Edson Buddle Transfer?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by bigtimebuck4, Oct 11, 2004.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    is it possible Edson could maybe move to Europe? strikers and goal scoreres are always in demand plus his age is about right, but given his limited playing time for the national team i wonder how much exposure Europe has had to him. Your kinda caught between your desire to see him stay in columbus and help the Crew win, and wanting to see him move across and develope quicker than say a Brian McBride, who many Europeans felt his transfer was long over due. thoughts?

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

There is about 362,564,872 players in Europe that are the equivalent of Buddle of better. He's done nothing at the international level and can't stay fit enough to play a full season.

I'd say his chance over going over to Europe looks limited.

4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would be very good at learning a foreign language very well... I doubt he could get into England, and any other league where a team might pick him up probably wouldn't help him develop all that much.

5. Toejam Football

Toejam Football New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Columbus,OH

Why does Edson have to learn to speak a foreign language to play anywhere in continental Europe? Carlos Valderrama played in MLS, what, six or seven seasons, and never did learn to speak English.

Having said that, I don't think any European club will call for Buddle's services. Not in the next year anyway.

6. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    just score more goals for the Crew, his time will come... ;)

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having lived in Europe, my personal opinion is that Buddle would be miserable and alone over there unless he landed on a team w/ other Americans or Brits that he could converse with. Sure you don't HAVE to speak the local language, but it makes a tremendous diference in the experience.

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

I agree to an extent.

Who was it in Germany that said they would stay up late at night to watch CNN just so they could hear English while in Germany?

9. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    wow, thanks for the receptivness. I understand that its possible myquestion may be a bit nieve, as i dont totally understand the politics of soccer. But you are the same bunch that bitch about people/media in columbus not suporting the team, and then when a lifetime American football player/fan trys to educate himself aabout this game i get "buzz off." maybe it isnt Euro-snobs but soccer snobs. Irregardless, He doesnt have to play for Arsenal to move to Europe, I find it hard to believe his skills wouldnt eb in demand in Holland, France or Belgium, but like i said im more than capable of being wrong. Next time a simple "no" would suffice.

10. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well that's the risk you take when goin on the columbus boards...i mean with their team doing so well you would expect them to be a happier folk

anyways...buddle is a forward and europe doesn't take too kindly to american forwards...i mean buddle could go to europe and play in lesser divisions, but doing so he would REALLY have to adapt to a small club atmosphere in most likely a provincial area...he's young which is good for an athlete but also shows emotional immaturity which he cannot have if he were to leave the US

11. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    there are probably just as many clubs

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah - we're the same bunch of rotters we always were.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why don't we think Edson can learn a language?

Is he deemed to be too stupid or does he have a learning disability? Is it because he only went to college for a year and it was at a JuCo? Is it something else?

Given that most foreign teams hire tutors to help with the language and that he'll be using the languarge his job and be immersed in it away from it, I'm guessing "even" Edson can learn the language skills.

As to the greater question, I don't see Europe calling after this year. But, if he stays healthy, scores more next year than this and gets a few caps with the nats, then, yes, I think Europe will come knocking. Granted, those are big "if's" but Edson is big, strong, fast and has good touch and he won't be too expensive. While there may be plenty of players like Buddle in Europe, his skills are such that there will still be a demand for them.

14. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah I don't get that whole, "they have to go to Europe to develop" bit. What the hell are they going to learn sitting on the end of the bench of some Euro crap club simply because their American that they don't learn starting 25 to 30 games in MLS? Donvan had to come to MLS to develop, Twellman had to come to MLS to develop, Gibbs had to come to MLS to develop ect, ect, ect. The Euro leagues did ******** all for them and their development.

Here's an idea for ya, most Euro clubs, and especially big Euro clubs, don't want to spend the time of day develop foreign talent, they want the talent that is already developed and ready to play day in and day out in their league. Buddle will go to Europe if or when he fully develops in MLS. That means consistancy throughout the year and he has to get better off and on the ball. If it happens, then he'll go to Europe.

15. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I believe it's because he's hard pressed to say boo to anyone. Very shy and soft spoken and his longest interviews seem to only be one or two sentances. Often times he gives one word answers to questions. I think where people are getting at is if he goes to a place where he can't talk to anyone, he could find himself very isolate, very quickly and that wouldn't be good for Edson.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Give Edson a little more time. If he plays this well for another year or two there will be interested European teams. I'd say the same for Eddie Johnson. Let's make sure he can stay healthy and perform consistently against MLS defenses.

He of course can't go to England now as he doesn't have enough caps. Unless he can find some long lost relative from Cardiff (Jamaicans are fantastic at this). He could probably go to a lower division in Germany like Cory Gibbs, but why?

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a big Black population in Wales?

18. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Buddle is at the top of the list of Crew players that Euro clubs might be interested in. Marshall would probably be number 1, followed by Martino and then Cunningham. Buddle is probably number 4. Though if the Euro clubs were paying close attention, they ought to rate Wingert a strong number two right behind Marshall.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just because he's quiet and soft spoken doesn't mean he can't learn the language.

And, if he doesn't talk much in the US, then would he really miss it all that much if he couldn't talk in a country where he didn't learn the language? I would think loquacious people would have more issues there than quiet soft spoken ones like Edson!

20. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Only in Cardiff. You won't find a taxi driver who isn't Somalian or Algerian. And yes, there are a few Jamaicans.

Everyone's skint in Europe at the moment so MLS players are quite an appealing prospect due to their cheapness and the fact that MLS has historically, but not lately, been a soft touch when it comes to negotiating a fee. They still need the caps to play in England though - better to try France or some other country with less work permit red tape.

Hejduk is probably a more likely target for now, even though his previous attempt was less than inspiring.

21. Southern Fried

Southern Fried New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    M'boro
    Columbus will need more than Edson, to beat Colorado this weekend. Buzz on!
    PS Bill Archer needs therapy!

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GIN!!!! BILL ARCHER NEEDS GIN< DAMMIT!!!!!!

Therapy is for losers. Sex and booze will straighten a man out.

23. Southern Fried

Southern Fried New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    M'boro
    Only if your not doing both by yourself.

24. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Martino and Europe just like Martino and Nats shouldn't be spoken in the same sentance until he learns to play his position and pick his head up and make good passes.

Oh and Sandon I would think just the opposite. Someone who seems intraverted like Buddle would have harder time in a foreign speaking country because one he's not talking, two people are talking to him, and I've found people like that usually find at least one person they can relate to and latch on, hard to find if they don't speak your language. I think Buddle was helped a lot when Martino, a friend from youth, came to Columbus and I know he's really good friends with Cunningham who often takes Buddle down to Jamacia in the offseason with him.

But then again that's all speculation. He could just be media shy and fan shy, but is a regular Chatty Cathy with everyone else.

Still I wouldn't suggest any American go to any other country then England or Neatherlands to play soccer. In the other big league countries they don't even give Americans the playing time to prove they belong there in the first place(see every American who ever went to Bayern Leverkusion).

25. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know I was reading the jobs ads the other day and I looked at one and made me double take. First pass I thought it said The rapist, and I was like how are they advertising for that? Then I saw it was Therapist, but hey it still fits