Jorge Sánchez @ AFC Ajax

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Y tu mama tambien, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    JJV1994 and El Verde repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope your optimism comes to pass!!

JJV1994 repped this.
  3. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Was a beast today. The whole team was doing Sporting dirty on their own turf. If they keep this up, this team is going to get gutted because they have a lot of great youngsters. Possibly see Alvarez leaving soon.

rich loc, blue4211, Vatazo and 3 others repped this.
  4. TheColorfulKit

Fire
    Mexico
    Jan 2, 2021
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    gonna be such a weird summer transfer window in 2022 with the WC being in the winter. Do we want him to make a move to a new league/country just 3 months before the WC?

5. No, of course you won't. He will spend alot of energy into adapting to a new play style, infighting in the team, new surroundings and show up in the green shirt gasped.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Alvarez was MOTM for me against Fortuna Sittard this afternoon. Just a perfect match. His pass to Blind on the third Ajax goal was incisive and his defending wonderful winning every duel. He is looking to make quick forward passes now and his teammates are seeing this improvement and getting him the ball these days. Keep it up!!!!!!

7. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thanks for the update

Kaney repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No problem. for those interested there probably is a replay available on ESPN+.

9. wolfpupz

wolfpupz Member+

Jan 24, 2011
    SJCA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Edson just scored a header vs Groningen
    Winning 1-0 almost half time

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He is having another great match. I think he has won every duel and his passing is top class. His value is increasing weekly for this team.

11. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It’s amazing how much Edson’s improved with Ajax.

And people still debate whether or not to send our guys to the Dutch league vs another league.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All the Mexican players who have gone to the Dutch league have seen their game greatly improve. they are forced to play quicker and ball skills are at a premium. Alvarez, and I've been one of his biggest boosters, was weak in both when he came to the team. His teammates would not pass to him at first because he didn't react quickly enough. This doesn't happen anymore. He is quick to see open players and make good through passes which is what is needed from the holding MF.

Kaney, and1football, blue4211 and 7 others repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Alvarez goes the full 90 minutes and his first half goal was the match winner. Good play all around and is proving to be a great defensive stopper. Champions League match coming up against Besiktas mid week!!!

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kaney, DaTruth, wolfpupz and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Name them .... and we will shame them:D

Kaney and and1football repped this.
  16. Anyway, the reason he has improved immensely this season is because he after the regular training worked with among others another 10-15 minutes extra with Gerald Vanenburg ( a master technician footballer) or Richard Witsche to improve his execution speed of play, technical mastery of the ball, like his kicking. His labour with these skill trainers show up in his matches this season.

Kaney, Saldgotti1991, Orange14 and 2 others repped this.
  17. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ajax 8 games played. 35 Goals scored. 2 Conceded

Kaney and Orange14 repped this.
  18. :D
    Remember Maza?:)

19. You know, in the other/better? leagues clubs exploit you.
    In the Eredivisie and Belgian league we invest in you.
    Just look at the coaching staff of Feyenoord/PSV/Ajax. You find there former superstars transferring their knowledge to players of the club. Van Nistelrooij/van Persie/Makaay etc.
    You donot see that with the "superclubs".

Kaney and Orange14 repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @feyenoordsoccerfan has it right in his post. Ajax were very patient with Alvarez when most of the supporters thought the club made a huge mistake. The player also contributed by working on the necessary skills that would make him a starter on a club that is playing CL football right now. Of course he won't spend the remainder of his career with Ajax, but he is a far better player right now than a year ago when a lot of people were arguing that he should be sold to a Spanish club even if Ajax would take a loss on the transfer. Good holding MFs are valued and I won't be surprised at all if his transfer value approaches €30M given his young age and physical skills.

21. DaTruth

DaTruth Member+

Jul 15, 2007
    IE, Cali
    People on here debate that?

Kaney and and1football repped this.
  22. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    I’ll out myself, I’m not entirely sold that the Dutch league is the gold standard unless there’s champions league guaranteed. Which isn’t always the case since the second place team rarely gets through the qualifying stages. The development can be great but the level of competition behind maybe one other team seems to be below mls standards. What is more valuable, the chance that one player at Ajax becomes better or facing better competition every week? Edson appears to have improved so far in the Dutch league and I’m not hating on him at all - he’s probably my current favorite player for the national team but he did make two huge mistakes this summer. Did other players start to transcend after playing the Dutch league? Lozano imo was as good going in as he was leaving, corona as well

Kaney repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As one who has attended and watched MLS matches since the league began, I don't take this sentence seriously at all. MLS players have nowhere near the technical proficiency of their Dutch counterparts. The only problem Dutch clubs have is the lack of television revenue that forces them into selling players early and often.

24. Let alone the tactical proficiency of the Eredivisie players.
    Beckenbauer once said if he had the time and possibility to watch a Dutch league match, he always would do it, just for the interesting tactical things going on.

Kaney and blue4211 repped this.
  25. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    How many times has a Dutch team gone through CL qualification the last decade? What good is tactical proficiency if it doesn’t help elevate your level of competition