Eddie Gaven [R] DCU v Metro 9/28

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by voros, Sep 29, 2003.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Eddie Gaven [R] DCU v Metro 9/28

I'd go a step further and venture there's not a person on this entire board who understands whip.

2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Once he builds his body strength (I mean Mageee too), he'll be more dangerous by which he can hold ppl off and stay on his feet more... Look at Bobby Convey, he's not the strongest but he's been going to the gym.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i for one think that Gaven is a BEAST! I've seen him against DC a couple of games recently and I've seen him today. The guy is amazing with the ball at his feet and you can see him growing in his committment to playing a little Defense. He torched the United team with the ball at his feet in the 1-all draw in DC last week. he killed San Jose all day long today. the guy is not quite 17 years old, and people are complaining about his STRENGTH?? c'mon people. this guy is still nearly a child. Hell, this guy is ALREADY more dangerous than Convey ever has been, and people have been drooling over Convey for the last 4 years. By the time Gaven is 20 like Convey, MLS will be getting a FAT check for selling him over to England (and he WILL get the permit ....... LOL). He IS a good passer, and quite frankly, the team is generally more dangerous with him around than with Mathis. Metros fans should be rejoicing! (until DC gets Freddy next season) :)

4. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Gaven, when he's older, is going to be a lot more physically intimidating than Convey. Convey's 5-9. Gaven's 6-0 (at 16, mind you). Convey also weighs, I believe, 15 pounds more than Gaven.

I understand your comparison, and I agree that when Gaven builds some strength he'll be a lot more dangerous (though he did an impressive job holding with his ball skills alone), but Gaven's going to be a physical force on either the right wing or in the middle of the field.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are reading me the wrong way on this. No complaints at all with Gaven. Just observations that parts of his game are more advanced than others. Looked better in the air today, but still not great. He should improve in that area, I agree. Will fill out as well, but hopefully not TOO much. Isn't explosive fast, but pretty quick. Needs to make sure he retains his speed and quickness while adding upper body strength. I'm sure the Metrostars people are much more on top of this than I am, so I doubt it will be a problem.

But MAN has he learned some shake and bake with the ball at his feet.

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Eddie Gaven [R] DCU v Metro 9/28

I know is very dificult but keep in mind the facts but Bruce Arena was defeated by Honduras 3-0 on WCQ have an aberration with playing Jovan Kirovsky, a mediocre player, and did show too many weakness on Confederation cup, so I am not too far.....About Bradley and about 85% if not every coach on MLS does not fit the profile of a coach able to take MLS closer at least to the quality of the Mexican league, never mind scratch any of the euro leagues. if you can sleep good with this facts...sorry for our SOCCER

7. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eddie Gaven [R] DCU v Metro 9/28

Correction: the score was 3-2 for Honduras. Earnie scored 2 goals and missed a penalty.