Edu offer from a "Top" club

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bigp, Oct 2, 2004.

1. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
  2. Trigger

Trigger New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    al'right dave ?
    I'd like to seem him leave, not that he isn't decent but Arsenal play so much better right now with Cesc in ahead of Edu and if we can get a fair penny for him then move him and let the future be now, with the cash we can search out that extra centre half or right back.
    Regardless, there's Bentley to come back, Pennant, Cesc himself, Freddie, that french kid from Marsielle. Wev'e enough to see us through in his january absence.
    More likely his agent is just looking for a higher wage from the Arsenal board.

3. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I agree. With Cese why do we still need Edu? Cese is better than Edu in everything, and is nowhere as lazy as Edu. Nowadays whenever I see Edu being played ahead of Cese I would shake my head. Which top club would be interested in getting Edu anyway? I am thinking that Edu and his agent is saying bull.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Edu...but if these rumours are true......don't let the door hit you on the way out.

5. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    wasn't he linked with barca while that whole vieira thing happened?

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What a tough crowd...

You guys are harsh. I know Cesc is hot, but Edu is a valuable member of the team and his form the second half of last year was a major force in our capturing the Premiership and going undefeated. Seems awfully early to be slagging him off to the rubbish heap. How many minutes has he played? How many games has Edu started? Just Rosenborg, I think. Cesc's played well, and I'm thrilled with him as anyone, but he's also played agains the weaker teams: Everton (who are not a top 6 club), Norwich, Blackburn and now Charlton. Not quite the same as Bolton, Ajax and Rosenborg away. We need depth in midfield, and Cesc's there to provide it, but I'm in no rush to see Edu go.

I love Freddie, and he's playing great, but he didn't start out fabulously last year and I remember some very pointed criticism and that we should ship him off while he still has value. And now we'd be missing him. This side still needs to settle down, Vieira especially, but Edu and later this winter, Gilberto. I'm thrilled we have Cesc, but I still think Edu should start ahead of him.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

unfortunately, he was linked.

the good news is that he wont be going anywhere near barcelona except if it as an opponent or if he is playing for espanyol :D

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What a tough crowd...

good point and i agree. people are too high on cesc. they are also too quick to forget that edu is a pretty decent/good player.

i only made my last comment cuz barcelona didnt and dont need him.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Weren't we all singing the praises of Edu last season and wanting Gilberto to be dealt? Cesc is young and who knows if he'll continue is good form throughout the season. Plus it's nice to have depth in the team.

10. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    The thing with Edu is that he's not a starter period. He's good a sub but as a starter he just sucks. I don't care if he scores the odd goal against whoever. If he wants to go then let him go. I personally think a lot of Arsenal fans overrated him when he had that scoring spell.

11. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Barca DID express intrest in EDU last year but It is impossible that he could still move there. Barca have to many Non European players as it is.

Good Point!! Arsenal's main problems last year in the CL was due to a Lack of
    Depth. Having EDU in our squad can only make us stronger.

-N1

12. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    I would think that Edu is wanted even more by Barca now that T. Motta is out for like the whole year. He can fill his spot. And doesn't Edu have a legit Portogeuse passport?

13. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gerard and Edmilson will be the DM during Motta's recovery. If needed, Marquez or Van Bronckhorst will cover.

Edu isnt good enough as a DM, no way he is going.

14. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    well I think he has a Portugese passport...legit i dont know! - remember he had a few problems with it when he signed for AFC

15. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Edu needs someone to help him in the PR department (Liebling, are you out there?). I mean, unless his agent told him to negotiate in his column, making that statement is one of the dumbest things he could do. Arsenal are loaded in midfield, he hasn't been playing especially well this season, and now he's inviting his every single move to be scrutinized by the fans and the press. Not smart.

If he goes, I sure won't miss his trips to play in whatever meaningless money-making friendly Brazil have lined up.

Last thing - aren't you supposed to, you know, play well when you're trying to secure a new contract?

16. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like Edu and would hope that he plans to stay. With him & Cesc in the mid working with Vieira I always feel good. He will get things worked out and get his head back to where it needs to be. He'll be playing top ball soon and if he doesn't Arsenal won't be able to offload him on anyone.

I hope he makes the right decision and starts playing like he did midseason last year.

17. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is this anti-Edu stuff? He played really well last season and broke into the Brazilian national squad. To win trophies you need to have depth in every position and with Vieira, Gilberto, Edu, Cesc and now Flamini the centre midfield is covered. Why on eath woud anyone want to weaken the squad? The only way I can see him leaving is if he demands silly money. Wenger and the board have shown that they won't stand for anyone messing them about like this when they let Wiltord go rather than pay him more than they thought he was worth.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I said in my comment that I like Edu (me stating that he played poorly against Rosenborg in the other thread doesn't change that). I think he is a fantastic player that is trying to bring himself back to form right now.

However, I agree with the comments made by others already that this was not the best PR move on his part, especially coupled with the stories late in the summer about how he supposedly said he'd like to play for Barca. My "door" remark was meant to convey my opinion that if he truly wants to leave....fine...leave. He would be missed but it would not be the end of the world.

19. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    Barcelona announced they don't want Edu b/c they have enough players in that position.

Lets not forget Edu is out of contract at then end of the season so he may be looking for a HUGE salary increase from us because he can get it if h leaves for free.

I want edu to stay cos h a great last season and scored some important goals for us - Cesc can't play more than 20 games this season and he still learning and Flamini is still unproven so we need Edu. Another good thing is Brazil don't really pick Edu and Gilberto together so when on is on international break, the other may still be here.

20. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :confused: What top club can use Edu in their starting lineup?

21. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    What happened to the Edu Army? I'm really quite surprised by the anti-Edu faction out there, as Edu really put together a good season for the Arsenal last season. He has better vision, passing than Gilberto, nevermind he has a great left foot. I'm a huge fan of Cesc and am really impressed w/ his passing to the wings for example, but he is young and he can only perform w/ help and depth. He's a classy player and I hope he stays, however Arsenal should not pay more than they value.

I believe Cesc should be brought along at the rate he is now. A good example is Andres Iniesta at Barcelona. I don't believe he's started a game yet, but he has been subbed in just about every match and has made an impact everytime.

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003

Arsenal Football Club~

and that team that won the last world cup~
    you know better nice!

i prefer a midfield of Vieira/Cesc, but Cesc cant take that amount of games yet.. if he wants to leave and will hold AFC hostage, then, dont let the door it ya on the way out mate!

23. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Madrid could use Edu or any other competent d-mid and he would also be Man U's 2nd best holding midfielder and get tons of time when Scholes or Keane are out. Roma and Depor are also Champion's League clubs that he would start for, IMO.

24. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It think we are still here, some of us have been dissappointed in his play so far this year. I want him to stay and I'm sure he will be playing well again. I think he needs to get the contract thing sorted out in order for him to focus on his play. Hopefully that will be worked out soon enough.

He can always pull an Owen and go sit on the bench of a team for more money, buy my hope is that he stays and gets focused on the season.

25. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    I think we should keep as cover.Possibly #3 behind Cesc.