Eddie Lewis' Farewell Interview

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Leedsunited, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    From the matchday programme: Leeds United 1-0 Luton Town:

TOUGH AS NAILS

Eddie Lewis departed the club following the Southend game, joining Derby for an undisclosed fee-and immediately paid tribute to his "tough as nails" former teammates.

The Californian has signed a two year deal with the Premierships basement boys, and along with the lure of a second crack at top flight football, Eddie is also hoping the move will prolong his international career.

Eddie, who made his Rams debut against Birmingham last weekend, made 96 appearances at Elland Road, following his free transfer from Preston in Summer 2005. The 33 year old was voted Player of the Year online at www.leedsunited.com and Leeds, Leeds, Leeds readers last season.

Following his departure Eddie reflected on his time at Elland Road: "I really enjoyed myself at Leeds, and I felt very close to the club. In a lot of ways I feel bad about everything that was going on. I just wanted to put things right.
    It looks like the club are turning the corner. Im happy they have started well and hopefully it goes well for them for the rest of the season. To be fair I thought the players did an incredible job after being hit with the points deduction. Everyone had every reason in the world to be negative, but they were tremendous"

Dennis Wise immediately sought to sign a replacement, following Eddies departure, bringing in Jamie Clapham on loan from Wolves until September 30th. (follows interview with JC)

Meanwhile Eddie Lewis echoes Jamies view of team spirit at Leeds by recalling pre-season.
    "There were six or seven guys playing for us without a contract, letting other clubs go by and hoping that everything would be sorted at Leeds and they would be looked after
    It says a lot about the group. They're as tough as nails now. With everything that has been thrown at them, nothing can faze them now. I certainly think being there, in that environment at Leeds, is good for players. The fans are the best and it is incredibly demanding"

All the best Eddie. I'd like to say we are missing you, but four wins out of four, against the better teams in this division, and I think we have signed a better replacement in midfield in Andy Hughes, so I hope that his international dream comes off for him.:)

2. Becks and Galaxy

Becks and Galaxy New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think his international career is done, but it's too bad he wouldn't come and play for the Galaxy. He's better than 90% of the roster right now, even at 33.

I think as the Galaxy try to improve the talent on the roster, they should look at guys like Eddie Lewis. 30 to 33 years old, that have two or three years left. It could put us on top and keep us going while we bring in some young guys who get ready.

Eddie Lewis and all he's done, one of the better US born players to play the game.

3. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    APOLOGY:

Should have posted this thread in 'Yanks Abroad', and I only realised I hadn't just now. Could the mods move it? Thanks!