eddie johnson

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by scottdavidolson, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sorry, I am not very funny. Yes, I was absolutely agreeing with you! I was trying to make the point that facts (such as all the one you stated) dicates business operations, not random speculation.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Chances are that Eddie won't be in a "unique" position. He is not a Carlos Tevez type who has G-14 clubs drooling over him.

There are probably half a dozen of African forwards with similar abilities and a similar price tag, so unless Eddie sets the Hex on fire, most clubs will wait it out.

Compare this to the annual NFL Draft. There are only so many "must-have" players each year and it's usually for teams with the greatest need at a particular spot. Otherwise, most teams wait out for prospects to fall to their selection or, at the very worst, make a minor trade.

The blockbuster offers, such as Ricky Williams's or Eli Manning's, are reserved for the superstars and right now Eddie ain't it.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think that should be his price a few years from now. I think MLS undersold Beaser because he's the first, and I also think EJ will be valued more because he's a striker.

Eddie Johnson is EXTREMELY talented. just raw. Eto'o is better than he is no doubt. But he's developed earlier.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    someone needs to take a business class. you included for believing whatever comes out of that dude's mouth

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    No, they won't be paying him that money in 07 and 08, but THEY WILL in 05 and 06. You don't know for sure if thats the case with the DMB situation. I dont know how much more DMB would have gone for, but I can't imagine it would have been THAT significant. Again, if there are several clubs interested, MLS will get several offers. Yes, there is a chance that some offers will be less due to time left. But selling him with an option year left should net them PLENTY of transfer $$$. Clubs don't want to wait a year.....6 months they can do....but not a year....particularly if other clubs have expressed interest or made offers. And you've conveniently ignored my point about Dallas's salary cap issues.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You don't need to have G-14's drooling over you to warrant a decent transfer fee. We are talking around $2 million US....and if the dollar continues to fall against the Euro that will be easier and easier to get. E1.5 million for a 20 year old, fast as lightning striker who is a regular contributer to a top 10 FIFA ranked national team??? The line starts here and goes back a while.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To extend the contract.

Suppose MLS signs him for 2 MORE years, at a substantial pay raise, but with a reasonable min. release clause...say, $3M. Eddie gets more money, and a guarantee that if a good offer comes in, he can go to Europe and make millions. MLS is "betting" that they can sell EJ for more money than they'll be increasing his pay.

This happens ALL the time in sports...teams extend a player's contract to keep him, even if the player has time left on his current contract. Let's face it, MLS has more leverage offering this kind of deal now than they will when Eddie is a couple of months from being a free agent.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Please. I make more real-world business decisions before I get into the office at 7 am every morning than you make in a year of Admin 101.

Sachin

9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Ok, let's settle down, people.

Even you, Sachy.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry, but your argument is ringing more and more hollow. let's do this again. one, he ALREADY HAS a contract through 05 and 06. Therefore, they have already budgeted paying him for those years. so paying him money that they always intended to pay him cannot be seen as a loss. adding 2 years to a contract that they dont intend on having him (07 and 08) just gives them leverage in how much they can ask for in transfer. Two, apparently you are the only person on these boards who honestly believes or doesn't understand that you get more in transfer fee when there are more years that need to essentially be bought out. simply put, 2 years is more than one, and 3 years is more than 2. obviously, at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns, but clearly one gets more money from the sale of a player with 2 or 3 years left than you do with a player who has only 1 year left. If you dont understand that simple reality, there is no point in even discussing this with each other. Simply look at how the business of transfers are done, and you will see that there is a MAJOR difference between having 1 or 2 years left. Lastly, I ignored your 3rd point because it has no merit. but since you want me to address it, I will. let me make this very simple for you ........... 1) Dallas is not the only team in the league. 2) Dallas doesn't sign players. MLS does. 3) If Dallas doesn't want to keep EJ because he is too much for their salary cap, there are probably now 11 other teams in the league who would gladly take them on their rolls. For example, Earnie Stewart is now making 350K or so. He will be gone. If we could get EJ for the 300K ......... yeah, you guessed it. Do you get my drift? So whether or not Dallas has cap room is totally irrelevant as to whether MLS signs him. If Dallas were stupid enough not to want to keep him on their rolls, I'm sure EJ wouldn't mind torching them for a year or two for being so dumb.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    well said. MLS needs to wait this one out. EJ is still under his original contract. Whether or not he wants out MLS needs to cash in. Thats best done by not lettin ghim transfer for at least another season while picking up the option for 06

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Wait a minute, I didn't know EJ had a moron for an agent!! Are you freakin' kidding me?? You think he is going to sign a 2 year extension without having them rip up the 05 and 06 contract first?? THERE IS NO WAY HE SIGNS AN EXTENSION WITHOUT UPPING THE NEXT TWO YEARS SIGNIFICANTLY. At first you sounded like someone that understood basic sports management, I guess I was wrong. They didn't budget a 350% increase in salary for the next two years, did they??

I think you are vastly overestimating what this is worth, perhaps I am wrong, but I really don't think so. Again, MLS got a VERY decent price for DMB with less then a year to go on his contract. Why? Because there were several interested teams and no one wanted to lose out on a young and promising player waiting for him to be available on a free. IF EJ lives up to expectations and has a great 05 and is a part of next year's Hex Qualies the same will be true for him...and he will have a full year left on his contract.

