Ecuador- WC Qualifiers BRAZIL 2014/Eliminatorias

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think Martinez should have been called up. I don't get what else be has to do to win a spot in the NT. He scores goals and plays great. He should have replaced Saritama since be isn't going good at all.
    Narvaez is another player that should have been called up. Stop calling Guagua already. Dude is horrible!
    De Jesus? I don't know yet but I'm not too confident about him. Dude misses too many scoring opportunities.
    What is Banguera doing on the NT? That dude shouldn't be allow to play at least this game.

2. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    same thing was said about Benitez with my own mouth years ago. lesson learned.

3. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ok Marlon, the path is set for you now. Relax and dont take it as a burden. Your young and have the qualities to be successful. You wont fill Chuchos shoes( not now atleast), but please just be useful. Thats all.

Kr0nika R0ja and b9d23m89 repped this.
  4. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I like the call up except I agree Fidel should have been called. I never agreed with the way we played our recent friendlies with our strongest 11. This is an important time to give young players a shot and also figure out how we replace Chucho.

I want to see Arroyo get some time. I always liked him, he is a player that can make a difference. I'd try him on the left and Montero behind Felipe. Ibarra on the right side.

5. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Narvaez is the biggest snub in my opinion. That kid can play. But it's nice that we have some depth at the position. Paredes hasn't performed well with the NT the last couple of games and he has been underwhelming playing for Barcelona his season. Hopefully he can turn it around. And he's going to have to because he has some competition breathing down his neck. Corozo, Velasco, Narvaez, and Mario Pineida are eagerly waiting for their opportunity.

Just wondering who is going to be Erazo's partner on defense? Hopefully it's Achilier. He's gotten his act together so hopefully we see him and not Guagua.

6. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think it's just wonderful how Banguera only gets suspended 2 games for slapping Pedro Quinonez in the face while Bauza gets 1 month for just telling the ref "no te me hagas el guapo" or whatever the hell he said. The FEF is a POS! f*ck you chirirata. always trying to find a way to screw Liga over.

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Important fact: We retired the #11 now, so we can only call up 22 players. FIFA only allows players to be assigned the numbers 1-23. Seeing as how #11 is now not available, Rueda will only be able to call up 22 players. Players are not allowed to wear a number that is not between 1-23 (#24 for example, is not allowed to be worn- FIFA regulations).

http://www.futbolecuador.com/stories/publica/37459

I think it's great that we pay homage to Chucho, but hopefully this doesn't present a problem for Rueda. I think the list should remain how it is, but I'd take out Guagua and add Jairo Campos back in there. Whether he's doing good or bad is another story. Obviously we need Antonio to come back in the list for next month, so what do we do? take out Mendez? This is gonna be a tough one. The rest of the list should remain as it is. I'd love to see Fidel in there and Narvaez, but honestly there's no space and there's no one i'd take out to put them in. Tough decisions for Rueda.

8. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From the looks of it Valencia won't even be on the call ups for the next two qualifiers, Rueda says that he hasn't had any playing time for the last two months so he most likely won't make the cut this time. Check out teradeportes. This is pretty worrisome for me considering how much of an asset Valencia is to our offense , and seeing as how great he played the last two qualifiers :(. Should we be worried about no Valencia?

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    i think it's just this game. not the qualifiers. there's no way.

Rueda just wants Antonio to continue his training without any interruptions so he comes prepared in September for the Qualifiers. He'll be just fine in a month I hope.

10. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said, Hopefully it works out for him, He's extremely strong but he's no benitez even at his age. His finishing is atrocious and if the Seleccion is going to depend on him for goals, its going to be rough. He's already 21 years old at an age when most professional are said and done. He could be a late bloomer like the classic Ecuadorian footballers. I rather have Montero as a forward than Marlon any day.

11. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree I could see Montero as an option for forward in the remaining qualifiers, I just hope that Rueda puts a scoring mentality for these next few games, and I just hope that these guys could capitalize on the oppurtunities to score that they're given. The game I'm mostly worried about of the two in September is the one where they're facing Colombia. I just hope that our guys give it their all and try to win that game, even though we've never won on Colombian soil it's definitely not impossible. Can't wait to see these games I'm curious of the outcomes.

12. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    At this point, hopefully our guys understand that we have the keys to unlock the door to get to the WC in Brazil. By doing so, they need to score goals...preferrably to blow up the scoreline to add a Goal Difference buffer. Can we afford to lose against Colombia? Sure, I guess. Do we want to? Hell no. We need to win. Montero needs to be up front with Caicedo and slot Ibarra where Montero was on the wing.

