EFL Championship & Cup on ESPN Networks

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by QPR Kevin H, Aug 3, 2017.

1. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    I think they picked a big game for the next round....

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ha, yeah. Looks like AFC Wimbledon v West Ham and Forest-Newcastle. Maybe ESPN+ will get an additional Tuesday match.

3. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Sorry about Saturday. Oh my...

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  4. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    :sick:

5. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    CARABAO CUP
    Tues
    2:25 PM
    Swansea City vs. Crystal Palace (Round #2)
    2:40 PM
    AFC Wimbledon vs. West Ham United (Round #2)

Weds
    2:40 PM
    Nottingham Forest vs. Newcastle United (Round #2)

Redbullsnation2012 and NYC_nigel repped this.
  6. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    3 points for your lot!

7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm glad ESPN+ is broadcasting the league cup, but I 'm curious to know A) how ESPN's broadcast rights work and B) why it's not showing more matches.

I tried to watch the Wolves-Sheffield Wednesday match online via WolvesTV, which is free internationally, but it never came through (though I was able to listen to live commentary). I assume that's because ESPN has the league cup rights here.

If it was due to ESPN's rights in the U.S., I don't understand why it wouldn't broadcast the match on ESPN+. It's a fully produced broadcast that ESPN presumably has rights to here, so why not stream it? You'd think ESPN would want to broadcast all the competition's matches featuring Premier League teams. It'd be one more feather in the cap of ESPN+ and a nice little opportunity to undercut NBC Sports (or help it, depending on your perspective).

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah it's kind of an odd situation. ESPN holds the rights to the League Cup + the League, but for some reason clubs can stream League matches on their sites (if its not on intl TV) but not the League Cup. Wolves should be a bit different now they're in the Prem -- and that may be getting to the crux of the issue, maybe the streaming rights for the League Cup aren't controlled by the clubs because of Premier League involvement? Not sure. But it is a League policy, despite the division...

And ESPN can't show every League Cup match because I believe only the Sky matches and one or two others are prepared for live broadcast internationally. Like tonight's matches in Swansea (ESPN+) and Wimbledon (Sky and ESPN+). I'm sure it's all just part of the contract with the League.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The thing is I've been streaming ESPN content on 3/Watch/+ for a decade and almost all of the live sporting events that are streaming-only are not produced by ESPN in any way. Whether you tune into an international competition or a regional college sporting event, ESPN is just streaming a locally produced feed that it had nothing to do with. If I tune into a stream of Grand Canyon vs. South Dakota State basketball on ESPN+, all ESPN has done is tap into the feed from AntelopeSports TV (or whatever). I've seen some incredibly low-budget productions streaming via ESPN in my day, but I understand if the FA wants to control the matches available for international broadcast.

So can ESPN only show X number of matches per matchday/round? Is it choosing to do so because it has to pay extra for one thing or another if it wants to show four matches instead of three? Does it think the interest isn't there, so it doesn't want to oversaturate? Just thinking out loud here.

10. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Can’t wait until leagues just sell the rights direct to consumers and cut out the middleman dealers...

11. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Probably a combination of all the above. And I'm sure this is all tied in to how the EFL and IMG put together the contracts with Sky, ESPN, Quest, the clubs, the Prem, etc.

12. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    For better or worse, that's not going to happen. Broadcast rights for major sports leagues/competitions cost billions of dollars in the U.S., and even then these leagues charge individual fans hundreds of dollars for a season pass subscription.

In order for these leagues to make anywhere near the amount of money they do now solely through an a la carte subscription service, they'd have to charge a rate so high few would/could pay for it. They'd lose money, they'd lose viewers... Long story short, the current system works very well for sports leagues.

Art Deco repped this.
  13. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    MIddlemen, even. With these deals you've got the League representing the clubs, media companies like IMG representing the League and then the networks buying and presenting. It does seem convoluted in the present age. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for fully fragmented streaming - the quality of an IMG production streamed through ESPN is a lot more reliable that QPR+ or iFollow or etc.

14. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That's too bad. It likely is an FA/EFL thing considering ESPN is showing so much Nation's League and Serie A. I'll keep my fingers crossed that ESPN+ is able to show more FA Cup.

You'd think the powers that be in England might want to let those with broadcast rights show as many of their least popular competition as possible. Wild idea, I know. What if people outside of England realized the league cup...exists?!

15. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I'm guessing that the cost-benefit analysis comes into play at some point. I'm sure that if the FA thought they can make more money by producing for tv 30 league cup games instead of only 5 or whatever the number is for this round, they would have done it.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The thing that surprises me is that an EFL club is not able to broadcast a League Cup match against another EFL club even when not televised. Hence my suspicion that the Premier League made that a League Cup rule, since they have a stake in the game -- and they are very wary of club streaming.

EFL clubs make peanuts in TV revenue. It's literally about 5% of what Premier League clubs make via TV deals per season. That's one reason the League has liberated international rights to those non-televised matches for some streaming revenue.

17. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    To copy the current deal the EPL pays with a direct to consumer model to only the UK would be just under 28 pounds per month for 5M subscribers. I’d assume this could be lowered to below 20 pounds with the help of selling ad space and cobranded material. Doesn’t seem out of whack or preposterous.

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    That's the thing, they don't have to produce all the matches, they just need to let the teams do it if they have the infrastructure. All the EFL has to do is allow rights holders like ESPN to tap into and broadcast the feed from WolvesTV and the like.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Okay, so in the UK if you just want access to Premier League games and nothing else, you can get it for ~£28 ($36) per month over the course of the year (under the current system and broadcasting rights deals). The Premier League is getting £1.5 billion for its UK rights this season. Divide that number by 5 million viewers, divide again by 12 months... The number makes sense and I stand corrected regarding the potential direct-to-consumer cost per league.

That said, I live in the U.S. and want access the big soccer leagues and competitions as well as the NBA, NFL, MLB, college basketball and college football. The NFL alone is currently getting $7 billion per year for its TV rights in the U.S. On average, 15 million watch each game. That shakes out to $40/mo. just for the NFL. I'm currently paying ~$50/mo. total for YouTube TV, ESPN+ and NBC Sports Gold, which gives me access to all the sports content listed above save for La Liga, Ligue 1, the Portuguese Primeira Liga, and certain qualifiers, etc.

While it would be nice to have the option to go directly to each league to access its games, it'd be prohibitively expensive to do so for all the live sports I want if the respective leagues are trying to recoup money at the current rate at which their rights are being sold. More options for gaining access would be great, but it could be a disaster if we were all going straight to each league for content.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think any lower level leagues make more than 5% of the TV money that the top league in their country makes?

21. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, it's probably higher than almost any lower league on earth :) But, clubs with Premier League money still represent competition (currently and long term) for those stuck in the EFL and the gulf is only widening. Particularly now with FFP actually being enforced, clubs are looking for every revenue stream possible just to keep heads above water. That's the point I was making with the EFL allowing club provided intl streaming subs.

22. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    ESPN choosing QPR Millwall over the Famous team and Wednesday is quite laughable.

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ESPN Sky choosing QPR Millwall

Northerners relegated to the red button :)

24. NYC_nigel

NYC_nigel Member

Jan 10, 2005
    ESPN missing out on the big game this weekend! Wednesday against Preston??

QPR Kevin H and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  25. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I feel like those 3pm Saturday intl TV games are randomly or proportionally picked. Never really seems to be any sense based on table.