Ecuador's team of the decade

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Primitive Ways, Jan 6, 2010.

1. jv9008

jv9008 Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    What Jose Cevallos has over any current keeper is professionalism. Cevallos is so well spoken.

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Re: Luis Antonio Valencia, news & comments (r)

We really have had some terrible goalkeepers. It's scary.

3. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Re: Luis Antonio Valencia, news & comments (r)

Damn, thas terrible., I have to admit though I've never actually witnessed Ibarra or that Espinoza guy in net in the past,but I have to say that in his day Jose Cevallos wasn't very good. Back in the early 2000s, I would say he had a worse form than the one he's had these two years when he's been with Liga. I think that up to recently Jose Cevallos plays way better for la seleccion than when he played back in the 2002 qualfying and before that. Cristian Mora has been criticzed alot I've noticed, and though he isn't terrible I think he could be better.

I have to be honest and say that the truth is Ecuador reallly doesn't have good goalkeepers. The only real good goalkeepers are Elizaga and hes not even Ecuadorian, and Cevallos(post -2007). I always thought that Villafuerte dude would become great,but he started losing form after going to smaller teams. And Damian Lanza disappointed me because I always thought that since the move to Genoa he would make it in Europe,and same could be said with Aragon whos struggling in Turkey right now.

But the true fact is that Ecuador really needs to build better goalkeepers,just like COlombia has over the years. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Lanza can become better,as well as Aragon, and lets hope that Banugera, Mendoza, and Dominguez strive to the top for la selccion.

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Jose Cevallos of 02 Qualifiers was awesome!! He just wasn't as experienced...

Ibarra and Jacinto Espinoza are only club players...they have their prime times in their clubs but at international level THEY ARE COMPLETE CRAP.

Cristian Mora was promising...had a good time at Liga and then went on a downfall til he left.

Edwin Chupafuerte....same as Mora...he went on a downfall. He left D.Quito like an idiot and just ruined his career from there.

Damian Lanza....now this was upsetting to me. Great keeper that got benched by Klimowicz in Cuenca and then lost himself out there in Europe. Is he in Emelec this year as well or did he move somewhere else?

Rorys Aragon is a good keeper. He's not struggling in Turkey at all. He's played the majority of games, but stopped playing the last few games b/c of some issues he had with the team...not b/c he's in bad shape. The man hates Turkey and he's trying to find another club team to join right now. I heard Standard wants him back as well.

Right now we can only depend on Banguera, Dominguez, and soon enough in the future Manuel Mendoza. I think Aragon has to play in the ecua league if he wants any chances playing for our NT...a load of commentators in ecuador say that as well.

5. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Damian Lanza is in Emelec right now,but he's a third string goalkeeper,so I'm not sure he has even touched the field yet.Disappointing because I thought he would end up in a good European team like Juventus or Sevilla,but then again he's still young for a goalkeeper and has along road ahead of him, I just hope he can get out of the whole he dug himself in.

And on Jose Cevallos I remeber alot of Ecuadorians blamed him after 2002,saying that he was at fault for letting Ecuador lose to Italy and Mexico in the world cup. Also I remember in 2004 or 2005, their were two friendlies against Jordan and CHile where he was heavily criticized being told that he should retire and that his time for la seleccion has come to an end because he let in 3goals to Jordan and 3 to Chile in a 3-1 friendly loss. Anyone rememeber these games?

6. siempreazul

siempreazul Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The team of LDU Q that won the Copa Libertadores de America. Now that was a good team.

7. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yes, I agree.

8. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    The Best Ecuadorian XI of all time would be

GK- Jose F. Cevallos
    RB- Neicer Reasco
    LB- Walter Ayovi
    CB- Ivan Hurtado(in his prime)
    CB- Luis Capurro
    RM-Antonio Valencia
    LM- Jefferson Montero
    CM- Edison Mendez
    CM- Alex Aguinaga
    FW- Agustin Delgado
    FW- Alberto Spencer

Subs
    GK- Marcelo Elizaga
    DF- Giovanny Espinoza(in his prime)
    MF- Jose Villafuerte
    MF- Angel Fernandez
    FW- Ariel Graziani
    FW- Ivan Kaviedes
    FW- Eduardo Hurtado
    (Christian Benitez maybe in the future)

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would have Carlos Luis Morales (Pestañita) in there instead of Elizaga..

10. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some good players on that list, Montero doesn't belong there tho, he hasnt done anything for the NT that merits a mention.

11. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of all time? Are you a Sock? How about your 11 against mine.. We'll let the posters decide..

-----------------------------Jose Cevallos-----------------------------

Vicente Lecaro---Ivan Hurtado-----Luciano Macias--Luis Capurro

---------------------Kleber Fajardo------------------------

Polo Carrera---------Alex Aquinaga-------- Jorge Bolaños-------

---------------Alberto Spencer--------Augustin Delgado-------

Kleber Fajardo (Before Coimbra broke his leg) is still considered the best Defensive mid Ecuador has ever produced.

12. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Morales was bad ass I forgot about him

13. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    True Montero is really young but I'm almost sure his going to be the best player our country has ever produced.

14. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even over Spencer..lol

15. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    ok let the others decide. Have to admit Jorge Bolanos and Fajardo were just decent good and well Polo Carrera was bad ass I cant believe I forgot about him he use to be my fav player to watch. However ecuador was a little short on talent back in the days the best player have been produce within the recent 2-3 decades

16. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    About Lecaro I recall he played CB.

17. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He can play that position and still be better than Neicer reasco. Wagner Rivera is better than neicer reasco..

18. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jorge Bolanos was or is still considered the 2nd best ecua footballer of all time.. Aquinaga passed him but there is no way in hell I would ever leave him out. I saw a picture of him years ago of a game against Chile where is jersey was COMPLETELY torn off because they couldn't stop him..and to this date Fajardo is considered the best def mid ever produced.

19. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    so if aguinaga passed him Alberto Spencer, Antonio Valencia, and Polo Carrera didnt? surely he isnt near the top 3, I think your over rating both players and well Fajardo was good before that incident with Combra but he didn't have a good career over all to be included in the best XI of all time anyway just my opinion. Let see what other people have to say about our line ups.

20. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    wow...just wow...

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I watch his show all the time

Where's Holger Quinonez or Ulises de La Cruz on your list? Capurro was an awesome player, but im not to knowledgeable of Lecaro or even Luciano Macias. The name Lecaro sounds familiar but Luciano Macias doesn't ring a bell at all.

22. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I friggin absolutely HATE WIKIPEDIA but read his ridiculously watered down Trayectoria.. Don't ever mention Bolanos and Valencia is the same sentence again..

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Bolaños

23. Gourcuff_07

Gourcuff_07 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    like you mention wikipedia isn't the best source especially to claim that a player is the second best on his country without having any major achievements not even playing a world cup. He was a great player one of the best back in the days but ecuadorian football sucked back then, the majority of the players were way below the average south american player. His career isn't bad but if he was so great why didn't he ever go out of ecuador and become a hit at international level like aguinaga, spencer, valencia, and others?

24. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well the world cups are good because not only do you get to watch your country but players get exposure. If it wasn't for Tin Delgado, Ulyses de la cruz, Aguinaga, and Mendez taking us to our first world cup who knows when we wouldve had a player playing in a team like Manchester United.

25. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He was at River Plate of Argentina and Ac milan wanted him back in the late 50's, early 60, Do you have any idea, even the slightest clue? What it was like for any foreign Club especially Ac Milan back 45+ years ago to even ask about a Ecuadorian footballer? Whatever i'm done here...

the last player Ac Milan came looking for in Ecuador was Alex Aquinaga. 21 years ago..