Eddie Johnson back at Fulham--guess who got some PT?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by pavlovscat567, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would think so but they have four strikers and two of them are injury prone. EJ needs to get out and try to establish himself with another team where ever he can get a start and/or plenty of pt. He has improved and he can keep on pushing his improvements by playing.

2. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't his contract with Fulham finished after this season? I think Aris will consider signing him in the summer. He did well last season and he was fitting in well with the team.

Some greek sites are saying that they still think about getting him on loan from now, but he is not the first priority. We will probably sign Edu(the brazilian), he is the first choice at the moment.

3. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding QPR, their striker Jamie Mackie broke his leg in two places yesterday (and then El-Hadji Diouf taunted him as he rolled around in agony :rolleyes: what a dick) and I'm assuming will be out for the season. Maybe they might go looking for some additional cover :confused:

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to transitive law, EJ will be there in no time :cool:

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just surprised there aren't more rumors/reports linking EJ with QPR again. I would think previous interest + lack of scoring + injured striker = renewed interest.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I find Johnson highly overrated. The guy has a decent scoring record in the mls years ago. From what I have seen, I dont think he'd even start in the Championship.

7. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you watch him at Aris?

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The greek league is hardly a league to prove a point in.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Still better then MLS, and maybe a tad' bit lower level then Mexico.

IMO EJ is a player that thrives in a league where defenders give you some space, Greece is a perfect fit as it showed when he was there. His physicality and speed worked well there, where as in England it isnt anything special.

Also the league brought out a side of his game I've never seen, his ability to work well in a touch and go style which aris played, similar to barcelona or Villarreal.

10. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, are you serious?

11. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yes, the Greek league is not a top league in europe, especially if you're not playing on one of the two teams that dominate that league.

12. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, but Greece is 10th in the coefficient and EJ played against those top teams. He played well his whole time there. You really think the Championship is so much better that Eddie playing well and scoring goals in a first division means absolutely nothing towards playing in the second division in England?

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The US isnt at the level where they can look over EJ because he would be playing in greece. Talk down about the greke league, but its very very good. The play, some of the better teams would do damage in south america. Reminds me of a mix between argentina and Mexico.

Its still better then MLS, and if EJ is scoring regularly in greece if he indeed ends up back at Aris, the NT would probably have to take a look at him.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was right up there with Gomez and Buddle before the World Cup. His hamstring injury literally came at the worst possible time. There is no telling what scoring a goal in the World Cup could have done for his confidence.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I really feel under bob bradley though he had no shot of playing well. He worked well and best with a team that plays the ball on thr ground, with guys who are confident passing it around and giving him chances to beat defenders on the run or wtih his headers on pin point crosses. He had that at Aris, for the USMNT its different.

But scoring goals and confidence would help, I remember he came back semi' hurt and didnt look good trying to impress bob vs. Czech rep. I think and the other sparring partner we had lined up to test our boys before the cut was made...

16. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. First, from what I remember, Johnson scored a lot of goals in MLS by getting sprung by a pass and outrunning the defense. That's just a lot harder to do at the international level because the defenses are smarter and the defenders are (often) faster. So nobody scores a lot of goals that way at the international level; it's not really about the way the US plays under Bradley.

Second, I think Johnson does much of the same stuff well that Findley does well (i.e., run fast, pressure defenders, and make the occasional useful run). And I suspect that when he's not nursing a thigh injury, he can do that stuff at least as well as Findley. It's far from a certainty that Bradley would've taken a fully fit Johnson over Findley, but I think it's a real possibility. (In part because I think Johnson has a better first touch than Findley, at least from what little I've seen from him over the past couple years.)

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    agree somewhat with bolivian. ej's game has evolved over the years. he tends to look to play the combination nowadays rather than stretch a backline looking to get sprung.

different sort of player to and more skilled than findley.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Eddie was a "small/supporting striker" like Findley or Donovan but has been used largely as a target striker by Fulham and Aris.

Meaning that, in MLS, he had others provide him with service in MLS while his role almost entirely changed in the EPL.

So, he went from being a pale imitation of Owen to being a pale imitation of Heskey... as it were.

19. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Greek league might not be the best but it's still the 10th like akjayback said, it's not that bad. Aris is also a better team than QPR or any other Championship team, many of the EPL teams as well. We proved that when we play in Europe.

The Greek league is also a league that it's actually quite hard to score in, most of the teams play very defensively. Specially against Aris.

And he played well overall, it was not just the goals that he scored. He helped to pressure high(something that Aris does alot) and he helped with the build up too, at the same time he took smart runs. He scored hustle goals, he scored with the head, he scored in many different ways.

Maybe he is not the most talented player, but he did great during his time at Aris. I think the team got the most out of him, he was fitting in very well.

On top of that he is great person(from what I've heard) and he enjoyed playing for Aris.

20. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea.... who knows.

Johnson has surprisingly good vision, and knows how to work well on build up play with players around him who are good with the ball. I was shocked cause I always thought he was just soccer dumb. But he isnt. Far from it.

But I dont see him playing for our NT ever again... unless he finds his old goalscoring ways like hwen he was linked to Benfica. He can still score, but with that ferociousness(sp) and regularity? I dont think he can do that anymore...

21. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think he needs to find that GAM swagger back and improve upon it. If he gets his goal i think he will be a bit more consistent with scoring hell look at Rooney he can't even score a goal like he did last year. Well are there any news/rumors about a loan move for EJ?

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How much would EJ have to drop his wages were he to join a team in the Championship or Greece or Turkey? What would he use to market himself? His loan for Aris?

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How much is he earning at Fulham yearly? IMO at Aris he'd get mid to high 400K euro, to mid 500k euro yearly. Buuuuut given how they got some money now..... maybe 600ish if his agent pushes hard?

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I read he was on 20,000 british pounds a week. Or at least when he signed 3 years ago. What's the exchange rate to euros?