ECUA-718 repped this.
  13. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think Marlon gives off the impression that his issue with finishing is worse than Benitez. In reality, if we look at the numbers Marlon scored 12 goals in 34 games while he was in El Nacional finishing off with a .35 goal scoring average. This is between the ages of 18-19. Right now Marlon has 25 goals scored in 65 games w/ a goal scoring average of .38. Keep in mind that Marlon is 21- the same age Benitez was when he left to Santos Laguna. At that age Benitez had a similar but lesser goal scoring average- 29 goals in 84 games. And I remember Benitez had a finishing problem back then. Maybe it wasn't as criticized at the time because he won 2 campeonatos with El Nacional, as opposed to Marlon who hasn't had that shine just yet (but he's close to it).

They're two different types of players. Benitez created the plays and individually caused havoc to opposing defenders and was able to score (after so many tries). In Marlon's case, he causes danger but in a different way. Through positioning, catching defenders off gaurd, using a combination of his strength and speed. Marlon is good w/ the ball at his feet, but he's no Benitez. In Benitez's case out of 4-5 opportunities he'd probably score 1 at that point in time, w/ Marlon it seems like he misses everything out of like 8 opportunities, but at the same time he has more opportunities to score because he's at the right place at the right time- something Benitez didn't really always have. The day Marlon learns to finish he'll be lethal and hopefully that day will come. By the time he's 23 or 24 I think he'll be more prepared. Unfortunately ecuas tend to bloom late and I think he's one of them, but we gotta start working now. I remember once Benitez came back from Birmingham, he was a calmer finisher and the pressure didn't eat him up anymore. Yes, he still had incredible misses but it was reduced by a lot compared to the earlier stages in his career...if anything Benitez became more dependable after his experience in the EPL.

Although Montero isn't a supporting striker, I believe he does have the qualities to play next to Caicedo. Montero's another "late bloomer" if you wanna say that. The funny thing is that he bloomed/is blooming right now while he's playing in the mexican league, and not while he was at Betis. His finishing has improved as seen in the qualifiers and in the last few games he's had this season. It may be the mexican league, but he wasn't doing this from the get-go two seasons ago when he came in Morelia. He's blooming now. So IMO, there's still hope for Marlon. He's got my support no matter how much we're going to have to suffer with him.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    All of our players seem to bloom at the age of 23-24. Unfortunately that hurts them because they only have a few years until they hit their prime.

15. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    So is Rueda gonna call up ANYONE to replace Erazo? I really liked what I saw from Arboleda vs. Dep. Lara, Seems like he will bloom into a solid defender. But I think Narvaez has got this, Solid defender that can play as a CB and RB and do it REALLY well. W eneed to start introducing young blood to the NT (Forget Guagua, hes horrid, even an injured Messi ran circles on him -_-') Would love to see Cristian Ramirez get a call up soon (Walter isn't getting any younger now (34 in a couple of days)

Also Michael Arroyo seemed to have an injury after the game vs. Mineros last night, eagerly hoping Martinez gets called up, its time..

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Robert Arboleda from Liga de Loja has very few games this season and hasn't won a starting spot in Liga de loja . He had a really good game against Deportivo Lara the other day in the Copa Sudamericana, but I think we still need more times to see how he develops...first let him win his starting spot in Loja, then we can look into it deeper. He's 21, so hopefully he breaks into the starting team soon for good. Interesting player, but no where near ready for the NT IMO.

There's actually a few defenders in the country that could seriously be taken into consideration. One of them is Luis Caicedo from Independiente del Valle who has played really well for 2-3 season now. I'm surprise no one has ever mentioned him, but i've been following the kid closely and he's improving more and more lately. The two games he had in the Sudamericana confirmed the great moment he's having. He just turned 21, so he's still pretty young. I feel like lots of Independiente players are completely ignored, but the best potential in the country is in that team- believe it or not. If I know Rueda well enough now, I know that he loves players who can adapt to more than one position. Luis Caicedo started off as a right back (position he played the last two season's since he's been on the come up) and now he's adapted really well to the center back position. This kid is as they say "parte de un proceso", and he's been consistently improving the last few years but this season has been his highlight.

Fernando Leon, another center back from Independiente del Valle who has been part of their proceso. Always a starter in Independiente since the beginning of the 2012 season. Probably not ready for the NT yet, but definitely on his way there. I think in a year or so, he'll hit that point where many people will consider him as a serious option for the NT. And seeing as he's 20 years old, he's still got a long way to go til he hits his prime and already has 2 years of experience as a starter in first division.

