Ecuador WCQ Matches vs Colombia and Bolivia

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Luigi408, Aug 26, 2013.

1. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think from here until the end of the year, Ecuador won't change much for the better. El futbol es de momentos. Right now it's not Ecuador's. Just like it wasn't Chile's or Uruguay's a year ago. Our past National Teams (los historicos) did not suffer from the "el futbol es de momentos" saying as much back in the day, but in reality this one does. Back in the day it didn't matter if Ulises, Reasco, Tin, Kaviedes, mendez, or whoever wasn't doing well at club level. They would transform on the NT and bring out the best futbol they had to the pitch. The problem is we don't have that anymore. That national team from back then was something else now that you think about it. This NT is actually affected highly by how they are performing at club level. And if we look back at Paredes, Campos, Erazo, and Achilier of last year or even Morante at the beginning of the Qualifier- all of these guys were having great seasons individually at club level. Heck, even Saritama in D.Quito was doing better than he is now and had a few games on the NT where he shut me up. When Felipe came back to the NT he was starting and doing well in Lokomotiv. Even when Mina scored a goal vs. Chile in that first friendly he played, he was having his best season in Barcelona. That's the difference between then and now. Now all of these guys I mentioned are doing poorly or average at club level at best. I think Felipe just started his first game since forever like a week or so before the Qualifiers.

So all in all, these guys don't suck. It's just unfortunately that all of them are going through a bajon right now...ironically when they are most needed. In the most crucial stage of the Qualifier. And on top of that we lose Chucho and can't win a single game since he was last on the pitch. The answer isn't firing Rueda or taking everyone out of the line up and starting with an entire new team. That's just how futbol is. All we can do is hope that qualifying to the WC motivates these guys and that they can bring the same positive attitude we saw in the second half of 2012 and in the first quarter of the 2013. I have faith that these guys will be off to a fresh new start after this season. The one positive thing i've seen is that Antonio has improved after his awful funk he had. Hopefully he continues progressing, so that's one positive note to begin with.

2. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    #302 viagoal, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Add the psychological aspect of losing a player like Chucho who was one of the NT leaders on and off the field. Also, the politics and finance problems in some of the clubs. Paredes legal matters etc... There are so many outside factors.

I really liked the way we played in Baranquilla. I only wished we had better luck.

Starting line up vs. Uruguay
    Dominguez
    Paredes, Campos, Erazo, Ayovi
    Valencia, Mendez, Noboa, Montero
    Fidel, Caicedo

3. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Just admit b9d OWNED you.

4. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    How did you come to that conclusion? Cause I want Rueda fired? We haven't won in 6 games. We have only scored 2 goal in those games. He keeps call up players that don't shouldn't be called up. His tactics are all messed up and defensive. Trust me that we would be better off without him. If we make it to the WC with Rueda we are going to be the laughing stock of the WC, just like Honduras was in the last WC.

5. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Unfortunately I don't see Fidel making an impact anytime soon. Definitely not in a game as high pressure as vs. Uruguay. Unfortunately Rueda has not given opportunities to many players over the past 3 years and we are paying for it because we have no depth in any position except the right wing. He is a stubborn man. Remember he didn't call up Felipao for over a year after Copa America?? He waited until his hand was forced by suspensions and injuries.

I don't really have an answer either. It's been 3 years and guys like Fidel, Arroyo, Guerron and several other young players have not been given opportunities, even in meaningless friendlies where we always fielded our same lineup. I remember complaining about playing our first team against El Salvador, Portugal, Germany, etc. Well I'm not a professional coach but now I see why other countries do that!

My only solution is to go back to the past, we all know Mendez is still needed, and maybe Carlos Tenorio can bring back the aerial threat and strength that we lack without Chucho.

Unlike some of you, I'm not negative about our individual talent. We have players. I don't have faith in this coaching staff, and this didn't start yesterday. Go back to the Rueda thread and we all look like psychics, because the things we compained about when he started - too defensive, not knowing the players' positions, not calling the best available players, bad substitutions - all of this is the same thing we are complaining about today!! The only thing that has saved his ass is the talent he has, including inspired performances by either Chucho, Caicedo, Montero or Valencia depending on the game. Usually one of those guys came up with a big moment to win a game where we were otherwise playing poorly, like against Colombia and Bolivia at home.

So we are managing to qualify in spite of, not because of this coach. I just don't have any optimism about what we can accomplish in the World Cup.

6. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #306 Argentine Futbol, Sep 11, 2013
    You are Right , He owned me!!! LOL

Yeah And Where are those Players Right Now? Right this Minute? Doing What? you have a Player in Juventus? So Liga is taking credit for Juventus' Work? I've also heard of players in Real madrid, FC Barcelona, Zaragosa, River Plate, Boca Juniors, So on and So Forth. So WHAT? Where are they NOW? and with the wonderful track record and Excellent patience of Ecua Fans, they might be selling Morocho or Guatita Tomorrow. Name the last player worth a damn that Liga Produced? Carlos Tenorio? At the same time when Spending millions on Nahuelpan, didn't liga send a youth striker to Argentina? Good Job!

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    No, but we developed Cevallos Jr. He came from Liga's youth system, we gave him playing time, and he impressed enough to attract a top club team like Juventus. So that's where he is now.

This year we have Gabriel Corozo. And hopefully next it's Richard Mercado. So what's your beef with Liga? lol you seem to be mad about something.

I wonder if you asked yourself "where are they now?" when Antonio was 18 years old and debuted in the Qualifier.

8. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #308 Argentine Futbol, Sep 11, 2013
    Again, Name the last player Liga gave to the Nt that was extraordinary? I don't have a beef Liga. It a disappointment that such a big club has produced squat in the last 10 years. I have beef with all these Bi-polar people that scream and shout and don't have a clue about what going on and look to blame people. That's Ecuadorian football in a nutshell. Fans screaming and shouting and yet no one goes to the stadium and expect Directivos to fork out money for football clubs. If SD Quito average 30K a game at 5 bucks a game. That's 300K a month and 3mill a year average just on attendance. You think clubs would be in a financial crisis? Everyone expects directivos to pull money out of their ass somehow. You actually think there are Coaches waiting in line to Coach Ecuador? LOL. Who? Bauza said No, Fossati said No, And Ecuador doesn't have the Money Colombia or Chile has for coaches. Marcelo Bielsa was making close to 900K a Year at Chile. Pekerman is rumored to make 3-5 million. You think Ecuador can approach that? How much is Rueda making? 40-50? Where do people think the FEF gets money from? And to top it off,. Ecuas fans are some of the Worst! No Patience and not die hard football fans. If they were than the Stadiums would be packed!

He was 18 or 20? LOL. and thank god for El Nacional. Ecuador would friggin lost without that club.

9. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I have to agree with this. No other club in Ecuador has produced talent like El Nacional. I hope they fix their financial problem and continue producing stars.

Other clubs doing well at this point of time is Ind. del Valle, Catolica, and Liga de Loja. From the big clubs only Emelec has good young players. I agree, even though I like LDU, they have been very disappointing in developing talent and exporting talent that actually has had success outside of Ecuador.

Hoping Cevallos is an exception though. Hope he develops into a great midfield player because that position is one of the weakest right now.

10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Barcelona has had decent talents only to let them rot and then buy them back in a few years.

11. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Do they teach up and coming talent in Ecuador how to finish? If Montero buried just one of those shots yesterday, everyone would be happy with Rueda again. This is why most teams like Liga or Barcelona end up buying so many strikers from Argentina. I don't think any DT wants to take his chances on a young player at such a key position. It ends up costing them their job. Good thing Marlon de Jesus left because that new guy was already taking his spot. That is why I like what Independiente del Valle is doing. They prioritize Ecuadorian talent and they look at each player as an investment. For Independiente it it serious business and not an opportunity for some dirigentes who pay 3 million for an Argentine worth 2 million and then pocketing that extra million for themselves.

12. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wheres is colombia is getting that kind of cash to pay pekerman,the last i heard their teams were also in trouble financially.af is on point about the paltry attendance in our league though,its sad to,see dep quito pull in a thousand people per game.where are the hinchas when they need them.someones line up had dominguez for the next game,no F ing way,this butter finger cant handle this kind of pressure,he'l come out with that deer caught in headlights look and F it up once more and then he'l blame the altura,Lol..

13. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I have to say, I can't understand all the criticism of Banguera and Dominguez over the last several games. We tied Argentina and Bolivia 1-1 and we lost to Colombia and Peru 1-0. That's an average of 1 goal conceded per game, which is EXCELLENT. Our defense is NOT the issue here.

The ball in Bolivia was going 100 miles/hour, we couldn't even make good passes because the ball was flying out of bounds. Dominguez made several great saves, and his positioning was excellent so he didn't have to dive on several powerful shots from the Bolivians. If anything he should be more vocal in yelling at the defenders to get in front of the shots.

Our issue is attacking and scoring goals. We can have the best defense in the world, but if we can't score other than hoping the ref awards us penalty kicks, we are in bad trouble.

