News: Eddie Howe is our new head coach

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by el americano, Nov 9, 2021.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/newcastle-united-appoint-eddie-howe-as-head-coach/

With 10 matches to go before the January transfer window, Eddie will have to save us with the squad we have, and we're already 6 points from safety. He can't allow us to fall too far adrift, because he'll only have 17 matches with new players added to overcome the deficit. There is also the challenge of doing good business in the January window with fewer players available and with the spectre of relegation looming over players' decisions. It's a big task.

How big? It the longest start without a win in club history. The last four clubs to achieve this were relegated. The sports books are making us 1/1 to go down, and that's taking into account an expected January spend. It will not be easy, and every missed opportunity, such as the ending against Brighton, will pile on the pressure. It will not be for the feint of heart, and I hope Eddie is the man for the job.

2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sure looks the part in training. Very good on the back to basics routine. I expect they'll come out against Brentford with some semblance of teamwork. We'll have to see if he can push on from there, but for the beginning, knowing how to get limited players to play to their potential is exactly what we need. The extra week for preparation should be well used.

Howe in training

3. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Staying up is gonna be tough. I didn't entirely mind the one year foray into the fizzypop league where they dominated like mad. But the spectre of that will turn off the kind of players the January spending wants to attract.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Well, he certainly is adapting to the Newcastle way. Misses first game due to COVID