Effenberg has spoken to MLS...

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JRedknapp11, Aug 12, 2002.

1. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Seems like a long shot...but then again as his choices dwindle down...MLS seems like his last chance....

This is unfortuntly the least informative sight I found w/ this news... I'll post more in a little while...

From the ever unpopular....
    http://www.worldsoccernews.com/

Effenberg says he will retire next week if no new offers come in
    First Published: Aug 12, 2002

Former Bayern Munich captain Stefan Effenberg says he will retire by Monday if he has not secured a new contract with another club.

Free agent Effenberg has seen hopes of a return to former club Borussia Moenchengladbach end after Spanish interest in the veteran faded two weeks ago.

34 year old Effenberg failed to agree terms with Atletico Madrid and Galatasary before offers from several English clubs including Tottenham also saw no progress made to bring the former Bayern star to a new club.

Alaves and Racing Santander have rejected the chance to sign Effenberg due to his massive wage demands and unless he accepts the MLS salary cap stipulations and moves to a US club his career could be edned next week..

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I thought Big Kev was interested in bringing him to City.

3. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this before Anelka came aboard?

4. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    it fell through ages ago.... City has closed shop on their spending....

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Yup, good ol' SABuffalo, always on top of things =)

6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Is it me or does the whole Effenberg to MLS premise make no sense? That article mentions a total of six clubs that weren't willing to pony up to Effe's salary demands. Yet all six undoubtedly have more money to spend than MLS. If Effe doesn't accept Mönchengladbach's terms, why would he accept those of MLS?

7. VisualPlayground

VisualPlayground New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    NY Metro
    effenberg

effe talks today to austria wien (vienna)
    btw..he makes more a year then they spend for a mls team all together, so no..there is no chance to bring him to to america........i despite mls management, the quality of mls games are shyte, i cant watch this slime more then a half, gave up going to see the metrostars since matthaeus left and will never return, unless they finally hire some people (gasgoine etc) who bring some culture in the game

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Re: effenberg

Gazza would bring a fan with a terrible attitude back to the team? Sign him up NOW!

If you thought Matthaeus improved anything about MLS, I would view any conclusion you make about soccer with extreme suspicion. His signing turned out to be one of the worst investments in the history of the league.

9. cbsmith

cbsmith Member

Feb 21, 2001
    New Jersey

Thanks for your informed opinion...now go effenberg yourself.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    thanks visual playground, but mls will develop without gazza's "culture" and matthaeus' snobbishness.
    nasl tried it your way. need i say more?

11. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a bit of a loaded statement, isn't it? European decadence for decadence's sake is not an attractive thing. MLS games, while some are perhaps lacking, are better than average in quality, in my opinion, and we are the fodder league for a team that placed in the quarterfinals of the World Cup. Regarding Lothar's "performance" in MLS, I can think of two conclusions, to the best of my objective perspective: a) he did not take play to his potential with the Metrostars for one reason or another or b) he did not have the skills, pace, and gusto to play in MLS. Paul Gascoigne, likewise, does not have the same form anymore: he is not good enough for MLS, and we don't want him anyway.

If there is an affordable German star that might do well in this league, then perhaps it is Bierhoff rather than Effenberg. Bierhoff still has pace, unlike Effenberg, and has stated his desire to play here, but he may have just signed a contract elsewhere.

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    As a Rapid fan, I really hope this happens - can you say locker-room cancer? When Effenberg shows up at Austria with a salary twice that of everyone else needing his kid-glove treatment, that will be good news for the rest of the league. Plus the other players will have to keep a real close eye on their wives and girlfriends - lol!

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Don't let the door slap your a$$ on the way out. Matthaeus gave us a serving of your "culture," and it was strictly sour kraut.

Last week's match between Dallas and Chicago was eminently watchable. And I still go to Metro games no matter what. As for Gazza, he couldn't cut it with DC; he'd have dropped dead trying to run with our league. And he's supposed to bring culture to the game.

Aufwiedersehen -- except I'd rather not. You will not be missed.

14. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Since when?

http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2002/0812/20020812mcfcbernstein.html

'We feel that we've delivered on everything we promised in terms of adding to the quality of Kevin's squad in readiness for the Premiership season, but there is an exception to every rule.

'If the manager believes that Kerkar can add to the quality we have already got, I am sure he will find us flexible.'

15. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VisualPlayer is a moron with 2 brain cells. He actually thinks Lothar played well in MLS. His opinion on anything soccer related is meaningless.

16. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas

I despite bad grammar!

17. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

The only thing that was shyte was the way Matthaeus played.

Troll.

18. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Any gaffer will be given the green light to spend on a player if the team is creeping down, especially in Man City's case... as they don't want to be relegated again. OTherwise , it's been said over and over by Kev, that the purse strings are closed for awhile.

19. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  20. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Has Fritz Walter spoken to MLS yet? He's only been dead for two months ...

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I really hope the Effenberg to Austria deal goes through - it will be nice to dust off the old "Effe du Arschloch!" chant for three more derbies this season.

22. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    I agree with you completely visual playground!!!!
    cheers

23. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Effenberg has signed for VfL Wolfsburg.

24. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Effenberg has the proper attitude for a German import, but needs to age another five years before he is signable ...