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Montero isn't a striker, although it would help if he knew how to finish properly. This season in his club team his finishing seemed to have improved, but yesterday's game against Bolivia shows he still hasn't perfected it. It's his last minute decision make that screws things up for him. He needs to decide whether he is going to center or break in through the box and whether it's actually worth doing it. Sometimes he just collides into 4 players and kills the play all by himself. He needs to calm down. That's why players like Arroyo and Fidel Martinez are more appropriate in certain games b/c they don't rush into making stupid decisions. They think more when they have the ball, although they are physically slower than Montero but they are more effective at times.

As far as Marlon De Jesus, I can assure you no one in Emelec would win a spot over him. He was out the last 2 weeks before transferring b/c he was injured. Gustavo Quintero's loved that player just like every coach in Ecuador that has had Marlon in their team. Every team in ecuador Marlon has played in, he has started whether he's been scoring or not- Emelec, D.Quito (especially here where he never scored), and El Nacional. All I can say is if people had faith in Benitez, then you can at least have hope that Marlon De Jesus will improve his finishing. Benitez's goal scoring average was even lower than Marlon's when he left to Santos. And Benitez was around the same age as Marlon is right now.

Independiente invests a lot in the youth. It's not cheap either. The good thing is that it works really well for them and they are demolishing everyone in every youth division, reserves, etc. And they're getting closer and closer to the top positions in the table each season and displayed great futbol for their first international appearances. But that took them years and years. It doesn't happen just like that in 1 or even 2 years. How long do you think Universidad Catolica's process has been for them to be doing this well right now? 4 years! And I remember posting here saying... watch out, Universidad Catolica is going to be the surprise of the season. Said and done- they're fighting the top 2 positions right now with Emelec with possibilities to playing in the final of the campeonato. The issue is that the top clubs in the league aren't going to invest as heavily in the youth. The big teams need immediate results and can't wait a season or two until the juveniles are ready. In the big teams el juvenil que realmente juega, va a jugar and that's that. Gabriel Corozo plays 90 minutes, not just because he's a juvenil, but b/c he won his starting spot. You can't compare the pressures of Barcelona, Emelec, Liga, and D. Quito to Independiente or Catolica's. El Nacional is a different story, they depend on youth from day 1, that's their foundation. Emelec does a decent job at producing young talent, but they've also had huge screw ups like letting go of Jeff Montero. Marcos Caicedo and Ener Valencia no se acaban de pulir...and Gustavo Quinteros isn't going to spend all day with them. He's given them their chances since 2009-2010. They're inconsistent players who have their good moments in every season and then they shut down. Right now Ener is having his. Marcos Caicedo has his at the beginning of the year. In any other team both of these guys would start every game. Shoot, probably even in the majority of the mexican teams which is probably where they'll end up. To sum everything up, in teams like Indep. DV and Catolica, the juveniles have all the time in the world, in the big teams you don't.

15. PABLITO

PABLITO Member

Jun 11, 2007
  16. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anyone noticed how generous we were to CHile in the qualification processes for 2002 and 2006? When we were already qualified we just fought for a tie, and at least gave them a fighting chance for repechaje in 2006, but they didn't return the favour for us last qualifiers when we were terribly needing the points at least for fifth place :(, guess it goes to show you nice guys finish last right?

17. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You never know, SAMPAOLI absolutely Loves Guayaquil and Emelec. If Chile qualifies before hand, they could give Ecuador a hand and put out a b team. Shit, Argentina will give the three points to Uruguay.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think so. The players should remember the Copa and won't make it easy for Uruguay. Plus, Messi says he wants to play in the remaining games.

19. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    :D
    Soooo... Rueda are you saying if we lose to Uruguay you're leaving =D

If we can't even beat Bolivia's second team, its a greater possibility that we don't win against Uruguay. They just beat Colombia which are "better" than the Uruguayans rank wise.

I have faith in Marlon. I am glad he went to a good Mexican team, I hope he grows into a better finisher. We really need him to take over the forward position.

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Well hopefully we can get some extra motivation against Uruguay by the way they beat us in Quito last time. The difference was that we needed a win back then to get into 5th place...this time they will
    I hope Humberto Suazo teaches him. I hated that guy, he was deadly.

21. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally off topic but who's glad that Costa Rica qualified?? I think that they're always a team that bandwagoners discredit but seem to play head to head against big teams. They were tying Germany 2-2 in Germany 2006 for most of the match until towards the end of the game . That's insane !

22. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ughh.. why bring up bitter memories? If a team that we slaughtered was able to give Germany such a run for their money, we could've actually finished in 1st place if LFS fielded our best-11 against the Germans.

Still glad for the ticos though.

23. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's true, Ecuador has more possession than Germany in that match and they even had some dangerous plays but for sure if Tin played we could have at least lost 3-2 or something. And I'm glad for los Ticos too, they're always a team that manages to impress against European sides for some reason if you don't believe me look it up, they put Central Americas name on the map in terms of football and much better than Honduras I'd say.