Ecuador v Paraguay, 01/04/2009 (r)

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by GW Emperor, Mar 30, 2009.

1. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FIFA 2010 World Cup Qualification (CONMEBOL)

Round 12

Ecuador v Paraguay

Date: 01/04/2009

Time: 16.20, UTC-5

Destination: Estadio Olimpico Atahualpa, Quito, Ecuador

Referee: Wilmar Roldan (Colombia)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Squads:

Ecuador

Jose Francisco Cevallos (Liga Deportiva Universitaria), Marcelo Elizaga (Emelec), Maximo Banguera (Barcelona).

Neicer Reasco, Jairo Campos, Paul Ambrossi (all Liga Deportiva Universitaria), Miguel Ibarra (Espoli), Giovanni Espinoza (Barcelona), Jorge Guagua (El Nacional), Ivan Hurtado (Millonarios), Isaac Mina (Deportivo Quito), Deyson Mendez (Espoli).

Segundo Castillo (Everton), Edison Mendez (PSV Eindhoven), Antonio Valencia (Wigan), Cristian Noboa (Rubin Kazan), Joffre Guerron (Getafe), Walter Ayovi (Monterrey), David Quiroz (Emelec), Patricio Urrutia (Liga Deportiva Universitaria), Jefferson Montero (Independiente del Valle Jose Teran).

Felipe Caicedo (Manchester City), Cristian Benitez (Santos Laguna), Pablo Palacios (Barcelona), Walter Calderon (Liga Deportiva Universitaria), Joao Rojas (Emelec).

Paraguay

Justo Villar (Real Valladolid), Aldo Bobadilla (Independiente Medellin), Diego Barreto (Sol de America).

Dario Veron (Pumas UNAM), Julio Cesar Caceres (Boca Juniors), Julio Cesar Manzur (Libertad), Aureliano Torres (San Lorenzo), Carlos Bonet (Libertad), Pedro Benitez (Tigres UANL), Paulo da Silva (Toluca), Denis Caniza (Olimpia), Miguel Angel Samudio (Libertad).

Enrique Vera (America), Edgar Barreto (Reggina), Osvaldo Martinez (Monterrey), Cristian Riveros (Cruz Azul), Jonathan Santana (San Lorenzo), Victor Caceres (Libertad), Sergio Aquino (Libertad), Eduardo Ledesma (Lanus), Marcelo Estigarribia (Le Mans), Rodrigo Burgos (Cerro Porteno).

Nelson Haedo (Borussia Dortmund), Salvador Cabanas (America), Oscar Cardozo (Benfica), Edgar Benitez (Pachuca), Jorge Achucarro (Atlas), Roque Santa Cruz (Blackburn Rovers).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    we better win this game with so many doubts and injuries on the Paraguay side....bad luck played a part, as well as a troubled spot with finishing. Benitez is a great finisher and had problems finding the back of the net on a few either because of the God blessed Julio Cesar blocking shots, or they were wide of the mark by a few inches, etc...I think Benitez will start alongside Palacios on Wednesday because they're both good finishers and the game looks to be spacious enough for Palacios to use his speed and good touch to beat defenders with through balls, or even the occasional pelotazo.

I think the bigger test is for Sixto, and whether he can make the appropriate changes with a reasonably good amount of time remaining....Suarez was notorious for not only waiting till the end to make his subs, but he also did them with dubious intelligence and honestly, I saw Sixto on Sunday wait too long when there was a clear deadlock knowing full well what Noboa singlehandedly did to change the pace of the game vs the u21 England squad...

I really wish Isaac Mina wasn't injured, I think that with him out, it really caused us to have to improv versus Brazil when we pushed Ayovi to defense...Guerron would have been benched had Ayovi been the midfielder with Mina as a starting defender AND POSSIBLY the game could have been different....now we'll see how Ambrossi can do on the left and hope that Guerron is benched for Noboa.

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah I agree with LDU...Suarez and of course Bolillo were the best at making those substitutions. I'm pretty sure everyone here remembers Suarez putting Franklin Salas in for a handful of games in the last Qualifiers in the 2nd half....and of El Mago always responded 100% just b/c hes a great. GOD i miss him playing!! He always tore the opposing teams defense apart and participated in some way in the team winning and scoring. but then again back then we did have Tin playing up front which can make all easier for any player.

My line up against paraguay:

Cevallos

Reasco, Hurtado, Espinoza, Ambrossi

Valencia, Mendez, Castillo, Noboa

Benitez, Palacios

I pray to God Benitez and Palacios don't f*ck this one up!!

5. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ecuador has to win this game no matter what. If they lose or tie than bye bye South Africa..

This would be best:

Argentina win Over Bolivia
    Brasil Win over Peru
    Chile win over Uruguay
    Venezulea Win or tie over Colombia
    Ecuador Win over Paraguay

This would put Ecuador in a 5th place tie With uruguay but with less Goals. Ecuador is going to have to play their asses off to make it.

6. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I saw the game 2 times and to me Brasil had all the luck in the world.

Vizuete put the best line up possible against Brasil and it showed.
    there were 25 shots at goal, but unfortunately we only scored once on
    their great GK who also had luck on his side.

Ayovi did an excellent job filling in for Mina... his defending and going forward offensively made a difference. looks like it will be Ambrossi replacing Ayovi this Wed unless Vizuete finds a better alternative.

Guerron looked unstoppable, but should have passed the ball when he
    had the chances. if this changes Ecuador will score.

Caicedo was marked the whole game.. Robinho was commanding defenders to mark him.

Vizuete should go with the same line up the first half and
    substitute Caicedo and Guerron the second half.

Noboa should start but for who ? Castillo?

7. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    best quote from youtube:

"Si a Brazil se la hicimos el resto es papaya"

make sure to hit the HQ button

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYh9QwB8JU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYh9QwB8JU[/ame]

8. \^the king^/

\^the king^/ Member

Jul 4, 2007
    wherevr da action @
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    This one is probably the most exciting match yet.its for all the marbles man, whoever vizuete puts on the field better understand that. The defense and cevallos better play their asses off as well, this one can be their last chance to play another world cup.

9. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Guerron missed two easy wide open shots WOW. That game should of been 5-0 O well let go ecuador beat paraguay ************.

10. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only change to the starting XI that I would possibly make (besides of course the Ayovi replacement) is to have Rubin Kazan midfielder Cristian Noboa starting as opposed to a bench role.
    With regards to the striking duo, Cristian Benitez is going to be coming up against quite a few familiar faces in this match, in which fellow Mexican Primera players will be present on the opposing side and it is against such individuals that Benitez has been proving to pull off top performances and net goals. As well as this, it is also expected that Wigan general manager John 'Benno' Benson, and his scouts Paintin and Barlow, will be on the prowl during the game, in what could be the final scout report prior to Steve Bruce making the final decision on signing Benitez, therefore meaning that Benitez will be looking to pull off a top performance. When it comes to his strike partner Caicedo, the Manchester City striker's physical attributes could cause a problem for the Paraguayan's, hence why I would start the big guy, however I would bring him off at around the 60 minute mark to give a decent amount of playing time to Barcelona's Pablo Palacios.
    In terms of absense's for the game, Ecuador will only have only one significant absense in the form of Monterrey's Walter Ayovi (suspension), whereas Paraguay will have four key players missing in the form of Julio Cesar Caceres, Nelson Haedo Valdez, Edgar Barreto, and Roque Santa Cruz. Combine these Paraguayan absenses with the high altitude barrier, and Ecuador's must win attitute, and I can only see Ecuador coming out victorious in this one. I predict Ecuador to win 2-0 or 2-1.

11. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benson was there against Brazil apparatnly to watch Benitez.

The local newspaper here says that Bruce will fly out to watch this game himself.

12. batch

batch New Member

May 27, 2005
    Wigan
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also what is Benitez goal scoring record at international level ?

Basically to make some points. A Wigan fan on one of our forums is claioming that he;s seen Benitez "about 15 times" and that he's rubbish, has only scored so many goals for his club because he gets loads of chances, and that he only scores so many for the national team because south american defences "arent even a tenth as good as Permiership defences"

13. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Local newspapers are usually the more trustworthy regarding the local club. Bruce and co certainly are serious about signing Benitez, and with Bruce himself heading out to Quito it most definately shows this.
    On a different note Batch, unfortunately the game wont be aired on Sky Sports this time, so if your going to be viewing the game it will have to be done via online stream. I will be viewing the game via my Sky Bet online bookies account, but I will do a hunt for other streams before the game and will post any decent one's in this thread.

14. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The league that he is playing in at present 'the Mexican Primera' is a fantastic league and is ranked at around 7th or 8th best in the World. It is rapidly developing with each year, and at present is basically on par to the standard of the German Bundesliga, minus Bayern Munich, if that helps you evaluate the standard at all. Benitez has an impressive goal scoring record in this division, this as well as at El Nacional of the Ecuador Serie A where he was prior. He is a great player and his style would suit the EPL perfectly. He has fantastic pace, works incredibly hard, has a lot of passion for the game, and he has a neat ability to sneak behind the defenses unnoticed. After the game against Brazil, England legend Trevor Francis applauded the performance of Benitez and pretty much pleaded with EPL managers to sign the Ecuadorian. Not only that but Brucie, and that amazing scouting department of his, know a top rising talent when they see one, and have a proven record of discovering such hidden gems. With such individuals pulling him towards the EPL this guy is destined to be a hit. Chucho Benitez will drive EPL defenses mad next season.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Let's just say Benitez is one of the most dangerous forwards....and by dangerous I mean he creates about millions of opportunities to score to his team mates and himself by breaking another teams defense apart...but to make it simple out of 10 opportunities you will see Benitez create, you'll be lucky to see him score 1.

16. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The only notable absences for Paraguay in this game are Julio Caceres and Morel Rodriguez, the rest aren't much of a big loss; Santa Cruz doesn't play well at high altitude so it would have been more of a hassle to have him there. Haedo Valdez might not play by his own choice as he already said he doesn't feel well at high altitude and would be replaced by a striker who doesn't mind it that much, and Baretto has been having bad times lately.

Goodluck and here's hoping for a good game tommorow (and that Enrique Vera gets some love in Quito ;) )

17. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hello Everyone,

It's been a while but I'm back on bigsoccer. I think it was 2007 when I last lived on this thing but Sunday frusturated me so much that I figured I should jump back into the lovely world of bigsoccer.

First of all, my God I hope Vizuete talks to Benitez and begs him to PLEASE convert on at least 5% of his chances. This is not the first time this happens, it happened against Colombia in Quito and it has happened in various other games as well.. we can no longer afford to miss those quality chances! Secondly, another tip for Ecua's forwards is to LIFT THEIR HEADS when playing. There were two or three instances in Sunday's game versus Brasil that Ecuador could have had CLEAR CUT chances at the Brasil net if they had made that ONE extra pass, instead they refuse to lift their heads and attempt at achieveing glory themselves.

As down as I was feeling Sunday night and all of yesterday, I believe that todavia si se puede. A win Wed night vs Paraguay is a must and I am confident that Ecuador will have 16 points by Thursday morning.

Regarding the lineup against Paraguay, I would not mind seeing the same guys start, the team played well against Brasil but the problem was converting their chances into goals.

18. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  19. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Jeje solo de los hinchas de la Liga....pero si Enrique Vera es un jugadorazo y aca se lo quiere bastante, y creo que es mutuo el sentimiento porque el alcanzo ese nivel jugando en Liga.
    Igualmente a ti loco, suerte mañana y ojala sea un partido limpio y bien jugado. Ahi estare apoyando a la tri en la general y gritando por todos los Ecuas del foro :p

20. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    That kind of overconfidence will cost lots of points to Paraguay. I remember in WCQ 98' when we were 1st at the end of the first round by a mile and finished 3rd with just 4 teams making it at that time since Brazil was the World Champ and didn't have to go thru clasif. with only 2 points over the fourth (Chile).:rolleyes:

21. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    What overconfidence?? Haedo struggled big time in the last game against Bolivia and we have players in Mexico that are a little bit more adapt to the Altitude, if there is one thing that Paraguay can not be accused of is overconfidence, everyone is aware of how hard these 2 games are for PY, Tata Martino already has hinted that we are going to play bunker down defence and every one is just hoping for a Tie, how is that overconfident?

22. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Well Tevez really struggled in Bogota playing against Colombia and so others and I cant even imagine them telling maradona that they won't go to La Paz cause they don't feel well in the altitude,LOL !! None of them would ever be called up again. Or tell me does Tacuara plays in Portugal in the altitude???:D

23. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Tacuara is a poacher that stands in the middle of the box waiting for the ball, Haedo runs like crazy every single minute he plays , that's his game, and like I said we have other players that are pretty good, playing in Mexico's altitude, plus this was something taken out of context by the media in PY, Haedo came out limping after the game against Uruguay and he was doubtful for the game then the media already added that he struggles in the altitude anyways and It went from there, still that does not amount to overconfidence.

24. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Only if that is the case then there is no more discussion...

25. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I am one of those people who thinks its finally Palacios' time up front and BEG TO GOD Noboa plays instead of Guerron.

Cevallos; Reasco, Hurtado, Espinoza, Ambrossi; Valencia, Mendez, Castillo, Noboa; Benitez, Palacios