Editorial on Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FigoB1, Feb 11, 2003.

1. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
    Interesting. As I watched the game, I was thinking a lot of the same things. He's got to keep his composure...

www.onthesidelines.org

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he lost it. If you get hammered too much, a controlled reaction is OK. I think he got the ref's attention without getting a card for dissent or retaliation.

If you're too passive when hammered, it shows the other team and the ref that it's OK to do so. A little reaction without retaliation asks the ref to call a closer game. A reaction followed by retaliation is a quick way to get a red or a yellow. The asking the ref for a card is a good way to get one - depends on the ref.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    What were the negative implications to his team for his "loss of composure?" Yellow card - no. Reduced effectiveness in his play - no.

It's a different kind of leadership that shows fire from time to time, and it's a kind of leadership the US team has rarely had. I have actually wanted Landon to show more passion and less referee-complaining over the last year or so, and I think he took a major step in that direction in this game.

4. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I think we should differentiate between his A) yapping, which was bad and his B) mixing it up/ playing hard through the end of the play/etc. There was one occasion on the left touchline when an Argentine was shielding the ball waiting for it to get out of bounds and just as the whistle was blown, the new and improved Landon shoulder charged the dude.

Personally, I think it is important for US forwards to get with the program and get used to playing with contact. How many times do you think the little fish dished out a little mustard to get a defender of his game and make him overcommit later in the game? I don't like to see cheap shots, but I think that Landon is better off throwing his improved physique around early in his career, rather than learning the hard way lesson from a Jens Jeremies when it really counts. It sure beats the cheap shots that the otherwise respectable Dennis Bergkamp likes to unload on people with.

Obviously there is a healthy balance, but there is no reason why Landon shouldn't be as physical as the next guy.

I agree he should keep his mouth shut though. If the issue is about earning respect, than opening his mouth is not going to make it happen. I was happy to see that on his long burst down the left side, he was actually fouled three times before he went down. It wasn't like he was on pins and needles looking to dive as soon as he could get away with it.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    People are so overreacting to Donovan's behavior that I'm astounded. The kid didn't get carded and seldom does, didn't commit any blatant retaliatory fouls and rarely commits fouls in general. What is all the talk about? Is he supposed to never foul or touch an opposing player and smile cheerfully when he gets hacked, skipping off with a song on his lips? Do any of you ever watch soccer in leagues like Germany or Italy?

The game gets a little intense out there at this level. It's not rec league anymore. Physical play only becomes a problem when free kicks add up too much or cards get you off the field, anything else is fair game. Complaining is only a problem when you get carded for it. Falling down when fouled is not only perfectly legal, but the only smart thing to do.

And, somebody needs to remind the author that maybe he thought Donovan was the captain, but the rest of the team probably realized it was Mathis, what with the arm band and all. Just because Donovan's a key player, it doesn't make him the captain.

6. cheriffe

cheriffe New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    southern ohio
    Have Faith!!!! Bruce will set him straight. There is a need for a balance between both being a bit aggressive and protective but also knowing when to keep his cool. I am sure this will be a subject that Bruce will take up with him at some point. The article is very correct that he will lead our team for years to come.

7. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    I agree with you Nobody. Donovan's behavior has been blown so out of proportion that I think all the talk has more to do with people needing something to whine about rather than there being something to really be concerned about. The piece above is a bit twisted. How did the author come to the conclusion that Landon was the "de facto leader"? If he was meant to lead he would have had the arm band. The No. 10 does not mean the leadership role comes with the number. Clint was captain and if anyone was next in line to be a leader in that lineup it was Mastroeni. Donovan is still a 20 year old and the combination of poor service from midfield and hard marking from Argentina frustrated him. I'd rather see some fire from him at that point than see him wilt like a lilly. People act as if Landon's in line to be captain in 2006. He won't be.

8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Landon is a leader of this team. Being arguably the best field player in certain matches, being the designated playmaker, wearing the No. 10 - all of these things bring leadership responsibilities with them.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know how to e-mail this guy? what's the address, because I think he's too harsh and he's off base. I reviewed the tape again today, and when Donovan reacted to the first foul, it really wasn't the first foul - he'd been hammered before. besides it was not an inappropriate reaction. again, he's not going to lose it in a WC game - he's very composed. our guys need to fight back and I thought he did a good job sticking up for himself and others. he wasn't the captain, but our captain pretty much wasn't doing anything. I like to see Donovan get more physical. he knows how far to push it. was he carded? no.

As for the chest charge after that foul on the 60 yard run - kind of reminds me of what Reyna did during world cup, believe it was against Mexico (can't remember, have to review the tape again) but the foul was on somebody else, and Reyna comes into view and "bumps" the other player as he's going by. bout time he does stuff like that. Also, in the Germany game, have you seen Berhalter's headlock on the German after the noncall on the goal handball. players at the international level have to play physical.

10. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Question

Why is opinion running about 70% against Donovan for yapping, yet when Mathis got red carded last year (vs. whom, I can't remember) for throwing an elbow, about half the posters defended him?

Donovan didn't hurt the team. Mathis did. Very large difference.

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Question

If you re-read the posts, 80% of the posters disagreed with the article.

Absolutely AGREE!

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    So much of what goes on out there is a game within a game.

LD's going to get hammered. He has to object to it at key points in the game to keep the ref on his toes. He can never get SO pissed off at it that it detracts from the business at hand. At the same time he has to let the other guy know that he isn't SOOO focused on his game that he will simply tolerate any abuse.

It's a fine line, and a pro learns how to walk it.

To me the most effective way to deal with this is to be demonstrative when it counts...but WHISPER in your abusers ear:

"Next you hit me like that, I am going to rip your scrotum off."

14. eagleterp

eagleterp New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    washington, dc
    i'm with nobody, i don't see what the big deal is. i don't think landon was thrown off his game because of physical play or because he was yapping at the ref. he had a bad game because the midfield played terrible all game and the argentines defended well. i didn't see any point in the run of play where donovan's focus seemed to be off. if he'd stopped running or started to dive and look for calls then maybe, but he spoke to the ref after a whistle. players do it all the time. the commentators (was it ty?) were getting on his case too which was ludicrous (and probably the reason the article was written the way it was)

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one think Donovan has a GREAT future ahead of him... He is a great player but is held back by playing in MLS... MLS has helped him but if I were him I by now would have asked to be loan to a team in Europe until getting called back.

On another note and more to the point I think Donovan wanted to prove something in the Argentina game and wanted to show that he also can be a D' Alessandro and a Riquleme ect... But no one knows how to mark up talent better than Bielsa, and Argentina totally took him out of the game... Something to prove turned into frustration and he lashed out.. He's 20, Bruce has probably gone over w/ him what he did wrong, now on to Jamica...