Edson's Day in Court

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Nonesuch, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Apparently the news is out. Channel 10 reported Edson's OVI arrest on the segment it has on CNN. He's due in court on Monday.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT AN OUTRAGE!!!!!

This is a man's personal business for Pete's sake!

What kind of a horrible human are you to pry into something that has NOTHING TO DO WITH SOCCER!

I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He was found guilty, he has been sentanced to 3 nights next to Greta vanSustern. or whetever her name is.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that sure is getting off easy. I understand the last guy had to spend three nights with Helen Thomas.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So now it's OK to talk about this?

I just wanna know what the guidelines are so the mods don't delete my posts and some Crew fans give me all kinds of neg rep and what not.

As I said before, I imagine Edson will end up getting suspended over this and I damn sure think his prior driving record will come up, both with the team and in court.

And, it's a blackeye for the Crew and the league, which is another reason I think he'll get suspended and why I think it was always relevant for discussion.

6. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It was in the Columbus Dispatch this morning so I don't see why we wouldn't be able to talk about it with a published report out there.

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Sandon we've been over this via PM but that isn't good enough for you, is it?

I removed your last thread because you posted his entire record, no need. If folks wanna find that they can do the searching -- I could care less if we talk about this charge. Have at it, but I won't let it evolve in to something more --

If you wanna have that discussion the thread is in another place.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    But what if his entire record is relevant?

What if the Crew decide it factors into the suspension? Or Don Garber? What if the prosecutor or judge thinks it matters?

The fact is, you don't know that isn't the case. Granted, I don't know it will, but it could, and that makes it fair game. At least, it should.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Here's what gets me about the whole incedent and reading it from the public record. People make assumptions based on two word phrases.

Here's the big one. One of the charges was failure to comply. So people took that to mean Edson was cussing the cops up and down the block and telling them he was a big star ect ect ect... In fact the Dispatch reports Edson only refused to take the Breathalizer, which is his right to do. That's where the failure to comply comes in.

It's also the right thing to do in that situation. According to a close Judge friend of the family, you lose your license for 6 months, but if your drunk your going to lose your license anyway. By refusing the Brethalizer and street tests, it's harder to prove for the prosecution you were drunk and the DUI charge is easier to plead down because the prosecution wants something.

Then you have the One Way Street charge. According to people on this board it's like he went the wrong way on 270 or something. Could he have turned down an alley, dark at night not knowing it was a one way street? ******** no he must've been mowing down women and children.

Even the OVI charge itself has people suggesting he was on crack.

So you can pull up his files all you want, but they don't really tell you anything about the situation do they? And that means everything in his file.

Like could it be possible in the condo situation that Edson is in the right. Could the Condo have promised him certain things and failed to come through with those. Could he have paid the condo fees he thought he was promised, but not the ones the Condo actually have. Nope in Bigsoccer land Edson is a dead beat that is a danger to his neighbor's kids and smokes crack.

You don't have all the facts, but you play like you do because you have a public file. That's dochebaggery at it's highest.

10. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I just want to voir dire the witness.

11. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myshap-- I have NEVER heard of a "failure to comply" charge come out of a Breathalyzer refusal. Two separate things. The charge is properly called "failure to comply with a lawful order" meaning he may not have stopped for the "blues and twos" to the Copper's liking, or refused to give Operator's License when asked, etc.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but the right thing to do is to not be drunk and behind the wheel of a car. Believe me, I'm not naive enough as to be unaware of where I am (an internet soccer board on which most participants believe ingesting alcohol to be the greatest thing since the advent of sliced bread), but the problem is not with the cops asking for a breathalyzer. the problem is with a boatload of people getting wasted each year, and a portion of those drunkards mowing down people. I am not trying to preach to you, but I hope you just used a poor choice of words when you stated that its the right thing to do, to avoid a Breathalyzer, as opposed to not being drunk on the road at all.

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What I mean is if you are guilty as ********, no reason to give the prosecution the evidence to convict you.

14. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'm assuming you're a lawyer based on your name. Therefore let me put this in plain English. Myshap is talking about what happens AFTER you're dumb enough to drink and drive. "That situation" refers to the aftermath of a dumb decision. He's indicating that Buddle made the only smart decision that night when he decided NOT to submit to the Breathalyzer test.

Sandon, the only thing that his record shows is a level of immaturity or rebelliousness that requires therapy. I know he comes from divorced parents. That may or may not be the reason. Maybe it's frustration with his constant injuries. Or maybe the situation he has been through with Nie at the helm the past few years. You could see the change on the field (I'm not running if I don't have to, etc). But all of this could have been accomplished not by listing each and every infraction but by summarizing that he has had a number of citations in the last 3 years, mostly speeding or registration violations.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    But I'm not trying to point out he's immature or disillusioned or frustrated or whatever.

I'm pointing out that his cumulative record could end up being a factor used against him either by the legal authorities or the ones at the Crew/MLS.

Let's say, hypothetically, the Crew cut him over this and we didn't know about the rest of his record but they did. We might say "gosh, that seems awfully harsh" and disagree with it.

But, taken in context of his whole record, it might shed more light on what happens to him.

And that was largely what I've been trying to point out by always bringing up his record. (Well, then it became a matter of principle about censorship, but that's for another place.) The other thing I wanted to point out was how much soccer gets ignored by the media, even when a player screws up.

Had a member of the Indians or Browns or Bluejackets or Cavs or OSU football or basketball teams had Fast Eddie's driving record and then got busted for drunk driving and all the other stuff he got Saturday night, it would be HUGE sports news. But a soccer player? It's a paragraph buried at the end of a game story three days after the fact.

16. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Milbut's right. With two clicks anyone can get his whole record anyway, so there's no argument for not posting it here. Especially when mods themselves are telling people what those two clicks are.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let's get this thread back on track...

The real question is, if you are Edson do you choose Greta and Helen at once....or do you hold out to meet Rico in the showers after dinner?

18. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    More likely to happen, Edson kicks someone's ass right away in an effort to establish street cred, or Edson becomes someone's bitch?

19. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    bitch, dependign on sentence time

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I hope he gets friendly with the guy who knows how to get things.

21. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Sadly he won't be staying long enough to get prison tats and join the Pearl Alley crips.

22. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Class. Edson is going to learn the price of Maxim Magazine not in dollars but in cigarettes.

23. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bitch, fo shizzle. Dude is a pro soccer player, not exactly threatening to compete for the Ultimate Fighting Championship any time soon.

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I say he picks up islam and comes back as Edson El Shabazz

25. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually if he were cut over this for any reason even knowing his record, I'd go "Gosh that seems awfully harsh " and disagree with it. If he's going to get cut it needs to be because he isn't producing goals, not anything that happened off the field.

Second is that really what you want? To have all these things come out just becuase they come out in other leagues. There's already a section in the Newspaper for arrests it's called the Metro section, which by the way, Edson's arrest was in. It's wrong when they do it then, and it's wrong now. I just don't get the fasination with it or why fans think they are entitled to know every little detail and especially the bad details of someone they watch kick a ball around.

If that's what you want though, remember everything comes at a price. In the other leagues where this kind of thing is front page material the players are disconnected from the fans, they think of the fans and media as the enemy and are told to avoid them if possible by management.

Is that what you want for MLS?