Jorge Sánchez @ AFC Ajax

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Y tu mama tambien, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don’t think it’s as simple as him not playing well enough. There’s personal shit and his style of play doesn’t seem to be what the coach wants, tactically. I may be full of shit, but every time I see him play I like what I see.

2. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    El fútbol de Holanda es muy rápido para su estilo.

Y el perfil de equipo y fútbol del Ajax exige mucho más técnicamente de lo que puede dar Edson.

Edson debe jugar siempre como central, de contención no le va a alcanzar en un buen equipo de Europa.

beat junky repped this.
  3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1350867781378600961 is not a valid tweet id

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Alvarez put in a good shift at the end of the match. He had some good interventions and seemed to bring quality to the defense which was sorely needed. Ajax are playing two matches a week all month long and I am totally mystified why he has not seen more action. Klaassen, who is his direct competition, seems to be running on fumes right now. I hope to see more of him on Wednesday as there is a Cup match away to AZ and AZ's tactics o not pressing high up are made for Alvarez.

Don Boppero 3000 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  5. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Coach doesn't seem to rotate much.

Lisandro Martinez can't get off the bench either.

It's a bit strange but I don't know much about what the club's expectations are for this season.

6. Their first aim is to win the title. That's why they splashed the highest transferfee ever for the Eredivisie for the striker Haller.
    They need the 40 million €€ bonus of the CL to stay ahead of the competition. Last season they were saved by the covid end of the competition, as they were given the CL slot at the cost of AZ.
    Last season was a warning that winning the title isnot a given and going a season without CL money could be the start of seeing the competition (mainly PSV and AZ) go level.
    If PSV and/or AZ get their hands on that 40 million, things are going to shift.

7. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Edson starting for Ajax.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He went the full 90 and I thought that he was a solid '7' today. had a nice header off a free kick but got a bit under it and it hit the top of the cross bar. He had some good interceptions and played good defensively. I was a bit surprised that he played the advanced, box-to-box MF with Gravenberch holding in the first half. Alvarez was a bit further back in the second half. Good shift today!!!

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

10. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Orange14 repped this.
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope this performance sees him get more playing time!!!

El Pipiripau repped this.
  12. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Doubt it, Manager doesn't like him for personal issues.

13. Ajax with luck beat Feyenoord without him, but deserved to lose as we were better.
    Ajax with him contained AZ, which has better team than Feyenoord, especially their midfield.
    Gravenberch in their midfield with him was able to show his qualities far more effective than against Feyenoord.
    So ten Hag has something to think about.

Saldgotti1991 repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Alvarez came on for the final 20 minutes to add some steel on defense. He put in a good shift and was very fortunate to escape injury on a nasty Red Card challenge in the penalty box by the Fortuna Sittard striker. It was originally a YC but VAR requested a review and match official Higler issued a RC.

15. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Orange14 and DGreat repped this.
  16. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Alvarez needs to leave. He plays well if he gets a chance, coach just doesn’t rate him. Hopefully Valencia get him on loan.

17. No chance with a congested schedule with EL matches/Eredivisiematches, with almost 2 matches a week.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Doubtful that he leaves and I do think that ten Hag has faith in him. Ajax are playing twice a week and have seven matches in February. The players cannot keep this up.

19. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    20 mins a match isn’t faith.

LGRod repped this.
  20. You don't believe in quality time with family/friends/..?;)

LGRod and Saldgotti1991 repped this.
  21. Selas66

Selas66 New Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jan 25, 2021
    Dutch soccer is progressing strongly

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Personally, I think he warrants more playing time. Ajax invested a lot of money in him and want to recover that money. Valencia are in no position to purchase him and that's why I think he stays with Ajax. I do think he sees more playing time. The Dutch supporters on an Ajax website I read have changed their opinions of him now and want to see more playing time. Weird as they were super critical at the beginning of the season.

LGRod and Saldgotti1991 repped this.
  23. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't think Álvarez is attack-minded enough for Ten Haag.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What is interesting is that he is one of the more dangerous players on corner kicks. When he gets into the box he seems to find openings in the same way that Tagliafico, who is much shorter does. The problem is that Ajax did not do their scouting well enough and we were led to believe that he was being recruited as a central defender when he was for the most part a defensive MF (at least that is my understanding of where he played for his club). They bought a very good player who just doesn't quite fit into the system the team wants to play. It's not the first time this has happened (they spent about as much for the Romanian MF Rasvaz Marin last year and he was sold on this past summer).

We'll see how the second half of the season goes.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  25. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Álvarez played both positions reasonably well (and even has a little bit of experience at fullback) so I'm surprised he hasn't been used more.