Ecuatorianos en el exterior -part III

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by ecuafutbolfreak, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I like the alternative option of Brazil as a destination for players. I think there is less competition for starting places than in the top European leagues, however the quality of football is very high and very technical. I also think the cultural adaptation is easier.

2. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope you are joking..

3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I really don't see cultural adaptaions as a scapegoat reason not to emigrate to Europe...thousands of players go all over the world every year and they have no problems adapting. I'm not going to point fingers and judge saying that our players are "lazy" but maybe a little bit too comodos and thats a big weakness...If you're a footballer, you have to know that your job is the sport, and that it can and will take you anywhere, you have to be mentally ready and willing to adapt, and learn new cultures and assimiliate well into them so that your career can begin to make bigger strides. I just look at Africans that are subject to racial abuse all over Europe after leaving villages, or impovershed cities and find massive success with their teams, and if not massive, they still perform relatively well, and then I see an Ecua that has the same footballing gifts but can't adapt because he misses his family, or something else...we just gotta mature!!!!

4. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Everyone knows Brazilian and Argentinian football is the best in the Americas. I could care less about rivalries.

Cultural adaptation is not a myth - it's a fact. In the long-term players get over it, but in the short-term it's something they have to deal with. The problem is, depending on the particular player's situation, the team may not have the patience to deal with the time it takes for a player to become fully acclimated to the language, climate, playing style, etc.

Valencia is a great example - Villarreal loaned him out to Recreativo Huelva, then to Wigan because he wasn't ready in their view. Now he's a stud. Everyone knows Valencia is a quality player, but if Wigan didn't spot him, who knows, he could have been playing for El Nacional again and waiting for another opportunity abroad.

5. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Manolo, you're absolutely right on every point you put out there but in Valencia's case, although he didn't adapt to the style of game play, he showed a tremendous amount of maturity for his young age and worked hard in their tour of China, and in practices with little negativism about adapting to life in another country. My point more relates to a relative naivete that I feel Ecua ballers have going abroad, not all of them of course and sometimes they're scared back to Ecuador.

6. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rivalries? do you actually think Argentina and Brazil are a better option and opportunity for ecua footballers? Kids down there are trying to get out and they don't f.vck around. Bolanos is not good eneough for europe. and when you start exporting Footballers, its quality and not quantity. as of right now, Kaviedes, Delgado, Chala, Castillo and to a certain extent ULDC or as the villa fans called him "Useless del la cruz" have all failed in the Prem league and only Valencia has delivered. Would you be surprised if someone called it a FLUKE?

Can someone say bullsh1t?? How many Ecuadorians have left Ecuador in the last decade? 3-4 million? Ecuas have immigrated to all parts of the world looking for a better life and most of the time working minimum wage, living in f.vcking box and you are trying to tell me that Ecua footballers with all the money they are getting paid and pampered with apartments and every possible assistance by clubs to make them feel comfortable, yet they can't make it? its a smack to the face to the common people who making it happen every day struggling for the simple things in life. Look at that jackass Zura, Could not make it australia playing in a league that I think is below than the Ecua league. getting paid very good money. If he can't make it in Australia, where the f.vck else is he going to make it? Cultural adaptation is myth and HUMAN BEING have been doing since we were living in CAVES..

7. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well, look, let's be honest if we are going to debate the legitimacy of cultural shock or "cultural adaptation" there should be little debate. Everyone experiencing a different culture whether the millions of Ecuadorian immigrants or an american tourist is Peru will face challenges in adapting or feeling comfortable in a foreign culture. However, I feel the real debate is the problem Ecua footballers have had when playing in a foreign league. Being a European living in Ecuador I too have problems enjoying the culture and adapting to the working environment, nevertheless footballers face incredible odds. For example, Castillo at Everton may not be a true midfielder in the eyes of Moyes but yet his playing style was a good fit at Red Star. Zura may have failed in a weak league but if a club in Spain offered a location where he could be with his family and speak his own language then we could see a different player. Another problem facing the Ecua footballers is their age. Caicedo may still be adapting to the speed of the Premier League but luckily for him he left Ecuador was he was a wee lad. I still think the future of Ecua footballers abroad is looking great as recent success with La Liga and youngsters (U18) could start playing in Europe and adapt at a young age. ( which I don't believe has happened much?)

8. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's not just Ecuadorians. Amr Zaki had a bad experience in Russia but is shining in Wigan.

The striker joined Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 but failed to settle in the Russian capital. And Wigan were determined to avoid a repeat of Zaki's Moscow nightmare.

The Egyptian said: "I'm not very proud of the experience at Lokomotiv. I only stayed for three months and did not play a game because I suffered from homesickness and the terrible climate.

"But it is very different at Wigan. I knew what was waiting for me and I am getting all the support I need.

"The club are doing their best to make me feel comfortable and even helped bring my family to England to make me feel at home. "I cannot even begin to describe how grateful I am to the Wigan fans, who have been just fantastic."

http://www.zimbio.com/Watch+Live+Fo...cles/9274/Amr+Zaki+Loving+Life+Wigan+Athletic

9. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I don't see the world as black and white as you do. In my opinion, with the exception of Chala, any of the above guys could have (or could still, in Castillo's case) excelled in the EPL. Success of players in Europe has a LOT to do with just being in the right place at the right time. You can't possibly argue that UDLC or Tin Delgado, in their prime, couldn't have excelled in any league.

Valencia's case is lucky in many ways - he was still young (unlike UDLC and Tin Delgado when they went to the EPL) and joined an up-and-coming team that is investing in the future and made a lot of smart choices. Not just Valencia, but Heskey, Zaki, and Palacios have all seen their prices skyrocket.

Moving to a country to wash dishes and clean houses is much different than trying to become a football star.

Repped.

Bingo.

There are countless examples of the same thing. Now Zaki is a huge star, last year nobody ever heard of him. Right time, right place.

10. Ecuador4life

Ecuador4life Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Sunnyvale,CA
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I truly believe the statements above. The reality is that the talent at this level is separated by decimal points. I believe its more about how the individual responds mentally and once again being in right place right time. Confidence is built from there.

Personally UDLC is one of my favorite players and people. Although you cant say he had a tremendous showing in the EPL. He represented us Ecuadorians well and has played abroad for almost 10 years. Not a bad deal.

11. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Futbol is black and white!! Either you suceed or you fail.. and believe me, Club Owners see it as black or white. No one spends money for sh1ts and giggles or because they have a good feeling about a player. And this being at the right place and time logic is not working out for ecuas in the prem league because as of right now. 4 out of 5 players have been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Delgado went to the prem league at the age of 26, ULDC was 27, Kaviedes 27 and Segundo castillo is 26.. What PRIME are you talking about?? Historically that is the prime age for ecua footballers..

Southampton is no way near a top flight club!! In Aston Villa, ULDC had all the chances a footballer could hope for and in Villa, if you don't perform, you don't last long just like any other big club in the world. Heskey was already a star and two honduran footballers had an immediate impact at Wigan. I doubt Palacios and Figueroa want to go back to Honduras which is 10x more poorer than Ecuador. Castillo has this year to impress. i don't think Everton will buy him at the end of the season. Would You?

There is alot more competition in washing dishes and cleaning houses. anyone can to that job. that's why they are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS.

Zaki is a star at Wigan, Do you actually think he will replace any forward in the top 5 clubs in england? regardless, some players have 5-7 chances and Some players have one shot at success. Hey since zaki failed in russia and Since Christian Noboa is a ZAR in russia, Noboa could blow the EPL AWay!!!

12. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Dude, do some research. Southampton was in top flight for 27 years, and were only relegated until after Delgado left.
    UDLC did perform. That's why he made 99 apps for Villa in 4 years. How can you say he didn't last? If anything, he layed down the foundation for Ecuadorian players to succeed in England. He acclimatized well and played decently. Just because he faltered at the end doesn't mean you can call his entire stay there a failure.
    I don't think you understand what Zaki's experience was about. Let me put it another way: settling down in a new place and succeeding in a new club requires hard work and determination not only from the player but from the club as well. If a club isn't accomodating then they can't expect the best from a player.

13. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Good point. The big problem with castillo is he was acquired on loan on the sole purpose of increasing evertons' depth.

14. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't think you understand what Zaki's experience was about. Let me put it another way: settling down in a new place and succeeding in a new club requires hard work and determination not only from the player but from the club as well. If a club isn't accomodating then they can't expect the best from a player.[/QUOTE]

Exactly correct! Not only does it take a dynamic player to succeed in foreign leagues but also the club needs to accommodate. Also, this is a slightly different argument but relevant. Why do you think there is recent (last 10yrs.) success in Ecua football? For instance, contrasting with Colombia, a country with more people than Argentina, I am surprised with Ecuador's success in comparison. Obviously, there are more variable than just population, nevertheless, I think when you compare Ecuador to Colombia, the players have piggy backed on UDLC's success and developed an interest in Ecua football for world clubs. Of course Colombia has had enormous success globally, but recently I think Ecua players have something to hang their hat on being the little neighbor to the south.

15. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you saying that clubs spend millions and than can not accomodate a Player? that makes no sense at all. that's like buying a brand new car and not putting oil and keeping maintenace on it. You must be really ignorant not to know the current state of Russia or any country for that matter. and who gives a sh1t about Zaki?

one reason. two straight World Cup appearances. or do you think ULDC was better than Luis capurro?

There are more people in Guayaquil than Uruguay. Population has nothing to do with it.

little neighbor to the south? with this attitude no wonder footballers are failing..

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Olimpia is interested in Ebelio Ordonez, I heard alot of Ecuas complain about him. Is he that bad?

17. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yes.

18. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    lmao short and to the point....

19. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Segundo Castillo played 76 minutes for Everton againsts Liverpool in the 1-1 draw for the FA Cup. Anyone know how he did?

20. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    not good. I think he might be done.. from the BBC

"The stretched nature of Everton's squad was demonstrated when 17-year-old Jack Rodwell then came on as replacement for the tiring Segundo Castillo."

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, the Everton posters on their forum said he was incredibly poor - worst player on the field.

22. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That sucks. He has been real solid always but lately...
    Injuries, lack of playing time...
    Maybe a change of team of even leage could give him more playing time so he can get back to his best form?
    Hopefully...

23. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Se ha podido conocer que el delantero Joao Rojas, quien brilló con la Selección en el último Sudamericano Sub. 20, tiene ofertas de un club alemán. Además, existen conversaciones con clubes del país, pero al jugador le gustaría enrolarse en Emelec.

Guayaquil-Ecuador

En diálogo con una prestigiosa radio porteña, el joven delantero Joao Rojas, quien tuvo una campaña magnífica en Técnico Universitario el año pasado y brilló con la Selección en el último Sudamericano Sub. 20, habló sobre su futuro.

En primera instancia, el jugador señaló que, durante su última estancia en Venezuela, un representante del Schalke 04, equipo de la Bundesliga alemana, se acercó a conversar con él. Entonces, el jugador le dio los datos de su representante Diego Herrera para que siguiera las negociaciones.

Además de este interés europeo, el hábil atacante tendría ofertas de algunos otros clubes de nuestro país. Aunque aclaró que había nada concreto en cuanto a propuestas nacionales, manifestó que es hincha de Emelec y le gustaría jugar mucho en el cuadro eléctrico.

Rojas y su representante también estarían estudiando propuestas de El Nacional y Barcelona, pero hasta ahora no habría nada claro. Sólo resta esperar para conocer cuál será el futuro de esta gran promesa del fútbol ecuatoriano.

24. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So Carlos Tenorio hits the age of 30 this May. Anyone else in agreement that this should therefore be the year that he moves on? His last chance to play at a top standard of football, where he belongs, is not too far away, and this time he must take it. Over the past few years the Ecuadorian striker has seen clubs such as Siena, Lille, Birmingham, Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, West Ham, and Wigan, all approach him, this only for his Qatar based club Al Sadd to turn them all down, this since they love him so much. Of such clubs that showed interest, I could see Tenorio fitting in perfectly at a Lille or a Wigan, and I only hope that such interest still remains. I could easily see a couple of years at the top flight for Tenorio being very possible, this wherever it be in the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, or playing in the Copa Libertadores. He must move out of Al Sadd first though, and I suggest that this departure for Mr Tenorio occurs for Summer 2009 (UK Summer).
    Anyone care to add their thoughts on this matter?

25. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    After so much disillusionment, I fear that he's destined to rot in the Qatari League.