Eddie Johnson training w/Man U. this winter...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 6, 2004.

1. socksgov

socksgov New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    california
    he should go to europe soon maybe to one of the lower leagues for a year or two then go to one of the top three

2. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    This is just to train but Man Utd would be a good place for him to go. For one he will be training with World Class players and pick up how they tran and go about their buisness. Second with Tim Howard Spector and Rossi there he will not have a hard time fitting in.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Makes zero sense.

4. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So your saying being around fellow Americans while training in Europe wont help him adjust?

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Good move...his contract is up after next season, right? So if he does well it could be a situation where United could buy him and then send him to a team in Belgium or Portugal until he has enough caps to qualify for a Work Permit. Even if things don't work out at United, it would really put him on the radar for some other clubs.

6. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't he train there a few years ago??

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American + American = Friends :rolleyes:

8. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me thinks his time in MLS is done.

9. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Liverpool needs a striker, don't they? Sign him up!!

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Has it actually been confirmed that he is going for a training period with Man Utd?

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Supposedly, this is something he does every off-season. But before somebody gets excited, please remember that MLS still holds two option years on his contract. And Eddie does not presently qualify for a UK work permit.

12. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I think both he and Quaranta were going to go train, but it fell through.

13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Man Utd. They'll make him qualify.

And by MLS season 2005 he'll likely have a few more caps to his name.

Also, its not beyond SAF to buy a player and loan them out until they get the caps.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, he has to have a WP for the transfer to happen. The transfer is contingent upon the WP.

15. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many caps would he need to get the WP?

(I'm rather assuming he gets about six or seven straight caps during the Hex.)

16. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when? Man Utd snapped up that Chinese youngster, Dong Fangzhou or something, and sent him off to Antwerp.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He has played in 2 out of 8 internationals in 04 and needs to get into 75% of the games over the course of two years to be guaranteed his England WP.

He however can be also given work permit if his manager "vouches" for him without achieving the 75% stipulation.

The key in Convey's initial failure to secure WP was that Hoddle didn't want to vouch for him as a starting quality player. In retrospect, Glenn was correct.

I think if EJ gets into 10 out of last 14-16 USMNT games and does well, he has a good chance to be approved by the "review panel", if his perspective coach gives him thumbs-up.

FWIW, I think Holland is as good a first move as any for an up-n-coming Yank because a young player can actually work on his skills there instead of conditioning as is the norm in England or Germany.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Antwerp was relegated (with Alex Yi) to the 2nd Div.

19. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, indeed. But I don't think that changes anything.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. Well, it may be true in much the same way that if I guess that Babe Ruth hit .327 in 1923 might be true. But nobody knows what happened during the appeal. Just like I made a reasonable guess as to the Babe's batting average, you've made a reasonable guess wrt Convey.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    .393 :)

22. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I believe it's pretty common for MLS players to train with overseas clubs during the winter, isn't it? I remember in years past reading of players off to Germany, England, Mexico. Except for this being MAN U isn't this pretty common? If so, we should have a general thread going with trianing locations for other players for this winter...

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I agree.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Man U would seem a tad ambitious. On the other hand, EJ's ceiling is about as high as it ceilings get.

Personally, I'd like to see him follow the time-honored Dutch plan, a la Beasley. One more year in MLS, then off to a Dutch (or maybe Belgian?) team for some butt kicking, then with success onto the really big time circa 2007/2008, when Eddie will be about 23/24.

Yeah, that would work.