[/ame]

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken.

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    I don't know. I think a number of of Muslim political scientists have used the term "Islamists" as shorthand for extremists, but all the terms are a bit slippery. Heck, there are pro-Palestinian peaceniks who self-identify as "Zionists."

Eqbal Ahmed liked to use "Islamofacsist." And of course, "Islamist" might translate differently depending on language and context.

7. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont let the guardian see this.

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Islamist

I guess that it could also mean a peaceful extremist. Just like the Christians that pray for Armageddon, where people like me will burn in hell.

Islamist according to this definition could be a person that wants Islamic values, morals to be applied to all. All people? all Muslims? voluntary? by Islamic law? I guess it would depend on the person.

There is also this moderate website.

http://www.islamist-watch.org/