Jorge Sánchez @ AFC Ajax

Discussion in 'Mexicans Abroad' started by Y tu mama tambien, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Kaney, beat junky and Blue_Demon repped this.
  2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought he had a good 45 minutes. Came in as a MF and then moved back to Central Defense when Schuurs was subbed off. He had two really fine cross field passes that were right on the money to the left winger. He had a couple of good interventions as well. I think he will start in the Cup match this coming Wednesday against Utrecht but I don't know which position. I suspect there will be some players rested but you can never tell what ETH is thinking. Two more league matches before the holiday break.

LGRod and DGreat repped this.
  3. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    He plays well, but he’s not a major asset when attacking, definitely an asset when defending. Hopefully he leaves this January window to a team that can fit him in their starting line up.

4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he stays the season at Ajax as he can play multiple positions. I have always been unconvinced by Klaassen and think Alvarez is a better choice but it's just taking him a longer period of time to settle in. Given all the injuries and the latest situation, Ajax are not likely to let any players leave in January.

LGRod repped this.
  6. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Personally, I don't think there is much of a comparison between Klaassen and Alvarez. They're just different players where Edson's strengths are on the defensive side.

If Ajax expects him to play that very unique role of being a defensive midfielder that constantly becomes the offensive fulcrum from the back then I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Saldgotti1991 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Alvarez played the first 73 minutes at DM and did very well in the cup match. I honestly don't know why he was subbed off when Klaassen was running on empty and I would have left him on. He had one good attacking header but couldn't get over the ball so it sailed over the bar. Several key interventions and better passing today. There are a lot of tired MFs on Ajax right now and I think he will get playing time in the last two league matches of this year.

8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    LGRod and JJV1994 repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The major Amsterdam paper reports today that Valencia wants to take on Alvarez on loan with an option to purchase. I didn't know that Alvarez is angry at Ajax for not doing more to allow his girlfriend and child to join them in Holland. We'll see how this plays out but I now think he will be leaving.

Here is the article in Dutch: https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/articl...valencia-wil-alvarez-huren-met-optie-tot-koop

superm, Blue_Demon and Ron Mexico repped this.
  10. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So personal issues... well if he goes to Valencia, hopefully they support him in all facets of his career.

11. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    It must be tough for Edson to have to deal with being away from his family but maybe our resident Dutch nationals can expand on that a bit. What could Ajax have done, realistically?

LGRod and El Pipiripau repped this.
  12. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe Alvarez isn’t married, that’s why. Chucky had no issues, but he was married.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only issue that I foresee is that Valencia as with many other Spanish teams have no money to spend and I'm not sure they can guarantee Ajax they would have funds to purchase the player at the end of the season.

LGRod and blue4211 repped this.
  14. Blue_Demon

Blue_Demon Member+

Aug 20, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    On the bench vs. ADO Den Haag.
    [​IMG]

15. blue4211

blue4211 Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Valencia is a team with an owner that doesn't have money or doesn't want to invest in the team. Also, it has an unfinished stadium that they can't afford to finish, but it is a huge club in Spain. So they definitely can't afford the 15 million to buy him but if they can get him on loan and give him playing time that would be great.
    Edson needs to play more, Ajax seems to want a more offensive MF, can Edson do that? What does Edson need to do to get more playing time? If he will get more playing time then he should stay but if he won't get playing time he needs to go somewhere where he will because I don't thin he's played enough in the year 2020.

16. Ajax has told Edson he cannot go to Valencia.

Kaney repped this.
  17. ShockMaster

ShockMaster Member

Oct 26, 2013
    IN THA 6
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Kyrgyzstan
    Money is probably the issue, Valencia’s situation looks bleaker everyday

Kaney repped this.
  18. No. Ten Hag has told the board he doesnot want to lose players this window.

Kaney and LGRod repped this.
  19. Saldgotti1991

Saldgotti1991 Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well then play him...

Kaney repped this.
  20. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    Seamos sinceros.

A Edson le está quedando grande la camiseta del Ajax.

Alvarez es un buen jugador pero es muy lento físicamente, y técnicamente no es muy bueno para ser contención, de acuerdo con los parámetros del fútbol europeo moderno.

21. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    Es la realidad, y yo soy mucho de apoyar a nuestros jugadores, pero a Edson le ha pesado la camiseta.

22. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Lettuce be real....Alvarez has been a disappointment abroad considering what we all were expecting of him.

Duse has had very limited playing time.

Special_talent23 repped this.
  23. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I disagree, I think he’s fine and will be fine. I’m extremely confident he will making his mark soon enough. He needs to leave I think, though I think he’ll have his moments this year.

cesarmontes11 and Kaney repped this.
  24. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    But that’s not what I’m saying...my point is he’s got all the physical tools to succeed but has yet to break through.

I still believe in him but it’s been a disappointment.

El Pipiripau repped this.