Edson's Day in Court

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Nonesuch, Aug 4, 2005.

1. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do you not read English?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, when this story first broke, you were all upset about us talking about Edson's record. Now you say you don't want us talking about other players other than Edson. Which is it?

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where did I say that?

I said I didn't think it was right for you to post his whole record on a message board. Still don't, there are other ways to get your message across without resorting to that and it's easily accessable information anyway.

I said I didn't think this stuff should be in the sports section because it doesn't pertain to sports. It's in the Metro section if you want to read it.

I never once said you can't discuss it. Talk about what you want to talk about, I don't give a damn. I said you shouldn't want to, I said why do you care. I think it makes you kind of pathetic to want to talk about it, but who cares what I think.

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also as pertains to Edson's record, I also question what it has to do with his OVI anyway.

I speed everywhere I go, about the only time I'm going speed limit is when I can't get around a person. I have also driven with expired tags a couple weeks while at college. I drove 4 months with a suspended license when I didn't get proof of insurance to the DMV in time because I never opened the request letter they sent me. It wasn't until I went to renew may tags that I learned I had a suspended licence and I just showed them my old insurance card to prove I did have insurence in the period they wanted to know I had it and it was reinstated(I still have a problem with that since it should be the burden of the state to prove I didn't have insurence, not me that I did have it).

Does any of that mean I'm going to get in my car tomorrow and drive drunk?

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Officer Larry tell you I stopped by at the Strongsville Tourney? You had already left.

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) The same way Matt Kmosko's record got "pulled" into the thread. Hell, the same way ANYTHING gets pulled into a discussion board thread. In case you haven't noticed, most BS threads are not exactly linear. On page one you're talking about goal differential and by page three everyone's swapping Simpson's qutes and posting pictures pf Alizee.

It's the very nature of the beast, and you know it. The only time I can recall you objecting is when it takes a turn you don't like.

2) I "judged" Cunningham? Ridiculous. I took the facts on record and constructed a very likely, and pretty tame, scenario. How much you wanna bet I'm wrong?

Either way, you then turning around and saying the charges against Cunny were "trumped up" is absurd. Were you there? Did you talk to Jeff or the Officers involved? Sorry, but that's just garbage.

As I've tried to explain to you before, when you choose (the operative word) to purssue certain lines of endeavor and/or employment, being a "public figure" comes with the territory.

Run for town council, become a schoolteacher or administrator, become a minister or a judge or a professional athlete or a hundred other things and suddenly people are interested in your private life.

It's "news" in the broadest sense, and people will read about it and talk about it when you mess up. It's part of the whole deal, and people who choose those enterprises accept it.

You're really making a silly, indefensible argument, if you can even call it that.

I have yet to see anyone "kicking" Edson Buddle. I would be offended if I did. He's a kid who screwed up. Like we've all done. It's interesting, it does affect the team, and unless Edson is a complete idiot he knows damned good and well that his tale will get bandied about.

So the hell what? Public embarassment is a powerful factor in a lot of people getting wised up in life, and that goes for all of us. No one is condemning the guy, except for that one person a while back who wanted to get all MADD about it. Big freakin deal.

The "sheer evil"? Please. Get a grip.

And I'm ashamed that I've wasted my time arguing about a nothing issue with someone who has an overdeveloped, very juvenile sense of moral outrage over something like this.

Grow the hell up.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not a matter of what I want. The United States strives to have a free and open society. If you wish to debate that, there are other forums.

What some folks choose to do or not do with the information isn't subject to what I want. If you don't want to get involved in the discussion, just don't read the thread. For the most part, that's what I've done. You'll notice I'm not discussing the particulars. But this is a free society. If others want to do so, that's their freedom. What I feel about it is relevant only to me.

8. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle for MVP!!!!!!

*I just figured this thread needed some comic relief, and boy, was this ever good comic relief...

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So by the same token, if you pull a Roy Lassiter and clean out someone's cellar, the "right" thing to do is get rid of the loot before cops find you?

Or if you pull an OJ, the "right" thing to do is throw the knife in a lake so they can't convict you as easily?

I'm sorry, I have a major problem with the whole premise of avoiding a breathalyzer being the right thing to do, especially if you were indeed driving drunk.

10. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you will all BURNNNNNN in hell!!!!!!

11. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Let's see. If I'm dumb enough to clean out the cellar I should compound my mistake by showing up at the police headquarters with it? Or if I pull an OJ, I should take the knife with me? We're not talking right or wrong in the moral sense. We're talking right or wrong in the smart versus dumb sense. Learn how to read.

12. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    who cares about Edson Buddle.
    we got more important things to worry about.
    like terrorism.

13. StraightShooter

Jul 17, 2004
    Looks like Edson emptied the piggy-bank to pay his fine.
    $204 paid, $395 remaining.

Take up a collection for the guy? Maybe he can hold a car-wash for fans as they leave the CCS parking lot!

14. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS player I have in mind wasn't charged with anything criminal, but he was called in to a grand jury to testify about the disposition of a speeding ticket that was conveniently dismissed by an accomodating judge out here in San Jose. Same judge did similar favors for a hockey player. Judge got investigated for it all. This was a few years ago, we discussed it in the San Jose board at the time. The MLS player? Dwayne DeRosario. Funny thing is, he did without his drivers license for a long spell, rode his bike everywhere; ended up liking it enough for the extra strength/conditioning/fitness that he *still* rides his bike everywhere. Turned out well for him. He "doesn't remember" much about the court issue...

DougO

15. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I'm surprised that I'm posting this only 2 days after it first came out. Maybe Myshap has talked everyone else into not thinking about the subject.

ESPN Report on Buddle

16. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    what's more shocking is that he still leads the team in goals.

17. soccerwriter

soccerwriter New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    new york
  18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear they're all willing to help, as he's gonna need a lot of rides. Not sure how the bus service is out his way. I didn't realize that the second you refuse the Breathalyzer your license goes "poof" right on the spot. I thought a judge had to do it after you were found guilty of something.

19. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Refusing the breathalyzer is an automatic suspension. As is refusing to provide a blood sample.

Advocates of the Fifth Amendment argue that this is a clear violation of the individuals right to avoid self-incrimination and is a violation of juris prudence. Those that support the measure claim that it is an effective tool for the police and judicial system. Basically, Individual rights v law & order.

It was a law that MADD got pushed through when they were making enough noise to strike fear into legislators looking to reelection.

The legal theory, as I recall, is that you have no rights to your blood, breath, etc. and therefore it is not covered under the Fifth or any other rights to privacy or self. It really is based on the mindset of expanding the rigths of law enforcement to search and detain the individual in order to promote a "safer society."

20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thought that you have no rights to your own blood which remains on a closed system of tubes in your own body is patently ridiculous. I don't disagree that our 'law and order at all costs' legal system believes that it isn't but you have to wonder if we've become so desensitized to everything that it doesn't "shock the conscience" to have people submit to blood lettings in the interest of prosecutorial evidence gathering.

21. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially if some form of prejudice over some sort of disease that you carry in your blood (ahem, HIV) can still effectively deny you health insurance, jobs, etc.

What's more shocking is that he is not the lowest scoring goal leader. The Crew are bad, but at least we're multi-ethnically bad!

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Has the Dispatch talked to any of Edson's teammates about this or do soccer fans have to rely on an Internet site covering NY soccer to read about player reaction?

Did the Dispatch even mention that he can't play because of the "treatment?"

I mean, in fairness to the Dispatch, unlike other papers you can miss their articles on line because you have to actually subscribe to the paper, which living out of town, I ain't doing. So, they may have done a full page feature and I'd have missed it. How did they handle it?

23. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Actually, no. You can get access to the online edition only for $4.95 a month. That's about what I'm actually willing to pay for the print edition. :p Unless you have a lot to do with Columbus, such as business operations here, or are disturbingly homesick for the place, that's a bit much.

24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    If you have the paper edition, even just weekend service, the online version is free.

And the Dispatch did have a small article the day after Edson was "suspended" by the league pending a visit to a league mandated doctor due to a substance abuse problem. It has not had an article regarding his various teammates reactions to his trouble though...

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Certainly you have a right to your own blood and to refuse a breath test too. The legal theory is that driving on public roads isn't a right but a privilege thus the need for licensing. The state withdraws it's license to let you use the roads if you exercise your right to hold onto your blood or breath.

Various US Supreme Court cases have held that people have a right to travel between states and within states, but the theory that you need state permission to use state roads has never been overturned.