Edwards' Dream comes true-- Stem cell causes woman in wheelchair to rise up and walk!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MtMike, Dec 6, 2004.

1. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the stem cells were taken from the nasal tissue of the same woman

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/06/ncell06.xml

"Because nasal tissue contains stem cells, which last a lifetime and are able to regenerate nerve tissue, it offers a way to patch up a broken spine. "Nature does most of the job, not us," said Dr Lima, who has conducted the operation on 34 patients so far."

and

"Dr Lima does not like the use of embryonic stem cells: "I am opposed but not only for ethical reasons. Mother Nature made embryonic stem cells to proliferate and adult stem cells to replace and repair. To defy Mother Nature's laws is, at least, dangerous."

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then, I guess that settles it.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to play devils advocate and asshole here and ask, "uh, you and Mother Nature are close right? I mean, she told you this...right?"

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knew that picking your nose could be good for you? Go figure... :D

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting stuff on Stem Cells in the "Y Chromosome" issue of Discover. Including a single skin stem cell surgically placed on the back of a hairless mouse resulted in a tuft of hair growing there. A german man had his jaw reconstructed after losing it to cancer... by growing a new jaw out of stem cells.

These things are powerful. If we have easy access to embryonic stem cells (and we do, from fertility treatments), we should use them for research, rather than tossing them in the trash as medical waste.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Stem cell causes woman in wheelchair to rise up and walk!"

And no doubt they will also help blind men hear!

7. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Are you actively campaigning for the lamest post of the year award or did this one just come naturally?

8. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Re: Edwards' Dream comes true-- Stem cell causes woman in wheelchair to rise up and w

actually, god told him to say that.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Edwards' Dream comes true-- Stem cell causes woman in wheelchair to rise up and w

I was going to say Bush, but to him they are the same thing.

10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    From now on, is picking one's nose going to be known as "harvesting stem cells"?

11. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's the point of this story. If a stem cell from elsewhere in the person's own body can get the results we need, why even mess with the whole embryonic controversy?

12. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Why don't you ask the Bush Administration's National Institute of Health. Since they are nominally constrained by science they won't make up lies about the powers of snot like most conservatives do.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp#useadult

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Galt,

You are missing the point.

Since adult stem cells can be useful for some things, we are morally obligated not to use embryonic ones for anything.

Pure logic. And you argue on the behalf of clients? They should get their money back!

Love,
    The garbage I read on F students' exams.

14. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I'm so ashamed, I'll just have to go on quoting the NIH. :)

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/faqs.asp