Eddie Johnson back at Fulham--guess who got some PT?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by pavlovscat567, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I really hope EJ goes back to greece. His style is perfect for theirs in Greece.

It isnt quite as physical or demaning as England, and is setup for a slower but more techincal game, which is perfect for him, and for his physical gifts to really be exploited.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Triball Football probably go the info from the BS and the posted Tzonzon headline.

3. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ got 17 minutes this weekend and played well. He had a nice, powerful shot that was well saved and otherwise, IMO, showed himself more of a threat than Kamara (Skysports rated him higher as well).

With the continued injury woes of Dembele and AJ, I could see EJ getting more PT.

Also, I don't see EJ going *anywhere* in the winter until after Fulham brings in another starting striker and even then, it could be Kamara who goes instead.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Tie-loss-tie-loss sequence had them picking up three points from five matches and that's a relegation pace.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Such a shame EJ didn't score. So close as usual.

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still 5 more matches from that 10.

And my original point still stands. That stretch of 10 games isn't the murderers row you made it out to be. Frankly, with the injury problems Fulham has up top, they were going to be struggling whether they had a fixture list full or WH's or a fixture list full of Man City's.

7. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    After watching the chance again on a much better video source... we find out just how close it really was... Shame really..the guy just needs an inch of luck because it came off Roger Johnson's stud...

1. It was a great run and a lovely through ball by Kamara..
    2. Eddie struck it well and cleanly
    3. It was not heading toward the near post like we had all reported but if you look at the HQ video on the Fulham official website you will see the third replay around the 8:00 min mark that clearly shows the ball aimed and going toward the far post past Ben Fosters kicked out right leg...
    4. The ball was just touched by Roger Johnson not Foster in fact... you can even see Foster look back worrying that the ball slid past him...

Had Roger Johnson not gotten his toe on it.. it was going to beat Foster... UGH, someone cut this kid a break, he has worked so hard.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    video of the strike? Also, it is tough for EJ to score at Fulham because they are not the most offensive team. They always play for the draw even at home. You never see big score lines with fulham so their strikers get few opportunities

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The look on EJ's face after the play was pretty telling. The man wants to break the ice so bad.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There were at about a point-per-game pace then and they're off it now.

And those are relegation numbers.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xftoxn_goaltube-org-flm-brm_sport#from=embed

Match of the Day highlights.

11. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is very true. He should get his goal soon if he keeps it up. If he gets it might break the ice for him and he could do much better in the league.

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another decent substitute appearance by EJ. Kamara looked *really* bad...again, so I've got to think EJ will get some more looks before the transfer window.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, 5 points out of 21 available.

Just keeping track.

14. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January can't get here quickly enough. Hopefully, MAF will provide the funding to begin retooling the club.

15. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injuries to Dembele and Salcido really hurt. You may end up being correct in your prediction (or close enough), but the those injuries, especially the former, cost them about 6 points.

16. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still having a hard time understanding what point you think you're making with posts like this. Back before this 10 game stretch you asserted that the upcoming 10 games represented some kind of murderers row, an abnormally difficult stretch of matches. I (and some others, I think) disagreed. I still do. 6 of those teams are in the top half of the table currently, and 4 are in the bottom. A fairly standard stretch of matches in the PL.

Now if your original point was that Fulham were going to struggle because of their injury problems regardless of who they played (which I don't think is what you were saying), you've certainly been proven correct.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Why doesn't he spend more? He sold Harrod's for something like 1.5 billion pounds. Half went to paying off other debts.........but the man is still filthy, filthy rich. Has he lost interest in the club? I was hoping that after their run in Europe last season, they'd support the squad with some quality signings. But they've taken a step backwards........and it's not just because Hodgson left.

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They signed at least four players over the summer (Dembele, Salcido, 2 center backs), but Hughes didn't really have any time to work with before the window closed. What Hughes gets to spend in January will be telling, but its a more limited window regardless so that may limit the spend regardless.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think originally it was to show that, while being mediocre, Fulham was going to have a lot of problems staying mediocre with the schedule of games coming up in 2010 until the New Year.

I thought it was going to have a lot of problems earning points during this stretch and guess what ... I was proven right.

Well, you can disagree all you want but the tie-loss-tie-loss sequence will get your club relegated.

Except the sequence of where the games were played was always going to be tough.

They haven't had an inordinate amount of injuries since I brought up the upcoming schedule.

They're just not that good this season, given the fact that there are no Hull's or Derby's this season in the Prem and the predicted bottom dweller like Blackpool and West Brom have done far better than anticipated.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, they had the big one before you brought up the upcoming schedule (which fits in with the point I was making).

21. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losing their #2 forward in Dembele, after already losing Zamora was huge. How many teams in the league can afford to lose their top 2 forwards!?

AJ was always going to be the equivalent of a "free Winter transfer" with EJ and Kamara being designated back-ups to a Zamora/Dembele starting line. Both of them got injured leaving Fulham with two makeshift 2nd forwards in Dempsey and Gera, a "not good enough to start" Kamara and "not yet fully fit" Andy Johnson, backed up by "never scored in the league" Eddie Johnson.

On top of that, they lose Salcido to injury for the equivalent of three games (he played against ManCity before he was fully fit and it showed). While Baird can arguably match him defensively, he significantly aids in the offensive half.

So yeah, Dembele for most of that stretch, Salcido for three games, Baird for 2-3, and I think even Murphy for one (IIRC) counts, IMO, as an "inordinate amount of injuries."

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's incredible that EJ has gotten like 10-20mins in several matches this year. I really feel he's so close to scoring and once he does that, he'll go on a scoring run. Maybe not for Fulham but definitely for some club somewhere.

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One has to figure that eventually someone at that club would figure out how to put the ball in the back of the net.

No offense to Demps, but when he's leading the team in scoring there's a problem.

24. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't if he would go on run but I do think it will give that boost and make him realize he can score in the Premier League. He has come close and its just a matter of time that he does if he keeps getting playing time throughout this year.