Edu at Glasgow Rangers II [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Own goals are terrible, but they are fixable and not usually a characteristic of any player intentionally.

Edu has had some great performances in Champions League and in other big games for Rangers. He continually proves how important of a player he can be in dictating the pace of a match and disrupting the opposition. Great signing for Rangers.

Possible great signing for a lot of other clubs with his continued improvement....

2. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His volley that came back off the post was pretty killer.

3. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

His feet are nowhere as good as Senna, nor could he play "anywhere" in La Liga. His style of strength over skill fits Scotland, but its doubtful any team in la liga would find it appealing.

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a very interesting game that will raise a lot of debate. He had bad giveaways in front of his own box at the start and end of the game, the only Rangers goal, the only Valencia goal and nearly had a spectacular long range goal where the rebound should have been put in. So was it a good game or a bad game? First half :cool: Second half :eek:

5. El Gringo Ronaldo

El Gringo Ronaldo New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Irvine/Utrecht
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just look at the bright side, for the first time in history, and american has scored TWO goals in a UEFA Champion's league game.

6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he scored a goal?

So, Americans are more rascist than Ranger fans? Unfortunately as an American I fear this would be a closer call than I would like.

7. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I've been over and seen a game in Ibrox. As an American, I never had any trouble. Quite the opposite in fact.

I frequent several Rangers forums and not once have I seen anything racist written. I've seen varying opinions, but that is like anything else. I'd say it is similar to the BigSoccer arguments over Michael Bradley. Some are fans, some are not and that's just the way it.

I'd say that criticism that Edu faces along the lines that any other footballer/soccer player faces. Look at the forums here and JonD would be screaming about anti-Semitism because of the criticism at Bornstein.

I'd love to know what forums you are referring to. I've yet to see anything racist.

Beasley's car was fire bombed because of a girl he was seeing in the Biblical sense. Race had nothing to do with it.

8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL havent seen that word in YEARS. Not since i was a regular on the Myspace Soccer pages. Sorry this post has nothing to do with anything, just a nostalgic moment for myself

EDIT* i dont mean to offend, its just been some time since ive seen it used.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There are plenty of racists twerps in Glasgow, like any city.

And there are plenty of reactionary Gers supporters who will blame any players for any non-existent reason at any time.

Reyna caught a lot of crap at certain times. So did Avocaat. Flo got dumped on more than any human being I've ever seen (with good soccer reasoning admittedly). Ricksen has some really funny vile nicknames. Even Bazza got rode by a small minority. It just happens.

10. The_Glasgow_Rangers

The_Glasgow_Rangers New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    What were these nicknames we called Ricksen? :confused:

Advocaat was hero worshipped amongst the Rangers support and was given a standing ovation by our fans at the UEFA Cup Final 2 years ago.

Just what are you talking about? :confused:

11. The_Glasgow_Rangers

The_Glasgow_Rangers New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Oh and btw the tune we chant Edu's name to is 'Marching Through Georgia'

get your skull around that one :rolleyes:

12. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    No need to get so defensive, I think he's making a perfectly valid point. Football fans do single out players for abuse, you only need to frequent Rangers forums to see the kind of stick Lafferty gets, for example. The verbal abuse directed at him has been far more vitriolic than anything Edu's received. At the risk of incurring the wrath of American fans on here, I actually think he gets it easy from sections of our support compared to others.

Like freisland says, there will be a number of Rangers fans whose criticism of Edu is, subconsciously or otherwise, racially motivated. But you gets racists in every corner of the globe, of every background. JonD seemed to be implying that it was a Rangers/Scotland issue, which is ludicrous. If Edu has a bad game I'll criticise him, but the same applies to any player who isn't playing well, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation etc etc.

I also think "ThePebble" made a very good point by drawing parallels to the criticism of Jonathan Bornstein. I'm sure "JonD" has never accused any USMNT fans of anti-semitism due to lamenting his supposedly poor runs of form.

13. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Was this lifted from Rangersmedia I guess?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    being of Scot background and having spent time in Scotland, I can assure you that while not every criticism of ethnic minorities in Glasgow is racism, some is.

I doubt it's out of whack with the rest of the Europe or North America, but it happens. No biggie.

15. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    If racism was the huge deal you think it is in America, how come we never have any problems at sporting events were the vast majority of the athletes are black. Europe has huge race problems that are much more overt than those in the US. If a fan at a US sporting event ever threw a banana on the field or made racist chants they would be kicked out of the stadium so quickly it would make your head spin. This seems to happen with alarming regularity in Europe. I realize I'm lumping an entire continent in one group and I'm not claiming Rangers fans are racist, however I do take exception to your view of American society that does not really reflect reality.

16. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No problems at sporting events? Maybe not. How about the hurricane Katrina aftermath? Every country from Russia to Italy has racism. To accuse even a small section of Rangers supporters of being racist is abhorrent. Most Americans don't seem to realise how big football is in Glasgow. Every minute detail of the Old Firm is scrutinised.

Kenny Miller who has scored at least ten goals this season was once nicknamed " Kenny Misser ", which was relevant the other night. Barry Ferguson nicknamed " Barry squarepass " , quite harsh? Ferguson was the THIRD most succesful passer in the English Premiership last year.

Edu is not being singled out because he is black! He isn't getting singled out at all! Kyle Lafferty, a white Northern Irishman, is the most " hated " player by Rangers fans. The reason? He's shite.

Mo Edu is not the first black man to play for Rangers, yet when say, someone like Marvin Andrews or Emerson were criticised their was no cry of racism. I feel it's something to do with Americans psyche.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't tell I did that to make a point??? Let's use our brains shall we.

Never said, or hinted, that ALL criticism towards Edu is racially motivated. There's an element of racism in SOME of the criticism directed towards Edu.

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone actually got direct evidence that racist comments were directed at Edu during this recent game? After the game?

If not, why was it even brought up?

19. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A very reasonable query.

Best watch out for the irrational response. Temperatures seem to be running a tad high...

20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod definitely deleted some posts. Nazi mods; no free speech.

21. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she turned me into a newt!

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I once worked in a kitchen staffed by all green Glaswegians except one Spanish guy who was learning "English" from them. That was pretty funny. One day I delivered food from that kitchen to Lorenzo Amorouso's table. I always wondered what was actually on the plate.

23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Because jond overreacts?

24. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I've asked before and I'd be interested to see it. What message board are you looking at? Can you quote an example of a racist attack on Edu? Legitimate racist assaults on players should never be tolerated regardless of the team or support.

Free speech...? :confused:

25. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Accusing people of being racist without substantiating it is fairly libellous stuff, it's not difficult to understand why it might have been removed.