Ecuador WCQ Matches vs Colombia and Bolivia

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Luigi408, Aug 26, 2013.

1. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    La Yoya barely runs when we're attacking. He will never play good defense. I guess Rueda put Valencia up there to run and ppressure Colombia but I still believe Rueda did Valencia dirty for putting him as a LONE STRIKER! I'm sorry but I don't wanna see Valencia playing unless Valencia, Ibarra and Rojas are all injured somehow. Maybe I'd give Valencia another shot with Caicedo up front but other than that he should stick to playing the right wing.

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Those who support Rueda's inclusion of E. Valencia because he's a "better defender" than the other options are basically supporting the ultra-negative 4-6-0 formation we went out there with.

In 23 years of watching Ecuador, I 've never seen us actually take the field with ZERO players that play forward at a club level. This is setting a new precedent of negative tactics. Yes, we did OK on the counterattack because we are blessed with the best pair of wingers on the continent, but there was never anybody to pass to when we got up the field, so our goal threat was non-existent.

If we keep this up, we'll continue to lose 1-0 or 2-0 every game, like Rueda did with Honduras at the World Cup.

3. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was a serious response. What agenda is that? hijack? if people can't handle the truth. go right ahead. Guerron is a JACKASS! He destroyed any future possibility of any Ecuadorian ever being bought, or loan to Getafe. FACT! Guerron has never ever helped out the defense! FACT! I still remember Enrique Vera taping up his ********ing hamstring in the copa Lib Final because he was so wore out from covering JACKASS lack of Defensive skills. FACT. Guerron is a premadonna bitch who got punked in spain and than called Racism. FACT! And this coming from a person from Ecuador. as of today, Ecuador is still the most racist country I have ever visited. FACT! Did Felipao have problems with racism in Spain? How about Montero? Guerron plays in the 85th rank league in world FACT. RESPECTFUL

4. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Truth is no one here can tell us about Guerron's current level, no one watches his games, and ever since hes left Liga his failures are more than his achievements. Enner Valencia prove that for the Colombia game he was a good choice. If we are up on Bolivia let's say 2-0 with 20 mins left I wouldnt mind seeing what Guerron can do but in any other case Felipe Caicedo, Narciso Mina, Jaime Ayovi, Joao Rojas and Enner Valencia are better option imo.

5. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Um before I argue, this is a soccer forum but I would l ike to diverge off topic for a bit. How do you know Guerron ruined every Ecuadorians chance to make it to Getafe? Were you personally there? Why is it that you always seem to know about these little details? Also, I call complete bullshit on the less racism in Spain than Ecuador thing, Spain is a conservative country with a very prehistoric mindset just like much of western Europe, you'd be lucky to walk around in Spain at least from what I've heard from family being of Peruvian or Ecuadorian background especially because of the noticeable difference in skin colour . Also, Ecuador has changed politically a lot from what it used to be and that mindset is looked down upon a lot in this day and age, you seem to be very ignorant on these things and I would advise you to worry about Argentina's affairs instead of making up bullshit about other people's countries. How do you know Guerron wasn't bashed racially? He's black, how many black players are bashed in SPain and especially Italy every year in matches? Then was it lies when there were reports saying that fans would throw bananas and make monkey noises at him? You're clearly a moron, and lack some kind of filter in your brain which could be seen from your ever so aggressive troll like posts. And don't make me laugh about racism you hypocrite, Argentinians are the biggest bigots in South AMerica, they single out a person that looks different over like nothing, it's an everyday thing over there. You're a joke..

Manolo and lav92 repped this.
  6. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nope, Absolutely nothing has changed in Ecuador when it comes to being black or Indian, Or do you want me to tell how Colombians and the new wave of CUBANS are looked at or treated? Please You Moron, I'm white, Blue eyes, Blonde. Do you want to tell people how white people are treated in Ecuador or should I? I had a fabulous time in guayaquil. LOVED IT!! I must of ******** a quarter of girls attending Lecumberri. And who cares what the spaniards think? I don't see a big Statue of Liberty inviting foreigners into their country. Plain and simple. DON'T GO THERE.

Guerron accused his own TEAMMATES of racism you ignorant. For a small club like that to fork out 4Millions Euros and only get 14 games out of him? Please Hold your breathe on Getafe ever getting an ecuadorian. There is a reason he's playing in CHINA at his peak!!!! Sure we Argentines are the Bigots in South America. Blah,Blah,Blah... LOL Just ask Guerron when he was in Boca Juniors about it or Juan Cazares..oops don't ask him because he absolutely loves argentina. Let's see. How about all the Colombians, Paraguayans, etc that have played in Argentina...Hmmmmmmmmm You're the joke here just like your name!!

7. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He played professional ball in Ecuador. He clearly knows it all. :rolleyes:

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some of the comments I'm seeing on here are just outrageous.
    I don't support any 4-6-0 formation. But I think that Ener Valencia had a good game. If you watch the first 27 minutes of the game again, you'll see Montero and Ener switching positions. My thoughts are that Rueda put Ener up front so that he'd specifically be able to do this...Enner's probably one of the few players we called up that would be able to do this. If Yoya or Guerron played as strikers, they would have not confused the colombia defense doing these type of movements. It would have been known that Montero was going to be glued on the left, Antonio on the right, and Yoya/Guerron up front. w/ Enner and Montero starting, it was hard to predict what was going to happen and who was going to be on the left or up front- that is IMO what Rueda was going for. In other words, he didn't want Ecuador to be predictable.....which is what we have been in the games vs. Peru and vs. Argentina. Had Rueda been able to hold this for a longer time w/ 11 guys on the field, i think we could have left w/ a positive result. You gotta take into account that the substituions Rueda would have made wouldn't have been the same ones that he was forced to make due to the explusion early in the game. I'm pretty sure Guerron or Yoya would have came in later and Renato Ibarra would possibly have come in earlier. The scenario would have been different but we played like this because we had to. With 10 men playing against one of the best NT's in the world, you can't risk being predictable. Rueda played it smart

And I highly doubt we will play more games with the exact formation you saw against Colombia. The issue was we didn't have Felipe, and obviously Chucho isn't in the picture anymore, Yoya isn't 100%, and we have lots of quality winger....that changes everything. I think the best decisions were made for that game, but we can't be thinking about that anymore. What's done is done and I'm confident ecuador will win on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure the 4-4-2 will come back in place and Guerron or Yoya are the best options to place next to Felipao.

9. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    4-5-1 would be my bet. Castillo-Noboa-Valencia -Montero-Ibarra-Felipe.

10. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Say what you want about Guerron, but in my mind he is an immortal hero for bringing the Copa Libertadores to Ecuador.

He could play in Samoa for all I care, he's not the only Ecua with a bad agent. Regardless, he has done well everywhere he has gone except Spain, which in my view means absolutely nothing because even Valencia and Montero "failed" there.

11. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    And about the comments people make on Guerron...he doesn't suck just because he plays in the Chinese league. Carlos Tenorio played for years in Al Saad and was the best player we had in the 2006 WC. Did he suck? Did Chucho suck all of the sudden because he went to Qatar?

Some people here are under the impression that Guerron hasn't evolved as a player and improved in many aspects of his game since 2009 or 2010 (whenever he was last on the NT). From what I recall, Guerron, Chucho, Felipe- all these guys were on the same page in the last qualifiers. Players with amazing talent, but who needed to mature to become productive for our NT. The difference between Guerron and the other two guys is that Guerron DID NOT GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW THAT HE'S IMPROVED. People here are still calling him a selfish player, saying he can't defend, saying Guerron has never had success w/ the NT....well can someone tell me when he was given a 2nd chance? From what I recall Chucho and Felipao were mamones last qualifier. Yet they were given another opportunity this Qualifier to demonstrate that they have matured and are ready to show what they're made of. Was Guerron given this chance yet? NO. So how can you achieve success on the NT if you're never called up? Does Fidel Martinez suck b/c he's never given a chance? And if he sucks in his first few games w/ the NT does that mean he can't improve later on in his career?

I remember when Montero was first playing in Spain, he had a long way to go. He wasn't so good at helping defend either. Joao Rojas when he first went to Morelia...same sh*t. I remember Joao's coach said that Joao is struggling to adapt to start consistently in Morelia b/c he specifically needed to improve THAT aspect of his game. NOW, Joao does it a lot better. Same with Montero. It's possible to improve, and I think some people think Guerron hasn't simply b/c they haven't seen him play in years. I'm pretty sure some people on here still think he's a winger and have no idea that he learned how to play as a striker during his time in Atletico Paranaense and has continued to play that position in China.

viagoal and Manolo repped this.
  12. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The argentino doesn't like Liga...what do you expect? i've noticed from the comments he makes about us. But i'd rather not bring up club teams right now b/c he's probably suffering more than Liga is right now.

13. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I want to argue the numerous lies and misinformation in the above, but it's taking too much time and energy already. YOU WON!! Can you please go away now?

14. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can't compare Guerron to the professionalism of Carlos tenorio. Come On! Not even close. Wherever Carlos tenorio went, The people fell in love with him. Shit, Vasco de Gama loves Tenorio. You think anyone misses Guerron? at any place? Loud mouth P.O.S. Not a team player. If guerron played a little defense and kept his mouth shut, He could easily be in the English prem league..

15. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  16. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In my opinion the difference with Guerron and the players you mentioned is that with Guerron we saw a consistent decrease of his performances, from Getafe' 14-16 games to barely playing in Cruzeiro. having a good (not great) season in Paranaense and let us remember that Rueda did try him, so after Vizuete, Guerron had his second chance. I however do believe we dont know how good he really is, Carlos Tenorio and Benitez went to Middle East already consolidated as Starters. Guerron's 28 and who knows, he should be in his prime.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  17. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Who was that guy that was at Getafe and went to one of the Milan teams a season after Guerron arrived? that could have been Guerron, if he tried....

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    If memory serves me, the problem with Guerron was that when he left LDU in 2008 after winning the Libertadores, he got no playing time at Getafe, which made it difficult for him to be considered for the NT. He had a few games and he played well but it didn't help that he plays in Valencia's position. After 2010, and a decent season on loan at Cruzeiro, he finally settled in Paranaense and was sensational. He was called up a few times at the beginning of Rueda's tenure, but for some reason he stopped getting called, and then when he went to China that pretty much ended his NT career unless something crazy happened - like somebody dying.

b9d23m89 repped this.
  19. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    #194 viagoal, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    yes, racism still exists at some of the stadiums in Ecuador. However, there has been some change and there are movements against racism in Ecuador. There are education programs and movies, docs like the one you posted being produced to help combat this ill.

Chucho is badly missed right now.

20. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I liked how Enner played against Colombia. He played one hell of a game. I would like to see him and Caicedo vs Bolivia. Also, I do agree, Guerron deserves a chance to prove himself.

21. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Enner played well against Colombia but IMO it didn't work. Did you guys see how many time Montero got around the Colombian defense?! Who was there to help him out?! NO ONE! Not one person was there in the box to score a goal from Montero's pass.

E. Valencia could NOT get around that defense or put pressure at all. He is too weak to do anything to make those defenders fear him. He doesn't have the skills like Messi or Naymar has to play as a false FW. He was just simply there to help defend. Nothing else.

E. Valencia is NOT the answer for the false 9 or what ever you guys want to call it. The only player that we have that has played that position and succeeded has been Martinez. Why? Because he is simply WAY better than E. Valencia. He scores often and again every kind of opponent. He also knows how to distribute the ball much better.

The knock on Martinez IMO would be defending which is why E. Valencia was probably chosen above Martinez.

This was a huge mistake IMO! Why? Because Ecuador (if I'm not wrong) has only scored ONE goal in the past 5+ matches! We needed goals NOT more defenders. Which is also why we haven't won in 5+ matches!

We didn't need a defender in E. Valencia. We needed a goal scored who is smart and has skills.

Rueda was a coward because all he wanted was a tie and to defend like crazy. That is why we lack imagination at the point of attack in almost every game.

22. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Against Bolivia, I have a feeling Rueda will use Guerron as a 9 and Caicedo as a 10 second striker/ playmaker.

Valencia, Noboa, Erazo, Guagua and Saritama have yellows. And we need them for the game against Uruguay.
    Rueda might use an alternative line up against Bolivia.

Dominguez
    Paredes, Erazo, Guagua, Ayovi
    Ibarra, Castillo, Larrea, Montero
    Guerron, Caicedo

23. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That's hard to believe at this decisive moment in the qualifier. Right now it's all or nothing and Rueda isn't going to start Larrea or even Ibarra IMO. It's the main starters going at it 100% b/c he knows if we don't get the 3 pts in Bolivia sh*t is going to look extremely ugly...in other words it will almost be impossible to Qualify b/c Uruguay (the biggest monster of all) is next and they're not easy at all in this part of the Qualifier.

IMO Ener Valencia doesn't fit in a 4-4-2 line up so if Rueda plans on playing Ener, i suggest he goes back and watches how Joao Rojas played up front with Caicedo in the last few games. That's why I assume it wouldn't work. Being alone up front and having to play with someone else by your side is two different things. In Emelec, I've never seen Ener play next to Marlon or Stracqualursi. Could work, but this isn't the time to try that out I think. Colombia was a different game, where at the end of the day Ener, Guerron, Yoya, Ibarra, Rojas- any of these guys could have been the surprise up front, but Rueda went for the option that was least predictable to have the opponent confused.

Against Bolivia, there's nothing to hide. We have to play in La Paz similarly to how we play in Quito. Meaning everyone that is supposed to start is going to start. the only doubt is who is going to accompany Caicedo. There's Guerron and there's Yoya and with a 4-4-2, there's no other option than these two guys. Ibarra, Rojas, Ener- will probably all produce the same if not a similar effect to what you guys have seen from Rojas in the past few games.

24. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm willing to bet Mina startes tomorrow next to Caicedo, unless Mendez starts then it will be Montero on top with Caicedo.

25. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i think we will see mendez and yoya get the start tomorrow. Both are playing at altitude in Quito. Yoya doesnt often create but he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I dont care if he scores ugly tomorrow aslong as he scores . 3-1 Ecduador . Yoya , Felipao And El Jeff.