John Narvaez we obviously all know of and have seen how he's playing lately. There's no doubt he could be an option for Rueda, especially since he's part of the "proceso de la seleccion" starting from U-17 and up. Excellent player who I would love to see come in for Erazo (due to his injury).

We also have guys like Mario Pineida, another independiente del valle player who won his starting spot for good this season (finally). I really liked how he played in the U-20 from 2 years ago in the Qualifiers and WC. I'm glad his season is going well. This kid can play right or left back. This can only mean more options.

Finally, the other interesting center back is Andres Mendoza. 23 year old that plays for Universidad Catolica. Can't deny that kid has had a great season. One of Catolica's key players that are helping them battle the top positions of the campeonato. I'm liking what I'm seeing from this kid. We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes for him, but up til now he's been interesting. I hope Liga considers him an option for next season to replace Araujo...he's not getting any younger.

We'll have to see how Cristian Ramirez, Pedro Velasco, and Luis Ayala (left back from Independiente) do the rest of this season in their teams. But one part of the field im not so concerned about is defense. We have defenders, it just takes a good coach to take notice and make the call (even if it's risky). This is why I just can't understand why Guagua and Bagui (who isn't too bad, but still) make the cut when there's young players in the league outperforming them by a long shot. Thank God Rueda noticed Gabriel Corozo....but it seems like you have to be THAT good to impress Rueda at a young age and at this point only Corozo is in that bracket.

17. cristian1mv

cristian1mv Member

Jul 6, 2005
    http://www.futbolecuador.com/stories/publica/37550

Montero might be injured. How does the team look if he is unable to play against Spain? I think is important to try out Marlon in this very tough friendly to see if he can handle filing in for Benitez. If he fails, we have to find a new plan quickly.

Arquero:
    Domínguez Alexander (Liga de Quito)

Defensa:
    Paredes Juan Carlos (Barcelona)
    Achillier Gabriel (Emelec)
    Erazo Frickson (Barcelona)
    Ayoví Walter (Pachuca de México)

Volantes:
    Ibarra Renato (Vitesse de Holanda)
    Noboa Christian (Dínamo Moscú de Rusia)
    Méndez Edison (Liga de Quito)
    Arroyo Michael (Barcelona)

Delanteros:
    Caicedo Felipe (Lokomotiv de Rusia)
    De Jesús Marlon (Emelec)

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    We have about 8 first-class wingers. Depth in that position is never an issue. Every other position is a problem if we lose a starter.

19. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Marlon is out though because of an injury. His replacement was Valencia from Emelec.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why no Mondaini ?

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's tough to believe that Dennis Quinonez ended up getting a call over John Narvaez. I applaud Rueda for making good calls like Gabriel Corozo, but ignoring Narvaez and choosing Dennis Quinonez over him is just ridiculous.

Not too happy with Ener Valencia either. He's a good player, but he still hasn't 100% made it in Emelec. He's always on and off in the last 2-3 years, similar to Marcos Caicedo (another good player). Both of these guys need to consolidate themselves fully in Emelec before making it on the NT, just my opinion. There's Fidel Martinez, Joffre Guerron, Junior Sornoza, and Fernando Guerrero- just to name a few REAL stand outs in their teams EVERY week who actually deserve to make it in the NT, and they're getting completely ignored. Tough to understand Rueda sometimes.

22. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Logistically, it seems tough though. All of those other guys play abroad, and there was a super short time period to re-organize.

I agree with you on Dennis Quinonez though.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  23. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Yoya scored 2 goals last night. Couldn't have asked for better news. We need him in form for the rest if the qualifiers. Felipao is still playing only the last 20 minutes of each game for his club.

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    he saved Liga's ass from losing last night. Thank God for Yoya. I hope he continues to improve. Mendez seems inspired lately as well. Good for them.

25. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Michael Arroyo played the role of a #10 yesterday in Barcelona and did it well like i'd imagine. I always knew he had the qualities to play a role in the middle of the field or even behind a striker. I hope Rueda took note of that and watched him play yesterday. Reminded me a lot of how Mendez would have the freedom to play and make the ball circulate all over the field. Another player with the qualities to play that role is Fidel Martinez. it's just something about him and Arroyo's style of playing that makes it easy for me to tell that they can adjust to that role in the middle of the field.

Arroyo's freekick and long shot also make him valuable in that position. Those are two things Mendez always had aside from his great vision and creativity. Hopefully we see Arroyo's name on the list today and a few GOOD surprises. I'm pretty Jairo Campos is out of the list. So we're already one down.