And you honestly think the league will pull one of the few popular players that Dallas has in their first year in a new stadium with a new brand to sell?? Or no, you think they will force Dallas to cut Ronnie O'Brien to make room for EJ's now bloated salary. Or no, you think they will allow Dallas to remain the doormat of the league and allow the millions they invested in a new stadium to be lost to continued dwindling attendance. All good options....I'm sure MLS is right there with you.

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I agree, they will pick up the option for both 05 and 06...that's not what we are discussing though. We are talking about them extending his contract beyond 06.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    they have an option on extending Eddie's contract in both 06 and 07. Its part of his ORIGINAL contract. If they don't pick up the option then Eddie walks in at the end of 05.

at least this is what I think is true from an article I read

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't think that would be a smart of EJ or MLS. at that point, he won't need MLS protection because he'll be good enough to get picked up by a decent club, and if he signs the extension and doesn't get transfered in the first year of the extension he ends up in the DMB situation and MLS will be forced to field low-ball offers.

MLS should pick up the options for 06 and 07 and then sell him at the end of 05. To get maximum transfer money out of him

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I think you are wrong....based on what was written on 3rdDegree.com the option years are 05 and 06. Here....this is just one of the many mentions of the deal on 3rddegree.com:

It's also time to draft a young forward. MLS has two option years on Johnson, which could keep him around until end of 06. Except Eddie will could be coming out of the World Cup midway though 06 and if you let him stay till the end of the season then he will probably be gone to Europe for no transfer fee. What that means is that some time in 06 Johnson will be sold.

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh Tex, I tried to warn you with humor. The YA mode of operation for future MLS transfers to Europe is based soley on poster's very own crytal balls and logic.

If MLS has a two year option, they will take it. If they do not, expect him to try, probably unsucessfully to join a big team and probably end up joining a small team.

The perfect example of why future speculation of transfers is not productive is Clint Mathis! At one point he was worth X transfer value and MLS kept him (along with several BS posters) under the assumption that he would make x+1 after the WC. Well it came back to bite everyone in the ass. He instead had to go begging for a Euro club and is now in danger of not playing another club game until he or his coach leaves.

My point is; the future of a players transfer value is about as long as his last played game. Markets and tastes for players change as does the quality of the respective player.
    Making a bold statement like he will be worth X in 2 years and X+1 after the WC is pure speculation and therefore should be treated accordingly.

18. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    Holy crap would you do your homework...

His option years are 2005 and 2006. 07 is irellevant. If the League DOES try and extend his contract right now, as was stated before by someone with a little common sense, both his 2005 and 2006 salary would be upped like Oprah's weight at a buffet. That's common business practice.

My personal thoughts... I definitely think Eddie Johnson will be playing in MLS next year. No questions asked. With a final year left on his option, I'm not sure what he'll do. It's really dependent on how he performs next season and more importantly, how the hexagon goes. (A GWG against Mexico wouldn't hurt his chances getting signed abroad...)

All a lot of REALLY empty speculation until we see how next year plays out.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In two years if he continues progressing and producing in MLS and with the National team he'll be worth $5 mil... but not till then.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In two years, he'll be out of contract and worthless to MLS.

The league is in a real tough spot on this one unless EJ lets them off the hook and re-signs, which I think is doubtful.

Basically, they have to hope he has a great 2005 for both club and country and that interest in him soars and the can sell him in January of 06. But, if he only has a good year and not a great one, they'll have to take what they can get for him - nowhere near 5 mill - because if they turn it down and wait, they'll get nothing.

They could try and wait till after the WC and sell him summer 06, but with that being six months till he's on a free, the transfer offers won't be as high because teams know they can have him for nothing if they wait a few months. So, unless there are multiple teams bidding for him in summer 06, the offers for him then aren't going to be that high. And, how many teams are going to get into a bidding war for a player who is just a few months shy of being on a free?

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The key here is, as George Costanza said, "negotiating".

Eddie's price has gone up since his hat-trick quite a bit, probably to the point where lower tier Euro leagues could throw a few hundred grand his way. If so, that determines his "market wage".

This means that MLS would have to rip up his contract and offer him more than a nominal raise that's likely to be in his option. He was making $85K per year and the option would/should bring him around $100K annually. That is, with the recent developments, far below what he might be able to get in Europe at this very moment.

Consequently, MLS would be faced with the following dilemma - it could resign him for ~ $250-300K x 3, which would mean in effect a ~ $500K raise off his currently existing contract or it could stick to the current option and sell him off after 1/2 or 1 season.

IMO, it should choose the former option since it's the one that should bring the greatest transfer fees that will cover the immediate expense.

However, it all could change with another great game by Eddie. If he clearly looks a better player on the pitch than a $1.5M/Year forward like Brian McBride, then he will have quite a few suitors for his services and MLS just might be forced to transfer him ASAP.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    He called you the sexiest man alive. And infallible.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Let it slide.

No sense rehashing that.....AGAIN!

24. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Why is it every person who disagrees with you ends up on your ignore list?

Then again it is doubtful you can read this because I am probably on that list too.

25. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    This must be your first day in the YA forum.